someone who always smells like paint?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BethM, Jul 6, 2011.

1. BethM

BethM New Member

Hi, I've been away from this board for a long time. I have fibro, diagnosed many years ago. I manage it pretty well, and it's been much better since I banned gluten from my life about 2 years ago. I'm not cured, but definitely better.

I need the experience and wisdom of the members here. I have an aquaintance who is still on a journey for answers for her symptoms and pain. My question to you, is that to me, she always smells like fresh paint. Is this a symptom of something? Has anyone encountered this before? (Please do not think I'm a nutcase... I'm looking for answers so I can offer help to her.)

Her symptoms include exercise intolerance, muscle and joint pain, digestive disturbances, fatigue, food intolerances... sound familiar? Her doctor is not too helpful, but recently ordered blood tests which may help.

So. Illness can cause odors. But I am stumped about the paint smell. And since fresh paint can be a migraine trigger for me, I'm sensitive to it. Any thoughts or ideas?

Humbly, Beth.
  2. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

Could it be the result of meds or supplements? I know I've noticed my body odor (sorry TMO) changes when I take different meds etc. I am super sensitive to smells too, it's difficult to deal w sometimes.

My husb uses inhalers for asthma/allergies and I cannot stand to be around him when he uses them!
  3. BethM

BethM New Member

Well, this person doesn't take many meds. I don't know what it is, and I'm hesitant to comment about it. This is strange, even for me! Maybe I'll get brave and talk to her about it. Thanks for your reply!
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I looked at a few sites. An odor of paint or gasoline can be a sign of
    using inhalants. For example, paint, glue or fingernail polish.

Most of the sites weren't really helpful. Just discuss how to get rid of
    paint odors.

5. Jittle

Jittle Member

Don't know if this will be helpful, but it could be something she uses in daily life and does not even realize it.

For instance if my husband eats anything garlic I can smell it on him (through his pores for days). Your friend could be using something and the smell comes out through her pores.

She could also have an hightened sense of smell. You were worried about sounding like a nutcase (you don't). My husband thinks I am crazy, and so do most doctors because even as a smoker I can pick up the smallest scents, evey smell, even if they are old. I swear our air conditioning makes a funny smell, and my hubby thinks I am crazy
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

If the liver isn't working well, it can leave amonia in the blood and a person can smell like it if it gets severe. This is a serious condition. I think your friend should see a doc. If it's nothing, that's good.

Love, Mikie