Somersizing Works! Health Update

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Dec 26, 2002.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Dear Friends,

I've told y'all that I have lost 24 pounds on the Somersize diet and my blood pressure has gone back down to normal withing 8 days on the diet. I also told y'all I'd let you know how my cholesterol was after seeing my doc.

I saw him this morning and we went over my lab tests. My cholesterol has dropped from 191 to 166 and my triglicerides and LDL to HDL ratio are normal. Both were bad before I started the diet.

This just confirms for me what the docs are now saying: It's not the fat and cholesterol we eat which gives us high cholesterol; it's the carbs. I eat all the cream, butter and meat I want on the Somers diet.

I am soooooo happy! Another plus is that I have more energy on this diet, less pain, and I'm not feeding any pathogens the sugar that they thrive on.

Love, Mikie
  2. allhart

allhart New Member

this is so grate im so happy for you i hope some more around here will try it that way we can see more proof of how well it works,
  3. 24 lbs. in 8 days!!! That is fantastic! And the lab tests too!!! Do you know what the difference is between the Atkins and somersize diet? I know they are both low carbs but other than that. Do you have to cut carbs and sugar out altogether? I am trying to decide which to go on. Does the somersize have a website also like atkins? Do you find it hard to follow?
  4. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

Her bp went down in 8 days, not 24 lbs. It probably took a few more days for the weight. This is wonderful!

Congratulations Mikie on the most exciting news you probably had all year! When your cholesterol drops like that, it's reason to celebrate! Hubby and I are starting Jan. 1 with Atkins, and then will gradually slide into Somers. I've put on some more poundage over the holidays and am fed up and sick and tired of it all. I miss my skinny self and realize it's all up to me and in my control to be either fat or thin. I choose thin and can't wait. I remember what it's like to be thin and it was wonderful!

Keep up the good work!

Marilyn :)
  5. REread it! LOL! Sorry I thought that was alot of weight to lose in 8 days! Hey were women, we can hope for that much!! LOL! But still great news!!!!!
  6. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

Atkins is basically zero starch and zero sugar in the beginning and CAN be difficult to stay on. Somers allows some natural sugars in the form of fruits, I believe. I'm sure she has a website also, just use her name as keywords when doing a search.

Marilyn
  7. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Congrats on the weight, and esp. on the Lipid profile. I am holding at 20 lbs. lost, and don't expect to lose more during the holidays. I have cheated twice already,and it made me feel so much worse, I can really see how much carbs were contributing to my poor health. I wish my LDL had not gone up so much from eating meat again, but it did, and I do not eat butter or cream. I'm glad that didn't happen to you.
    Hugs,
    Klutzo
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Sorry bout that. I can see how the 8 day thing was confusing.

Until I put on the weight from the Elavil and Flexeril and started craving carbs, I never had any trouble with my lipids. It was always around 166 no matter how much meat, dairy, etc. I ate. When I got sick with FMS, became hypoglycemic and then insulin resistant, the carbs were making everything go haywire. Cutting out the carbs has made such a HUGE difference for me.

Klutzo, I'm so sorry this doesn't work for you too. I think you're right; if high lipids are inherited, it's really a problem.

The Atkins Diet focuses on the state of ketosis, which will happen if one cuts out practically all carbs, eats a lot of protein, and if one eats about every two hours. The Somers Diet is a little more lenient in the beginning and, I believe, a littler easier to follow because it allows low-glycemic index fruits if eaten by themselves. It is sooooo nice to be able to have an orange, apple, or a little melon or berries. Makes the diet easier to stay on. Somers also has yummy recipes to keep things from getting boring.

I do try to get the cinnamon, onions, garlic, and celery in my diet as the Syndrome X Nutritional Guide suggests to lower the blood sugar and help control blood pressure and lipids.

When I get to Level II, I plan to get the Somers Dessert Cookbook. I've already had her cheesecake and it was good. Of course, at this state, almost anything relatively sweet tastes great, but I'm no longer craving sweets. I keep myself full of fat. I make either chai with tea and cinnamon made from Constant Comment tea, cream, and stevia or chocolately mocha made with decaf coffee, unsweetened powdered cocoa, cream, and stevia. Both are very satisfying drinks.

Good luck to y'all on you lifestyle changes. It really does become a way of life and when the pounds start to come off, it's all worth it.

Love, Mikie
  9. Where do you buy the Stevia?? Is it at healthfood stores or?? I have never seen it.
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You can get it at the health food stores. It's a plant which is an antioxidant. You can buy the leaves, but most people use the refined product either in crystal form or liquid.

I have used Splenda from time to time, but it contains chlorine, which I don't believe is good for us. Suzanne Somers has her own sweetner and I guess I'll just have to break down and order the dessert book and sweetner combo. It's a pretty good deal.

Love, Mikie
  11. klutzo

klutzo New Member

In Dr. Starlanyl's book, in the chapter on Guai, she talks about how hard it was for her to give up Stevia, but that you must give it up since it interferes with the Guai. It is a plant, and it is ingested. How are you getting away with this? The more I read on this, the more exceptions there seem to be...way too confusing.
    About my lipids: My high LDL is not genetic. It was always normal before I went on high protein/low carbs. The "X" diet has caused it to jump from 121 to 187. It's my low HDL that is genetic and makes it impossible for me to achieve a normal risk ratio.
    :)
    Klutzo
  12. Grams

Grams New Member

Klutzo, I've done some reading about lipids, and I didn't realize that HDL levels were genetic while LDL levels are not genetically influenced.

It's my understanding that it's more difficult to raise HDL than it is to lower LDL. I've read that one way to give the HDL a boost is exercise. I've also read that yo-yo dieting and weight changes can adversely affect HDL to the point of making it extremely difficult to raise the HDL to a good level.

I read questions answered by doctors at the Med Help International forum. Med Help International is website with owners based in Melbourne, Florida. A large variety of health topics are covered, and I often search the Heart Forum for responses made by physicians.

The Med Help International Heart Forum can be found at medhelp dot org. Then click on the subject of interest on the left, or click on "search engine". There are also archives that can be searched. I've found lots of useful information searching for information about heart disease, thyroid conditons, and dermatology. I haven't used it for FMS or CFS. I hope this helps someone.

13. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I just started the diet about a week and a half ago, but I really love it. I got her latest cookbook and the recipes
    in it are so tasty and have so much flavor, its great.

I really love all her products and she has such a joyful out-
    like on life, I think it`s a little contagious and that`s a good think. Using her products makes me feel good and
    pampered and joyfuland I love that.

My husband does Adkins but I could never stick to that long.
    It was way to restrictive for me. I never felt good on
    Adkins but Sommersize I feel great and very energetic.
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Klutzo, Wow! I guess I didn't understand the situation. Sorry about that. I hope you can find a way to resolve this. Also, about the Stevia. I never thought about it, I guess. It is a concentrated form of a plant extracted and in concentrated form. It's possible it has blocked my Guai. I do use the Splenda and like it better than the Stevia, but I am not certain of the safety of the chlorine in it. I just don't eat much in the way of sweets, so for me, it's not much of a problem. I'll have to look in Dr. St. Amand's book to see whether Stevia is amentioned; I'll bet it is. Geez, it's hard to eliminate the sals. I'm so far along in the reversal process that unless I'm continually blocking, it isn't very noticible. Also, I take 2400 mgs now, so I'm really hitting my system hard with the Guai. I did have a little Guai flare when I increased it, but I don't believe there is much debris left in my soft tissues, so the Guai is mainly pulling the phosphates out before the body even has a chance to store it.

Grams, thans for the website.

SandyZ, I'm so glad you like the Somers diet. I like her too--she's such a Princess, in the best meaning of the word. She pampers herself without apology, as it should be, but she's no helpless Princess in a tower. She's a tough cookie who has arisen from the ashes to provide us with a healthy lifestyle we can live with.

Love, Mikie
  15. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I did not mean to imply that all high LDL's are not genetic, and all low HDL's are, only that MINE are. Nobody else has a high LDL in my family, while every single adult has abnormally low HDL, even though we are all exercising fools.
    If yo-yo dieting can permanently lower HDL, then that is another reason why I am having trouble. I have lost well over 200 lbs. in my adult life, going up and down, trying to make myself stay away from the sweets I constantly crave. Thanks for this info.
    I have read that the major risks are different for men and women. For men a family history of heart problems and a high total chol. are the biggest risks, but for women a low HDL and high triglycerides are the biggest risks. The HDL levels are different for each sex, and most doctors make the mistake of using the male chart, thereby giving some women a false sense of security. Men should have an HDL higher than 35, while women need one higher than 55, preferrably over 60. The reason for this is that our arteries are much smaller than mens, so we cannot afford as much gunk in our arteries before it causes problems.
    Back to diet....one of the biggest proponents of the high protein/low carb diets is Dr. Mercola. He feels strongly that high cholesterol and high LDL are not dangerous unless the LDL is being oxidized, which happens in the presence of free radicals. If you do not eat processed and refined foods, and if you do eat plenty of antioxidant foods, and avoid chemicals, and take vitamin E, he thinks you should be OK no matter what the numbers are. Who knows?!
    Whatever you belive, it's a fact that half of the people who have heart attacks have no risk factors, and many people with awful risk factors and lipid counts never have trouble. I myself know several folks with cholesterols that are always over 300, who are over 85 yrs. old and have never had a problem. I know two people with cholesterols of 700 and 800 who have not had problems, and one has had all his arteries scanned, but they found no plaque at all. His triglycerides are also over 700 and he's obese and smokes cigars. Why isn't he dead? So, IMO the docs are still missing some very big pieces of this puzzle, and we should take everything said with a large grain of salt.
    The high protein/low carb diet makes me feel a lot better and it is helping me lose weight without constantly wanting sweets, so I'm sticking with it and praying that I'm not digging myself an early grave with high LDL.
    Klutzo
  16. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Good for you. It is hard during the holidays. I live alone and just usually don't have the stuff around, because if it's here, I'll eat it. My Mom was a sugar pusher and it made it really hard for me when she lived with me. She craved sugar and everybody said she must know what she was doing as she lived to be 92, but I wonder what would have happened had she not eaten all that stuff. In the end, though, 92 is a nice ripe old age and she was active up til the end, so I guess you could say it was a good life.

Anyway, I digress. My weight loss, increase in energy, and most of all, decrease in BP and improvement in lab work has convinced me that the low carb way of life is much healthier. I hope there's a Heaven where people like us can indulge in all the sweet stuff we want without consequences. Nice dream.

Love, Mikie
  17. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Other people mean well ( I think ) when they make goodies for us that they know we love. Everyone knows dark fudge is my favorite thing, so guess what people have been giving me for Xmas? When I cheat, I feel so awful, and can even see the bloating coming back immediately. I have to keep asking myself "do you want to live?"...when I put it that way, what to do becomes clear and saying "no" is much easier.
    Klutzo
  18. dan0248

dan0248 New Member

Where can I find out about this diet.
  19. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

This is the name for Suzanne Somers' low-carb diet plan. You can buy her books at any bookstore; there are several which contain the basics of the diet and yummy recipes. Her diet is a little easier to adapt to than Atkins and some of the other diets out there.

Love, Mikie
  20. magpie48

magpie48 New Member

Thank you for sharing your info and congratulations on a job well done!

I've been reading about her plan for awhile. I'm considering starting this for the new year.

Keep up the good work!

Maggie