Somersweet

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TaniaF, Jun 24, 2003.

1. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

I was watching a show with Suzanne Somers about her somersize products. I was interersted in a protein shake that has somersweet in it. Is this a natural sweetner? Don't want to use anything artificial. I'm not doing weight loss, only a healthier diet.
    Thanks,
    Tania
  2. crissyfamily

crissyfamily New Member

My sister loves SomerSweet and is on the Somersize Diet for about 6 weeks and has lost about 30 lbs. She still has a lot to go though...

The can says that it is five times sweeter than sugar. It says it is blended with natural, sweet fibers you can feel good about using. Total calories: 0, Total fat: 0, Sodium:0, Total carbs less than 1g: 0, Fiber less than 1 g: 0, Sugars: 0, Protein: 0. Ingredients: Oligofructose, Insulin, Fructose, Sprouted Mung Bean Extract, Acesulfame K.

Well, that is all I can tell you....Hope that helps.

My sister is insulin resistant so she was heading towards becoming diabetic. So she is very carefully following the diet and uses this.

Take care...crissy
  3. zggygirl

zggygirl New Member

Hi,
    I noticed that Mikie said she put it in her tea. I was also interested in it since I know I get too much sugar and am looking for a sub.
    I didn't know it was a Suzan Somers product. In fact I am not sure who she is!!
    I tried looking for it in the health food store <G>. Anyway if you find out how to get it, would you mind posting the info for me?
    Thanks a bunch,
    Ziggy
    [This Message was Edited on 06/24/2003]
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I do believe that SomerSweet is the safest sweetner on the market next to Stevia. I prefer the taste of Splenda, but it contains chlorine and that is not good for us. SomerSweet is sold on Somers' website and on Home Shopping Network.

Her products are expensive. I do not use her shakes. I am on automatic reorder for this website's ImmunePlex whey protein powder. It is vanilla flavored. I can add it to skim milk and put fruit into it and even some ice for a smoothie with a little SomerSweet. I can add it to juice, or I can add it to skim milk, some ice, some unsweetened cocoa powder, and some SomerSweet for a chocolate shake.

ImmunePlex and ImmunePro whey powders are designed to help our immune systems and are much better for us than the Somer protein drinks and are less expensive if ordered on automated ordering. I also take the collostrum from ProHealth to try to build up my immune system.

Love, Mikie
  5. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

Thanks all for your replies. I have been using unbleached raw sugar, but thought a replacement might be worth a try.
    Mikie--those shake ideas sound delicious and I will try them (probably without real milk) Found some chocolate almond milk at the store the other day and have fallen in love. I'm not a dairy person and this stuff is full of nutrients and no dairy.
    Tania
  6. pumasees

pumasees New Member

Please, Before buying any product with Acesulfane K in it, do some research on it. It also has some toxic side affects like Nutra-sweet and Splenda. The only sweetner that I have ever been able to use without side affects is Stevia. All others make me ill to various degrees. Please use caution with these. There are many websites with info on them.

Debra