Something for friends and family to read so they understand

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by HelenFC, Nov 9, 2005.

1. HelenFC

HelenFC New Member

FibroMyalgia Talks To You

Hi,
    My name is Fibromyalgia and I am YOUR invisible chronic illness. I am now velcro’d to you for life. Others around you can’t see me or hear me but YOUR body feels me. I can attack you anywhere and anyhow I please. I can cause you severe pain or, if I’m in a good mood, I can just cause you to ache all over.

Remember when you and energy ran around together and had fun? I took energy from you and gave you exhaustion. Try and have fun now! I also took good sleep from you and in its place, gave you brain fog.

I can make you tremble internally or make you feel hot or cold when everyone else feels normal. Oh yeah, I can make you feel anxious or depressed too. If you have something planned, or are looking forward to a great day, I can take that away too.

You didn’t ask for me. I chose you for various reasons and I am here to stay!

I hear you’re going to see a doctor who can get rid of me. I’m rolling on the floor laughing. Just try. You will have to go to many many doctors before you even find one who believes I exist. You will put on pain pills, sleeping pills and anti depressants. You will be told you are suffering from anxiety or depression and told that if you just sleep and exercise more that I will go away. You will be told to think positive, poked, prodded, and most of all, laughed at when you say I am debilitating.

Your family, friends and colleagues will all listen to you at first until they get tired and bored of hearing how ill I make you feel and that I am a real disease. Some of them will tell you that “you are just having a bad day”. Some will just talk behind your back while you slowly feel that you are losing your dignity and the control over your life, especially when you are in the middle of a conversation with a ‘normal’ person, and can’t remember what you were going to say next! Eventually, most of them will probably think that it’s all in your head.

In closing, (I was hoping to keep this part a secret, but I guess you already found out) The only place you will get any real support and real understanding in dealing with me is with OTHER PEOPLE WITH FIBROMYALGIA.
  2. HelenFC

HelenFC New Member

I know how hard some people find it to understand how we feel. This letter really helped my friends and I hope it helps you in any way possible. Helen
  3. beth0818

beth0818 New Member

that was a great post
  4. Theresa03

Theresa03 New Member

That was great! Have you heard of the "Spoon Theory"??? It is a story about a woman who has Lupus but I think we can all relate to it. You can find it at "butyoudontlooksick.com" and click on "The Spoon Theory". I sent it to my family an friends....the tory brought tears to my eyes. Hope it helps too :)
  5. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Thank you SOOOO much for sending this. I love the tone as it seems that FM is mocking us just like people who don't understand do.

It's sad, but oh, so true.

I hope you get the last laugh on FM today!

Sue

PS Just printed this out...I want to keep it and maybe use it sometime if I think it might help to either straighten someone up or someone who has this and is feeling guilty. Thanks again.

[This Message was Edited on 11/10/2005]
  6. elsa

elsa New Member

Thank you .... This was beautifully written and presented. The tone of "fibromyalgia" is spot on ... It is a spiteful, mean, cruel SOB that elates when isolation is accomplished.

I'm lucky ... I did not suffer the humiliation and pain so many others here have and continue to have. I'm blessed with believing, supportive and educated doctors and family.

My hope is that the days of ignorance and cruelty are numbered.

Thank you again .... You have undoubtedly helped many today.

Elsa
  7. JLH

JLH New Member

Very well said!!

Thanks for writing this. I'm sure it will be a big help to many.