Something hilarious to say to our non believing "friends"

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lvjesus, Aug 5, 2005.

1. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I just thought of this while replying to another post and reading something Jeanne said.

Next time someone tries to tell you FM doesn't exist or it is all in your head or you can dance naked at dawn and it will cure you, look at them like they have 2 heads and say, whaaat?? Who on EARTH told you that??

As I said on the other thread, don't sit there passively and stew, act like they said something boneheaded (which they did).

Hey, if someone came up to you and said, hey, I heard old Chris Columbus tried to prove the world was round, but you know it is flat, you would think they had gone round the bend!

Why should it be different when you KNOW for a FACT that what you have is real, it is in your body, not your mind and it is hell for some of us. Anyone saying it is somthing else is ignorant and I think the reply should reflect that.

You don't have to be rude, just act like you are sympathetic that they are so misguided and uneducated.

I don't hear this, but if anyone uses it, let me know, won't you?

Sonya
  2. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

i think this is awesome not just for putting unsympathetic clones in their place, but it's also a sort of culture jamming tool. so many people in this world are just repeating something they heard on television or from another person, so anytime it's insinuated that they're misguided, it makes them question their whole belief system! they start asking, "where do i get my information? am i able to form my own opinions?" really it's a healthy character building tool for them. you're doing them a favor.

eddie
  3. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

LOL

That is a good point though about just regurgitating what they have heard. Recently I am jammed up about the whole Harry Potter debate, and I won't go into detail, but the thing I keep saying to my daughter is, don't let someone else give you your opinion, form one of your own.

My thing is are the people who are saying you shouldn't read this book parroting what someone else has said, or have they read ANY of it and formed their own opinion.

I had better step down off the soapbox now before I loose my balance and fall on my head :p

Sonya
  4. fivesue

fivesue New Member

My new line...I can hardly wait to use it! (-:

Thanks for making my day.
    Sue
  5. wangotango

wangotango New Member

if i am feeling good i have a very good list of combacks but they are tailored for each family member. just he other day i was making tea in a iced tea pot, as i added some suger a family member that drinks a 12 pack of beer a night and a 3 cases over a weekend and has RA not to mention all the medications she is on says to me (with a beer in hand) "you know if you would just stop drinking tea with sugar, your cf would go away). so i said that is kind of like me saying to someone with RA who is taking a bunch of medications that are toxic to the liver "you know if you just stoped drinking beer the pathways in the lever that processes your medications would start working and your RA would go away" . she started yelling and told me that is defferent. and i shook my head like a little kid and said yes you are right.
    generally when i hear a negative little shot, like well if i would only drink cranberry juice, i would be back to normal, i ask them this "does cranberry juice effect the KREBS cycle or does it increase the K+/NA pump in the mitochondria of cells ?" something i know they cant answer and a little light goes on and i wont hear from them for a while.
    it all works but makes for a little tension in the ols family, ya know someone with CFS is not supposed to be smarted than someone who works. wheeee haaaa be well bill
  6. victoria

victoria New Member

AND Bill...

Everyone wants to play expert with everyone else, without taking a look at themselves.....

Great responses!

V
  7. Sue50

Sue50 New Member

I think I heard this on Oprah- when someone says something rude to you about your disease, reply: why would you want to say something like that to me?
  8. matthewson

matthewson New Member

I was talking to a co-worker yesterday at lunch and she was telling me that her mother's cousin is Neil Armstrong the astronaut. And her mother and father to this day, believe that he never actually landed on the moon. They believe (as a lot of people do!) that it was filmed in the desert.

I asked her, but didn't she ever talk to her cousin about it? She said her family is HUGE (both sides) and they actually didn't have much contact with a lot of them.

My co-worker, like me, was always very science-oriented, but she said she gave up arguing with them a long time ago!

So if you tell someone the world is flat, they just may agree with you!

Take care, Sally
  9. sofy

sofy New Member

I never try to argue with someone.

If someone asks me how I am today I say "UPRIGHT"
    This always pputs them off kilter.
    When my doc says that to me I usually say "well I was good enough to get myself here"

The best part of humor is it makes you laugh instead of getting yourself all upset by what they said. If you turn their negative remark into humor it puts you in charge and laughter is a positive force on our health.

Turning a negative situation into your own positive is a powerful thing for you and lets face it we dont have much power anymore so grab it where you can get it and throw that funny barb at em!!!!!!!

10. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I didn't know Tylenol with codine was a psyche med!!!

I guess we would though if we read those medical journals, huh??? LOL

Sonya

PS. Why didn't you ask him for a copy?