Some'thing' I can lean on

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kathysue, Oct 11, 2002.

1. kathysue

kathysue Guest

Hi everyone! Since many of us are none to steady on our feet...was just wondering if I am the only one who now and then needs something extra to steady themselves with? There's part of me that actually shudders at the idea of carrying a cane/walking stick. My family and friends have come right out and laughed at me when I expressed a need for one. When I do get out and about,I can be walking along slowly(but fine)when I'll either stumble,run into,or squat to veiw things when we're out shopping or walking--and have had to ask someone to help me back up. This DD is maddening, and sometimes so humiliating!!!How do I get myself and family over the fact it's NOT my age,or mental state that warrants a cane? Should I just begin taking it with,whereever I go to get used to it? Thanx for any suggestions. I hope everyone finds peace and love in their day today.
    KathySue[This Message was Edited on 10/11/2002]
  2. kathysue

kathysue Guest

Hi everyone! Since many of us are none to steady on our feet...was just wondering if I am the only one who now and then needs something extra to steady themselves with? There's part of me that actually shudders at the idea of carrying a cane/walking stick. My family and friends have come right out and laughed at me when I expressed a need for one. When I do get out and about,I can be walking along slowly(but fine)when I'll either stumble,run into,or squat to veiw things when we're out shopping or walking--and have had to ask someone to help me back up. This DD is maddening, and sometimes so humiliating!!!How do I get myself and family over the fact it's NOT my age,or mental state that warrants a cane? Should I just begin taking it with,whereever I go to get used to it? Thanx for any suggestions. I hope everyone finds peace and love in their day today.
    KathySue[This Message was Edited on 10/11/2002]
  3. fibolady

fibolady New Member

seem to be #1 on my list of places to avoid. to think i used to be at the mall every week. most malls have the tile floors which are killers. there is a lot of manuvering in malls with all the traffic which makes it difficult, you are not alone.

only about 1 a month do i feel "good" enough to go with my daughter and usually its just one or two stores beside each other. i do miss going and would love to go if i could have some assistance (like a motorized cart)

had to give up carrying shopping bags loooong time ago.

so far i haven't had the courage to do that (i'm soon to be the young age of 45) people just don't understand the little things we give up that make such a big dent in our lives. just a little more joy stolen.

i'm sorry your family/friend laughed at the idea of you using a cane. by the way, i collect canes and there are some really neat ones out there. maybe we could start a fashion trend. it would also make a nice defensive weapon just in case we got attacked in the parking lot!!

warm regards, fibolady
    [This Message was Edited on 10/11/2002]
  4. battyforbeanies

battyforbeanies New Member

I just wanted to say I can understand why you would want a cane or something to lean on. I haven't gotten one myself My hands and arms are so messed up I couldn't carry one around. My family keeps trying to get me to go places with them. They have offered to get a wheelchair and push me around. I feel I would rather stay at home then have to use one. When I was in the hospital in May and they send you out in a wheelchair. Well the little old lady who they had to push my fat butt out. Well I wanted to get out and push her around.
    I don't get out to stores much but the little bit I do I always grab a cart to lean on when my back and legs feel so bad. There is a Lady in my support group (Women with chronic pain) who uses a cane and I don't blame her a bit. Do whatever makes you feel comfortable that is the only way we can keep plugging away at life with this DD.
    Wishing you a good evening,
    Vickie C.
  5. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

I'm 39 ys old and I get off balance, dizzy and I needed something to lean on when I'm out so I did purchase a cane. I take it when I know I'm gonna have to be standing or walking alot. Usually when I go to the store I lean on the cart but other places I do take it. I just started using mine last month and yes people look at ya, especially the older people but hey it helps me and I would be more embarrassed to fall so I dont care what other people think, its my health and I'm the one walking on these legs..not them. I ordered my folding cane thru house of canes dot com. Its very nice and fashionable..I'm proud of my cane cause when I have nobody else to lean on..I know my canes always gonna be there for me.
    Take Care
    Carlacat
  6. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

I just left an absentee bid on an adjustable cane at the auction I sometimes still work at. I have been using my German Shepherd for support, but at 10 years old, I don't know how much longer it will be before HE needs support. At least with the cane, people tend to be a little more cautious about shoving you out of their way, and if they aren't, you can always use it to trip them. As far as using it on a mugger, I really prefer to use my .380. It is far more effective, and the judge doesn't get confused by having to listen to two sides of the story.
    Kathryn