Something in the air in Florida?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bpmwriter, Sep 29, 2005.

1. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

Anyone in Florida, particularly, West Central, having problems breathing the last month or so? I've been experiencing shortness of breath. Have tried a z pak (antibiotics) to knock out any possible infection, but no results. I have a friend, who doesn't have fibro, who went to the doc last week with similar symptoms. Is there something in the air right now? I saw on the news a couple weeks ago that the air quality was terrible, but it was supposed to blow over and improve. Any insight from our Floridians would be appreciated.

Eddie
  2. kbak

kbak Member

I don't think it's just a Florida problem. I live in WY. I have been complaining to other's about what in the world is going on. Is it a cold or allergies? I truly cannot remember another yr. when I haven't been able to breath.

It was really warm for us the last month, so I've had my windows open. I finally shut the windows and turned on our air pruifier. It has made a great difference. I do think there is something in the air.
  3. Txslady

Txslady New Member

Myself and my niece have been having the same problems. We have facial pressure, headache and general aching all over but no infection. It has to be sinus or allergies.

Shannon
  4. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

i'm housesitting for my brother near the beach so it make sense that the red tide is contributing to my symptoms.
    i haven't experienced these asthma-like symptoms since i was a kid. since i have these fearful experiences from childhood, it makes it that much more difficult to deal with catching my breath. shortness of breath = anxiety, vicious cycle.

can anyone recommend a good over the counter asthma nebulizer? something good for us sensitive types, no alcohol, aspartame or msg :) i'm going to run down to the drugstore and pick up something shortly so all suggestions are appreciated.

eddie
    [This Message was Edited on 09/29/2005]
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The Red Tide is killing fish all along the West Gulf Coast. When it dries, it can be carried for many miles on the wind. It is a neurotoxin and causes lower respiratory distress. I can always tell when it's here.

In addition, I believe there is a virus of some kind going around. I've felt as though I've been coming down with something for about three days. By yesterday, I could feel my lungs filling up and I had a bladder infection. I've been on my zapper every day for a while to try to rid my body of this infection. Yesterday, I started taking my Doxycycline again and will continue for about another week. If I catch the respiratory thing early, it doesn't go into full-blown bronchitis or pneumonia.

I ran my zapper yesterday with a piece of metal over the bladder area. Even though the current is delivered through the ankle bands, it is attracted to metal and will concentrate there. By last night, the bladder inflammation and frequency were gone. I also drank several glasses of cranberry juice.

I've found that correcting things early is the key with our illnesses. Even though my doc and I started ABX last year when I got the flu, it took months for recovery. I keep ABX and AV's on hand so that I'm not dependent on my doc. If I can't clear it up on my own, I can always call him.

Love, Mikie
  6. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

what symptoms would indicate that a repiratory problem had developed into pneumonia? i'm still having problems with shortness of breath, sneezing and scratchy throat, but i'm not coughing or having any kind of discharge. a heating pad on my chest helps, so does getting in the pool for some strange reason. any insight?

eddie
  7. achy

achy New Member

I do have asthma, and the goldenrod bloom doesn't help, but I have the same things you describe.

I think its a combo of the red tide, the dust/debris for all the storms, etc.

Try taking an OTC decongestant, store brand is fine. The pseudeo.....whatchamacallit is what my pulmonary doc reccomends when asthma flares. It will open you up w/o making sleepy.

just gotta wait till it passes.
    Achy
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I am prone to getting fluid on my lungs when I get the flu. I had asthma when I lived in Colorado, along with bronchitis and sinusitus every year. My last year there, it went into pneumonia.

Last year, when I got the flu, the doc could hear the fluid in my lungs even before I realized it was there. He got me on ABX and an inhaler right away.

I actually could hear and feel the fluid this time round and wasted no time in taking steps to dry it up. Yesterday, my lymph nodes were swollen but not quite as bad. Today, I am better still. I hope that my early intervention helps this crud not to hang around.

I was even able to go out today. The Red Tide is supposed to be gone now and I am breathing better. My lungs feel clear and my bladder infection seems to be gone.

My stepdad was a doctor and I was used to having my own pharmacy at home. I knew when I could treat things and when I needed to go to the doc. For years, I didn't have that luxury after my Dad died. Now, my doc has given my ABX, AV's, and inhaler Rx's with refills. It helps me to be able to nip things in the bud early on.

Love, Mikie