Something Insane, Humiliating About US Medical Care

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by joeb7th, Oct 11, 2006.

1. joeb7th

joeb7th New Member

I first experienced many of the same symptoms you all have described here starting 10 months ago.

I have been in the hospital ( in the beginning ) and had many tests performed since then. Except for easily seen "physical" problems like torn rotator cuff, fractured vertebrae, colon damage, neck disk damage, etc...everyone I see now just shakes their heads about what else may be wrong with me in making me feel like I am so sick,
    haywire feeling, weak, tremoring, unbalanced and nauseous almost daily to the point where I feel like I am going to pass out. Sick feeling beyond description actually. Blood tests in the beginning months ago were negative.

Now I am at a point where my PC refuses to do any more tests ( I have asked for retests of internal/immune system after 8 months for the first and only ones. ) and when I call his office in the worst most scary times of my suffering ( maybe once every month or two ) just because I feel I should as a last step before going to an ER I am told to wait until there is an opening, maybe 1 or more days later. I have no choice but to wait and suffer unless I go to an ER.

The way doctors manage their patient visit times is in such a way that unless you stumble in and collapse on their floor, usually you just have to wait your turn in line days later. When you are this sick...only you out there no how traumatic and scary and discouraging it feels to know that you are on your own unless you can see a doctor some other way.

This leaves you with the option of seeing a Doctors-On-Duty, where again you will have to wait hours sometimes unless you are about to collapse or have already. And the times I have gone to these Doctors-On-Duty they always say my condition looks to be too complicated for them and to go "back" to my own PC or an ER!

Then at the ER...even if you have insurance you have big deductibles and if you are not working you just fall deeper into debt by doing this $500 act.

And on top of this ( at least in my experience ) every doctor now just acts so short, even irritated when I walk in the door. Like "here comes the over-exaggerating hypo chondriac."

The Local ER doc even says..."Oh, it's you again. Upset stomach again? Weird unexplained pains, feelings, nausea?Lets give you some morphine and atavan and let you lay here for two hours and then you can go home, okay?"

But Doctor, this isn't just an upset tummy, I can't even explain to you how bad, weak, sick, painful and scared I feel. I feel like I am being constantly poisoned inside and my whole body feels massively sick?

"Hmmm. let's do a blood test, urine test, maybe even a stomach Xray. And if nothing comes up...as is usually the case with you, I'm sorry but there's nothing more we can do for you."

Oh, how encouraging and thoughtful.

I am in my mid-fifties. Worked all my life, raised a family, kept the straight and narrow. I have NEVER gone to doctors pleading for help like I am now. I NEVER went to ER's in such distress...and I have never felt so disturbingly sick as I do now. Nor have I ever felt so humiliated.
    This isn't slight nausea, slight discomfort in my intestinal tract or just not feeling right. I know what that feels like.

This feels like a complete body poisoning all over, inside and out. I cannot explain all the scary, haywire, almost passing out things I feel. Heart jumping, bladder urges, joint pain, nausea, wincing pains, chills and shakes and tremors, etc. etc. and an instinctual feeling that everything is going all at once. Off balnce, weak legs, I don't care if you are a tough guy man or woman...it's enough to bring you to tears! Many of you know what I am talking about.

The combination of an entire body collapsing, several times a day feeling like this along with knowing that you are more and more being shunted aside medically and you have almost no credibility with doctors and facilites that are purposely booked, harried and downplaying like this...is devastating.

I hate our medical system. Because I have never been like this in my 50+ years, suffered like this...and to not be taken seriously and having everyone so booked that they can't deal with you unless you pass out....just makes me believe that our system of medical care is insanely misguided, humiliating and mistreating in too many ways.
  2. elliespad

elliespad Member

AMEN, HOLY S*(T, where's the Tylenol! We all been there, done that, way too many times.

I see in another post, you asked for a doctor referral in California. About 5 or 6 years ago, I consulted with Dr. David Gersten. He did THE most extensive testing, of Mitrochondria, amino acids, oxidative stress, gut flora, so many things. He got me on TONS of supplements. Each one prescribed based on specific test results.

He has a website at aminoacidpower. He has an extensive intake form which you must fill out, then orders tests based on your history. This man is SMART! He is an MD, a Neurologist and a Psychiatrist. You can treat with him in person or as I did, by phone. He records your visit where he goes over EVERY test result, and explains what it means. He then mails you this tape, so you can refer back to it.

You have to pay for your visits, then submit to insurance, if you have it. Mine covered everything at about 80%. Most all my labs were covered.

He has an extensive website, you should browse through it. Maybe he can help you.

3. joeb7th

joeb7th New Member

I will try to find this Dr. Gerstons site. Thanks.
  4. shootingstar

shootingstar New Member

There is a very good urgent care walk-in clinic in the area where I live -- I'm sure there are good and not so good ones -- you'd have to check on what is available in your community. You can see medical personnel (usually a doctor, nurse for more minor things) with no appointment. The wait is short, and at this particular clinic the cost is comparable to a visit to a doctor. ER visits here can be very costly.

Urgent care is not a substitute for having a regular primary care physician, but that type of clinic is a really good and cost effective alternative when you need immediate help and can not see your doctor.
  5. carebelle

carebelle New Member

Hi Joeb Remember me I told you Ive been told I look like Doris Day ? Check out my bio I finely got my picture in it with my hubby and grandson.

I am so sorry you have been going threw so much again.I have that poisioning feeling all over also. Like it goes threw every vien in my body.Sometimes I get scaried my body like my kidneys are going to shut down.

I try to drink more water and green or white teas. To help clean out my system. I'm sorry again you have this .I think it is part of this DD. I hope you feel better soon.
  6. joeb7th

joeb7th New Member

Thanks for repsonding. Can't wait to see your pic. How do I do this?

Yes, you know how all this feels.

I never knew how sick one could feel until I got this. And honestly, it does feel like there is a poison circulating through your body and hitting each part and just going crazy.

I am so desperate for more study and medical attention I have written my Congress person and senator.

Congressman just blew me off. Not even a response back. Barbara Boxer sent the most sympathetic e-mail back and said she would see what she could do. Babara Boxer is the real deal. This is one compassionate person and who responds even to a nobody on disability like me. Remember that everyone...Senator Barabara Boxer would help a homeless person if she were directly asked for help by one.

But I have to keep begging on line for help. It's all I have now.

Take care Carabelle. Haven't worked for Ms. Day in 10 months, so haven't seen or heard from her since then. Looks like I'll never be able to work again anyway. God help us all.
  7. woofmom

woofmom New Member

You probably are being poisoned. Aspartame, splenda, msg, formaldehyde, toluene, etc. Toxic chemicals are in everything.
  8. Jana1

Jana1 New Member

Hi...If you had the power, how do you envision good health care...You would feel exactly as you describe, and then you would? go where? call who? see who? etc...How would the whole system work?

Jana
  9. carebelle

carebelle New Member

to see my bio and picture click on my name at the left of my post it should pull up.I am much older now ( dont look like ms Day as much now) but this is my favorite pic cause my hubby and grandson is in it :)

Joeb thank you for writing ms Boxier .I have written all my senate and congressmen all the way to the whitehouse.
    I think until this DD hits someone they know they lesson and then turn a deaf ear. I wish we all could find someone famious that would take on our cause and help us.

I thank God everyday for the people here on the board that know how we feel and share what has help them. I enjoy your post and when you share your humor. Laughter is good medicine for us all.

I hope you have a pain free day today!
  10. Angelimbo

Angelimbo New Member

I so understand what you are going through, Joeb. I think most here on this board do, as well.

I have been sick with these DDs for over 30 years, and from the very early years, I have said the exact things you are, particularly about feeling as though I am being poisoned.

There are also times when I get a weird kind of spaced-out, really suddenly, that feels similar to what it would feel like if I had taken a potent anti-anxiety med or a narcotic.

I have said (only half-jokingly) that it's like I am being poisoned, or being slipped drugs in my food or water, or that somebody who hates me has fashioned a voodoo doll in my image, and is poking pins in it.

I have even found myself (and others with these DDs), saying they wonder if they are being used in some kind of medical experiment, or even being abducted by aliens!!!!!

But these diseases are SO strange, to the point of being "twilight-zone" like.

Plus, the more I have learned over the last 10 years, the more I realize, that even the most bizzarre speculations, like those above, are not so "out there" after all. I mean, have you read about "Project Day Lily" by Drs. Garth and Nancy Nicholson? The truth often IS really "stranger than fiction".

I feel that we are all (not JUST those of us with these DDs) just a big planet full of captive guinea pigs. And "survival of the fittest" is the mantra of the elite keepers of the cages.

But.....I guess I better not get started......GRRRR!

I send you prayers for healing, and I picture you finding a compassionate Doctor who is not brainwashed into the elite "medical community", and is willing to risk his "reputation", and perhaps even more, in order to help those of us with these INTENTIONALLY INDUCED ILLNESSES.

God, help us ALL!
    [This Message was Edited on 10/12/2006]
  11. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I wanted to tell you about a terrible reaction I have had to see if this happens to you also.

I know we both have had problems with feeling like we have been poison

I ate out a few times and have found, when I use artificial sweetner I will get that same terrible poison feeling going in my veins .Have you tried this to see if it feels the same for you?

I'm starting to think part of it is a problem with additives in our food.

Try this and see if it affects you the same way.

I hope you are feeling better today
  12. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

joeb:

Keep at it and do not give up finding the right medical care. In this country the medical system is like machinery out of control.

I managed to get off of the merry-go-round and get a few half decent doctors.

I have been going to them for years now.

Stick with it and you will find someone to help.

I am so sorry you are so very ill.

hugs,
    nyrofan
  13. carebelle

carebelle New Member