something new about low cholesterol

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sunflowergirl, Feb 5, 2007.

1. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

I found this very interesting. Mine has always been low. I have an aunt and also an uncle who died from alzheimers. Mmmmmmmmm.

Teresa Graedon:
    The People's Pharmacy
    Changing ideas on cholesterol
    February 5, 2007

What is considered low when it comes to total cholesterol? My levels, always low, are now at 120, just like they were in my mid-20s. I am almost 49. The highest it has been is 142.

I am very forgetful, especially now with names. I don't sleep well and have never been a great communicator because I have trouble finding the right words. Is this related to my cholesterol?

ADVERTISEMENTMany doctors believe that cholesterol can never be too low. New research throws that concept into question. A January study in the Archives of Neurology concluded that "a decline in serum total cholesterol levels may be associated with early stages in the development of dementia."

Another study published online in December in the journal Movement Disorders has linked low LDL cholesterol with a higher occurrence of Parkinson's disease.

The importance of cholesterol in neurological conditions such as Alzheimer's or Parkinson's disease is controversial. But you might want to discuss your lab results with your doctor in light of the new research.
  2. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

Many doubts!
    I guess what gets to me the most is that a person is supposed to fast before the test. The other 364 days of the year the person is not fasting and could be eating ten greasy cheese burgers a day. Is the fasting level really related to reality? Sometimes. And sometimes I just don't get it. sigh

[This Message was Edited on 02/06/2007]
    [This Message was Edited on 02/06/2007]
  3. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

is needed for proper brain functioning and for many other assimilations within the body.

The doctor who first looked for the link between high LDL cholesterol and heart disease researched it for over 30 years and concluded that it did not make much difference but triglycerides and homeocystein levels may if coupled with other risks.

Most heart docs will tell you that people dying of heart issues have a mixed bag and ranges of cholesterol, which is largely manufactured by the liver, and like osteoporosis may be a "disease" manufactured by the drug companies to sell more drugs. I have a theory that the more a drug is advertised on TV the less we may need it.

Cholesterol levels may play some role in HD but only with other factors. In fact as you say, extremely low cholesterol may indicate some malfunction going on as much as extremely high cholesterol. Remember that when the drug companies first started in on this normal Good levels were 250 and the decrease in good numbers correlates strongly to sales of their drugs- in other words they started an epidemic. My feeling is that if most people have cholesterol of 240 or so at aged 55 then maybe God designed us that way.....................

Well just a thought. Love Annie
  4. findmind

findmind New Member

When i learned that mycoplasma uses our cholesterol to replicate, i decided then and there to never worry about mine being 235, because as long as there is more cholesterol being made, those darn mycoplasma bacterias can't use all mine up!

The HDL is an important, protective factor; I like to work more on keeping that one up above 40.

findmind
  5. therealmadscientist

Darn mycoplasma bacteria are even killing off palm trees in the Americas.
    I liked the theory that pharmaceutical companies caused an epidemic by lowering "normal" range of total choesterol.
    I think that the number on teeth one has is correlated to heart disease. The theory is that chronic inflammation (or tooth infections) causes the inflamation process to damage, clog, arteries.
    One of oldest lab tests, the sedimention rate or ESR, is also correlated with heart disease. It measures inflamation, or if one is sick, but doesn't give a clue why sick.
    By the way, fasting serum or plasma is clear yellow. If someone eats a greasy meal, it turns milky from fat globules.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/08/2007]
  6. therealmadscientist

I find it hard to believe that simply "not enough specimen", but I wasn't there and don't run the test
    There is a rare genetically based high total cholesterol syndrome that is related to heart disease. I think the total cholesterol runs above 500 no matter what the diet. The plasma/serun always looks like real milk.

(In order to run most lab tests the plasma is put into a refrigerated high speed centrifuge for twenty minutes, and fat rises to top, hardens, and can be removed manually. Or is that too much information?)

I guess that in severe liver disease the cholesterol level can get really low.
    Maybe something more to measuring the components of cholesterol but I'm generally rather sceptical about just total cholesterol. Cheers, mr bill

Oh, I take an aspirin a day(adult size) to keep inflamation and heart disease away.
    Probably no consensus on "normal values" but roughly below 100 would be of concern. Below 200 =good. Above 300 too high.[This Message was Edited on 02/09/2007]
    [This Message was Edited on 02/09/2007]