Something new I'm trying with doctor Is3 device

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by acesk, Dec 8, 2006.

1. acesk

acesk New Member

Just started with this on Thursday. An IS-3 pain stimulator device - you wear in your ear - it stimulates the acupressure points to relieve pain - FDA approval March/06 - a regular doctor is doing this in Florida in Tarpon Springs.

You wear this on and behind your ear for 4-7 days - it pulses irregularly - doesn't hurt at all. It is been officially labeled for back and sciatia pain, but I just have fibro.

First a.m. - no stiffness - which is a minor miracle. Less pain also. I'm on 2nd day now - still no stiffness. Pain about 50% less. Didn't take my Ultracet yesterday at all.

Something we all may want to check into. Doctor said 50/50 chance of helping fibro. Back pain patients get almost immediate relief.

You need to wear this for 4-7 days, then off 6-7 days, then another device is put on. 6-8 devices in a year. Nurse told me her husband is pain free (back pain) and is going without the device for 5 weeks.

Insurance is supposed to pay it. $250 a device plus office visit. My Mom has fibro also and is on Medicare. They said she had to fill out paperwork first and then they would check with Medicare. They don't think they will cover it - just the office visits. I told Mom I would pay for hers because she also has back pain and sciatia.

Sue in Florida
  2. Dixie_Amazon

Dixie_Amazon Member

That sounds wonderful. Keep us informed on your progress!
  3. acesk

acesk New Member

I just searched the web for this IS-3 nerve-impulse stimulator. Couldn't find anything on it. I found the doctor I'm seeing for it - he ran an ad in the Sunday paper! He said he was trying to get it exclusively in this part of Florida - but I cannot even find a listing for it in Yahoo!

He gave me 3 studies they did on the stimulator. I look at the studies and see what they call it in them.

Sue in Florida
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

Does it work on non-infectious sinusitis (ie, no infections, no sinus obstructions...?)

Sounds interesting anyway. Glad it is working for you... please keep us posted.

best,
    Victoria

5. acesk

acesk New Member

I found the studies the doctor gave me - the IS-3 is called the "P-Stim" in the medical literature. I also found it searching the web for P-Stim

Sue in Florida
  6. Jillian40

Jillian40 New Member

WOW, it sure sounds promising.

I did a search on Google, but didn't find it under Is-3 Device. Do you happen to know what "Is-3" stands for?

If you find out how others of us could get more information about it, post your reply.

In the meantime, I sure wish you the best with this new pain reducer.

Warm Gentle HUGS,
    Jillian
  7. acesk

acesk New Member

Well, I went in for my 2nd device (you were one every 2 weeks for 4 days) and this time it seems to be helping (more than the 1st one). I found out that this doctor is the only one in the country doing this P-Stim therapy.

So I guess I'm the guinea pig for this!

Sue in Florida