Something strange about this new pain doctor, need your advice

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kinsie, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

We just got a new pain doctor here in town a couple of months ago, so I made an appointment. The first visit was $150 ( I have to pay, my insurance has such a high deductible). So, I paid, he prescribed, and they made another appointment for me to come back in 3 weeks. I thought that was probably ok since I was a new patient.

On the 2nd visit, it was $100 ( I had to pay from my own pocket again). I talked to him about the medication he prescribed, he changed it to something my tummy could handle better, and I was out of there. About 10 or 15 minutes is all it took. They took my blood pressure. That's all.

They made an another appointment for me to come back in 3 weeks. I started to say something, but didn't. When I got home I decided I was not going back that soon. So I called the office to say I was doing just fine on the medication, and I didn't see any need to come back so soon. They said ok, how about coming in next week. I said I was fine, and really didnt' need to see the doctor. Then, here's what they said " well what about when you run out of medication?". I said " you mean I have to see the doctor at $100 every three weeks for him to keep prescribing for me? Yes. I'm only taking Darvocet. The same kind of drug the dentist gives you when you have a toothache!!! Boy, what a racket. I'm not going back at all.

Now, am I off base? If a drug is working, and it's not evern a narcotic, why in the world would you need to see the doctor every 3 weeks, unless he's just in it for the money??!!

Let me know if this sounds right to you.

Thanks,

Kinsie
  2. fungirl2100

fungirl2100 New Member

Hi Kinsie,

I have been going to pain clinics for years now & this sounds highly unusual. My first assessment this last time around with my new pain doc was 1 hour 45 mins of him physically evaluating me & talking to me. Typically appts. for me have been a month apart. My new pain doc as soon as we are comfortable with my meds & he has me fully diagnosed it will be 1 every 2 or 3 mos with me calling his office for my prescription pick up. All docs are different, but he is really raking you over the coals.

Do you feel the care has been good? Has he diagnosed you, does he talk to you?

Does he know you don't have insurance? I would think he would take mercy. I didn't have insurance for a while & the doc gave me as much free meds as he could & lowered the office visit from $185.00 what he charged my ins. to $40.00 in a post dated check.

What state are you in?

I am sorry, this doc sounds greedy & the med quality not good. I don't know what issues you have, but your family doc would probably take better care of you all the way around.

Let me know if there is anyway I can be of help to you. Maybe I can help you find another doc. One that cares.

much love-
    fun ;)
  3. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

This sounds like a scam, and you can find someone cheaper and more reasonable, no doubt.
    Best of luck
    Mini
  4. Mar19

Mar19 New Member

I've been on pain meds for a number of years. I used to have to see the doctor once every three months. As for my Rx? I (or dh) would have to physically pick up the script at the doctor's office each month in between visits.

Maybe 2 years ago (I don't remember the exact time frame) the DEA changed the regulations so that pain patients would have to come in once a month ~ once every four weeks ~ to see the doctor and have him write out the script.

I was using my primary care doc at the time, so I didn't mind too much. He was close by, and it gave me extra time to ask him all the gazillions of questions we all seem to have all the time anyhow; I'd just pick a few a month.

I went to my FM doctor on Jan 24th and he told me that the DEA had just recently relaxed regulations in regard to opiods and that I would only have to come in to see him every other month, and pick up the script on the odd month that I don't see him. (Not a problem, his office is right by the mall. Ü Too bad I have no energy!)

So, if that's the only reason they're giving you, they might just be trying to get the extra money. Darvocet is acetaminophin and propoxyphene ~ which is a narcotic. Maybe it's because you're a new patient? But that's not what you've been told. Even so, every three weeks would take a toll on your pocketbook.

Have you let them know that you are paying out of pocket? That might make a difference.

After my FM doc told me about the relaxed regulations, it turns out that I'll still be seeing him every four weeks for a while. This visit I had asked to be switched to a different med b/c I didn't think the old one was working as good as it used to. He changed it, but told be he'd have to keep an eye on me for a few more months to make sure I wouldn't develop any weird new side effects.

Hope you're feeling lots better today.

mar
  5. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

I sure appreciate your replies. It seems that some say this is a common practice, and some say it's probably not.

My deductible is $3,000.00 ( I have recently retired, and had to buy a private insurance policy with Blue Cross, and to keep the premium from being over $1,000 a month I had to go with a high deductible.

If I were in extreme pain, I guess I would just suck it up and pay the $100 office visit each month, but the medication really doesn't give me enough relief to pay that kind of money along with paying for the prescription too. So far nothing has really helped too much anyway. I would say my pain level is about a 7 on a scale from 1 to 10. So, it could be worse.

I'm going to have to make up my mind one way or the other.

Again, thanks to all my friends.

Kinsie

6. TinaJones

TinaJones New Member

I know that "some" pain docs want to see new patients more in the beginning. Usually, though - once you are established on a proper med and dose - most doctors don't need to see you every month. My pain doc will give refills for three months (still have to go in and pick up the refills, but not see the doctor).

My main reason for posting is to encourage you to - be it with this doc or another - keep searching for a pain med that works better for you. Darvocet is very weak, in terms of pain meds. If it was working, that's great; but if you are still at a "7" on most days - I'd really say to try other meds.

But you definitely need a doctor that's going to work to find the right meds for you and that understands that you have a very high deductible. I really hope you find this kind of doctor. Let us know how it goes. Take good care...Tina
  7. tngirl

tngirl New Member

My pain management doctor gives me 2 refills on each prescription and I see the nurse practitioner (who is great) When I first went to this doctor, I saw him every month.

If I need something between scheduled appointments, I can call and scedule an appointment or they will "call in" a prescription to the drugstore. But they won't call in a prescription for a drug I've not had before.

The pain doctor prescribes my hydrocodone, skelaxin, tramadol, celebrex, and restoril. My primary care doctor would probably do everything with generous refills except the hydrocodone. But I told him I wanted them to come from the pain management doctor so they'd be aware of what I was taking.

Kinsie, what you are describing may be a common practice in some places, but I would try to find another doctor.

Or your primary care doctor might write the prescription for you.
  8. fungirl2100

fungirl2100 New Member

For schedule 2 narcotics the doc cannot call it in. You have to pick up the prescription. The pharmacy would not fill it. It is the law period. Now other things, let's sayPrednisone (yes, I said it after the great steroid debate the other day that I sure got people brewing over)
    that can be called in or cough syrup.

It's the DEA's rules.

your friend,
    fun
  9. kjfms

kjfms Member

Sorry you are having such a rough time. Some physician's office will negotiate the price when a person is paying in cash you might give that a try.

Speak with your physician and someone in billing -- not someone in the front office usually they are clueless.

Darvocet is a Class IV Narcotic BTW.

Have you consider going to an MD or a DO for this it may be cheaper in the long run.

With that high deductible you may also want to contact a sliding scale fee clinic in you area to see if you qualify.

Best wishes,

Karen :)

[This Message was Edited on 02/07/2007]
  10. blkkat

blkkat New Member

hi im sorry your meds are not working better. heres what ive had to do for over 2 years, ill make this short if i can and try to help. i go to a pain dr. about every 6-8 weeks only so my family dr doent get into trouble due to i cant take what the pain dr ONLY gives- (methadone and or morphine) so my family dr. gives me- ( i go in every 4 weeks to p/u the scripts and 15 min. apt.) at around 96.00 w/out ins. 20.00 with my ins. anyways what your taking is short time relief pain med plus half is narcotic and half i think reg over the counter pain med. which isnt good at all on your liver. ask if you can go on a time releif nacotic. im on 5mgs oxycodone 6xday thats short acting about 3-4 hrs edge take off pain, plus 10mgs 2x day of oxycontin this is longer time relief, also neuronin 100mgs 4x day for tingling/pain in legs/arms, clonazapam 1.5mgs at nite for RL & sleep, and 20mgs prozac- oh by the way my pain dr charges 250.00 to 500.oo per visit and for what i dont get! all i know is i have go through all that each month to try to live still with fm,cfs,ibs ect. good luck hope this made some kind of sense. GOD BLESS& HUGS----BLKKAT
  11. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

Thanks again to all that have replied. I feel a little better about why he has me come back so often. Now, I have to decide if it's worth it!!

Kinsie
  12. mary124

mary124 New Member

If you are not comfortable with this doctor, I would find another doctor, maybe your family doctor? He might prescribe your pain medicine for you.
    My pain medicine doctor - actually I see the NP I see her every 3 months, she gives me my prescriptions with refills, don't usually have to go back in to see them unless I'm having problems.
  13. LongStruggle

LongStruggle Guest

Pain clinic doctors are typically watched by the DEA. There is a lot of abuse of prescription pain pills by the general public. It is an epidemic. In KY where I am at, most primary care doctors are completely unwilling to prescribe any paid meds or they might prescribe ultram, but that's it. The pain clinic doctors in KY closely monitor all of their patients. They do not give refills. They force the patient to see them regularly and they do drug testing on them regularly. One clinic took it so extreme that when the patient didn't test for using the prescribed medication, they were accused of selling drugs. In reality, the patient didn't feel they needed it and was afraid to become addicted to it.