Something strange happened to me last night. A stroke? What????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JLH, Mar 3, 2006.

  1. JLH

    JLH New Member

    I had sort of a "spell" last night after getting off the computer that really scared me. I didn't know if I were having a stroke or what.

    I logged off the board around 1:30 a.m., went and took by "bedtime" meds, loaded our wood stove up with 3 sticks of firewood, and went to the bathroom to put my nightgown on and get ready for bed.

    I picked up a really lightweight magazine (Soap Opera Weekly!) and could not hold it. There were pain coming down from my neck, over my shoulders, and into my arms where my arms where shaking and trembling SO BADLY that the pages were rattling.

    My heart then starting pounding really forcefully and fast--but not fast enough for my pacemaker to make it slow down (which it has to be at 120 beats for the pacemaker to stop it).

    I managed to get my nightgown on but was suddenly so weak that I could barely walk. My bedroom is next to the bathroom so I didn't have far to walk.

    My cane was in the other room, so I had to hold on to the wall to make it close to my bed and when I got there, I just fell on top of the bed.

    My DH sleeps in another bedroom (works out best for us) and I yelled for him. He goes to bed at 7:00 pm, so he was still out cold.

    I managed to roll over and get the cordless phone off my nightstand and I dialed our own phone number and hung up quickly--this makes the phone in your own house ring and ring until you pick it up. It rang so long that it woke him up and I yelled for him to come ASAP.

    I told him I didn't know what was going on but something was wrong with me--my arms were still trembling, my heart beating hard and fast, couldn't breath, really weak. I asked him to take my pulse, but he couldn't find it. Then, he jokes and asks me if I'm dead!! Duh, I said maybe I was!!

    He turned my oxygen concentrator on and my CPAP and gave me my mask so I could breath some forceful air and oxygen. That helped. He came back in later and helped turn my bed down and got me under the covers.

    He told me that I must have overdone it during the day. That is the last I remember.

    I had gone to my mother's (a 45 min. drive) to pay her bills and make a bunch of phone calls for her. I was gone from 11:30 am until 8:00 pm. Then when I got home, I took a Lortab due to the pain from my pinched nerve and sitting at her desk all day, along with the driving. Watched Survivor, ER, and General Hospital that I had TiVo'd and then got on the board until I started to go to bed when it all happened.

    I have heart trouble, a bunch of nerve trouble and back trouble, too. Do you think I just overdid it, or what does this "spell" sound like to you?

    If I had not been so tired and passed out (asleep, I guess), I probably would have gone to the ER.

    I have never experienced anything like ever before. It really frightened me while it was happening.

    Hugs to you all,
  2. Cromwell

    Cromwell New Member

    It could have been a trapped nerve but with the breathing etc This sounds like a 911 deal to me.

    Boy I admire you for being brave and doing all you do, but don't you think this should be checked?

    Love Anne C
  3. ilovecats94

    ilovecats94 New Member

    I just don't know what to tell you about this. I have been fighting with chest pains off and on, but they are getting better. I'm pretty positive that my problems are either GERD or hiatal hernia. No snacks yesterday and took a 9 PM nap in the recliner and was fine all night.

    Some of your symptoms sound like low blood sugar to me. Did you check your sugar? You know you can go low and then the body will bring it back up some. I wonder if that is what happened to you?

    I remember that you do have heart trouble. This could be a side effect of your back problems and you over doing it that day too.

    I would just say that if it happens again you should check your sugar if you can or get hubby to check it and if it is okay, call your doc or go to the ER. I hate to say that as I'm a bad one for hospitals.

    Didn't you say you had just started on thyroid meds? I wonder if the dose you are taking is too high as that can cause those type of symptoms too.

    Hope you will feel better, Janet. Let me know how you are doing.

  4. sarahann61

    sarahann61 New Member

    I would let my Dr. know about it, Might give you a med., and prevent it from happening ,again... And, I think it would make you feel better. Dr's seem to get mad at pts, that do not report things... But, can't talk, I hate to go to the E.R., too...

    I have been there, and they didn't find anything, and there was the $100.00, that it cost, for my co-pay... But, when it is your heart, Dr's do listen...... Have you wore the Halter 24 hr. monitor, or had a Stress test ,lately...... Since, you have a pacemaker, I imagine, you have been through ,all of the test....
  5. MamaR

    MamaR New Member

    This sounds serious!!
    Please don't wait too long to have it checked out. If I were you....I would call doc first thing Monday...if not sooner!!

  6. darude

    darude New Member

    Please get this checked out if you haven't already. Sounds like heart or stroke symptoms. They say NOT to ignore spells like that. Please go the the ER.
  7. JLH

    JLH New Member

    Thanks to all of you, my dear friends, who responded.

    I was so scared that night. I don't know if I passed out or just quickly went to sleep, but when I got up the next morning, I felt OK .... a little drained and weak .... but OK.

    I called my cardiologist and explained what happened. He said if I felt OK then there was no need to go to the hospital and had his staff make me an appointment. I go next week. He said if it happens again, of course, go to the ER.

    I thought that night about calling 911 if it didn't go away soon, but then I passed out/fell asleep and my DH told me the next morning that he checked on me a few times and I "looked" OK.

    I know I had checked my sugar out before I got on the computer and it was OK, so I can eliminate sugar problems.

    And .... I always take one regular aspirin (Ecotrin) before I go to bed ... so that concern was OK.

    I recently had a complete cardiac workup ... the stress test, echo, etc. so I hope I don't have to get all of that repeated.

    I haven't had anymore problems over the weekend that mimic'ed these, so I hope it was a fluke and that my DH was correct, that I just overdid it that day.

    I rested all day the next day and until I got sick again Saturday night. Since this is so long, I'll tell you that story in another post!

    Much love to you all ...
  8. Mikie

    Mikie Moderator

    It's important to have this checked out. Good luck.

    Love, Mikie