Something strange

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lvjesus, Jan 29, 2011.

1. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I have noticed, at least the last couple of times I have had a cold, that during the time I am having cold symptoms my FM symptoms are sort of "in remission". For a week I was battling a cold and during that time I took almost no pain medication and I was not wiped out with fatigue either. It is weird. I thought maybe the whole pain thing was because I was taking cold medicine with pain reliever, but even on the days when I was not taking cold meds, I felt different than usual.

Logically this could be a result of my immune system stepping up to battle the cold and working on the FM at the same time.

I wanted to know if anyone else notices this effect when they are sick.
  2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

It could be that the cold med you were taking had Guaifenesin in it. Some people find that taking Guaifenesin helps with their FM pain. You might want to do some research.
  3. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

You might be on to something there! I was taking Muscinex! Yesterday my muscles felt sore like I had been working out, only I hadn't. Hmmmm. I will be doing some research for sure.

Do you know if you can use just over the counter stuff? I know that there is a whole protocol, etc, but is there a lesser level of commitment?

4. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I read that it had been "debunked" and the effects attributed to the placebo effect but I took the Muscinex again last night and did not have pain this morning, and not only that, I went all day without pain meds, including an hour or more walking tour of William and Mary campus.

I did have to take one when we got back to the motel and am on the heating pad, but I think it helped. I stopped by the drugstore and got some muscinex with just the guai. It is worth a try in my opinion. Beats pain pills every day. I'll post about how it goes. Take care.
  5. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I didn't connect the two. I had a virus last year and I felt worse.

Is it safe to take Mucinex every day? I was thinking you're not suppose to take it for over ten days but I could be misremembering.

[This Message was Edited on 01/30/2011]