Something you should know about the Oil and Gas Companies

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by NifferA, Aug 31, 2005.

1. NifferA

NifferA New Member

Before you decide to boycott the oil and gas companies, please be aware of the following.

They employee a large percentage of the victims affected by hurricane Katrina. They pay good wages to their employees who are highly skilled at all levels of the industry.

Oil and Gas companies are some of the most philantrhopic companies on the planet. They gave billions in relief to the tsnunami disaster and will do the same in this disaster.

Chevron put out a full page ad in today's Houston Chronicle that reads.

"IMPORTANT NOTICE TO CHEVRON EMPLOYEES IMPACTED BY HURRICANE KATRINA"

"In the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, the health and well-being of our affected employees is our first and highest priority, and our thoughts go out to everyone impacted by this natural disaster.

If you are a Chevron employee who resides in or around one of the impacted communities in Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama or the panhandle of Florida, please contact us at 1-800-334-3963 to let us know of your current situation so that we can determine how we can best address your needs."

Chevron is an excellent company, I should know, I am currently on short-term disability with them. I have seen the many good things my company and other Oil & Gas companies do for people here and abroad. And the companies of today are very environmentally conscious and do their best to balance getting the product demanded by the global economy while still respecting the environment. There is a lot more to do in this area, but the oil companies work within the framework of the law as well as the demand of people.

A boycott would not be an effective long term message. Lifestyles need to change permanently to effect a change. Regardless, oil and gas companies spend billions researching new energy sources.

Oil companies are not the enemy.
  2. elsa

elsa New Member

Wouldn't help matters. Oil companies cannot help that Katrina damaged or at least caused the shut down of eight
    refineries.

OPEC would be a place to look for answers in the price of oil/gas.

As of yesterday, it cost OPEC $4.oo to produce one barrel of oil. Barrels are being sold for $69.oo a barrel.
    Do the math ....

I suggest anyone considering a boycott, that they
    write their Senators/Congressmen, requesting they get
    involved in pressing OPEC to get reasonable.

Any individual vendor that gouges the public on gas prices out to be dealt with more directly. If your corner Amoco gas station is charging 10.00 a gal and no one
    else is, then boycott that independent Amoco station ...not
    the corp. that supplies it.

Elsa
  3. NifferA

NifferA New Member

I suspect the $4 is the lifting cost. The cost to find, drill, and lift the oil from the ground. That doesn't include transportation and marketing and refining costs.
  4. jake123

jake123 New Member

The British have been paying $7.00 for gas for a long time. They also have a decent public transportation system. I don't know if that would work in Texas very well in the summer because of triple digit temperatures.
  5. qnjamie

qnjamie New Member

mother earth needs gasoline to be 7.00 a gallon so that we will press people to come up with other energy option that are cleaner.

Do not let BUSH drill for oil in Alaska to find the same resources we've been using to destroy and poison our enviroments.
  6. granny1353

granny1353 New Member

today something that made me think,

she said she will not complain about the price of gas after seeing what all those people are going through.

I thought the price of gas is a small thing compared to the suffering they are having to endure.

Just sharing a thought
    Granny
  7. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I heard a rumor that everyone should boycott Mobil and Exxon...they are the big ENEMY...

What people don't stop to consider is that your local Exxon gas station or local Mobil gas station is run by neighbors like yourselves...who aren't making DIME ONE on these higher gas prices...

When you urge a boycott of these gas stations, you are likely causing a hardship on, or even putting out of business your friends and neighbors...

Not sure what the ultimate answer to all our frustrations with higher gas prices is, but I know it isn't causing local businessmen & neighbors to lose their homes & livelihoods...

Hugs,
    Pam
  8. BethM

BethM New Member

why the price of gasoline jumps so quickly after a problem or disaster happens, but doesn't go down as quickly when the problem is resolved.

Why did it have to jump 20 or 30 cents a gallon overnight? It won't come DOWN 20 or 30 cents a gallon overnight.

just a pet peeve of mine.

Regardless of how philanthropic the oil companies are, they are out to make money. Think how much money they made, if they were able to donate billions for relief after the tsunami.

SOMEONE is making whole bunches of money from this, and it is not you and me!

beth.
  9. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

The thread I started about Sept 1 being "don't fill up day" was an email that was sent to me BEFORE Katrina, and the gas prices going up here in Canada started BEFORE Katrina. There is no way I would want to cause extra hardship on those poor people who are suffering so much.
    I didn't fill up today, not to hurt anyone, but because I didn't need any gas. Now that is catastraphy has happened I am sure the prices will go even higher.
    But compared to the loss of life and devestation that is a drop in the bucket.
    May God be with all who are hurting and may He wrap His everloving arms around you and your family.
    Raz
  10. abbylee

abbylee New Member

Demand raises prices. If we don't buy it unless we really need it, the price will go down. Boycotting would probably lower the price, but staying home unless we really need to go will lower the price, too.

abbylee
  11. JLH

JLH New Member

I do happen to need gas in my car, so I am going to purchase it from a hometown guy who owns the local small gas station in our rural community. I'm going to fill it up whenever my car needs it! That is if we have any gas. Our gas stations were out of gas today - in all the little communities that surround where I live. No gas.

There's probably a LOT more to the story than I know for why the price is why it is--as long as it keeps many people in our country employeed and gives these people decent benefits, I'm happy.

I've heard all the political mumbo jumbo and you don't know who or what to believe, so I just tune it all out and fuss about the price of gas like everybody else at the pumps do--then I'm with the majority when I fuss and agree with them!! LOL

12. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

Part of the reason your local gas station is raising the price of gas, although the gas they are selling today was purchased at a lower price, is that they need enough profit from the gas they are selling now to pay for their next delivery of gas. So way don't prices as the pump go down as soon as oil prices go down? Hmmm ....

My father was a farmer and he used to say, "When the price of corn goes up, the price of corn flakes goes up; and when the price of corn goes down, the price of corn flakes goes up."
  13. Rose_Red

Rose_Red New Member

I think it's easier to charge $5-6 per gallon in Europe. If the entire country was as big as PA then there's not a whole lot of driving to do. The streets are narrow and lots of people put around on their cute little scooters.

The US is HUGE! I'm way, way out in the country. It's a 12 mile round trip just to get a gallon of milk, lottery tickets or a pack of smokes. It's an 18 mile round trip to my daughter's school. She takes the bus. There's no way I'm driving 36 miles a day just so she can go to school.

I've seen a lot of good opinions on this thread. I'd like to share mine. Some of these I recieved i emails, on the news or I just picked them right from my own foggy little brain.

Boycotting gas stations can hurt the small business owners to a point. The last gas strike didn't accomplish anything tho. The only thing it did was to make longer lines the next day. I can almost guarantee a rise in prices for tomarrow, not only because of Katrina, but because of the sheer number of people that aren't getting gas today.

I'm a city/suburb girl living in farm country and these guys don't care about boycotting gas stations. They have tractors and pick-up trucks to run, livestock to transport, generators running for field work, etc.

Fuel is $ .25 higher here then it is in Tampa because people cannot go without it. There's no such thing as lower prices for bulk business out here. They say it's to cover the cost of trucking the gas all the way out here. I don't think it costs 25 cents/gallon to go an extra 15 miles.

ps. I thought the Alaskans wanted to drill for oil to increase their economy. They're too far away from me for me to have an opinion on what is best for them.

14. sofy

sofy New Member

and am seldom able to go because of gas price and lack of physical well being but I cannot complain about the price of gas.

As someone said we are absolutely dependent on hugh individual and collective fuel consumption for our american lifestyle and there seems to be no political will to do anything about that except to get more fuel.

We do need to change our focus to how can we change our life style to match what we have not the other way around. Our idea of success is bigger car, bigger house, and more consumption.

No one needs a hummer or a 10,000 sq ft house with a media room but this is the american dream. I am hoping this hard situation will change our collective view and look at that life style and goal as an ugly nightmare and make a bit of conservation a popular goal.

Im disappointed that our leaders are clammoring for more oil first instead of other solutions. They just recently refused to penalized Detroit for making those huge gas guzzelers and in doing so gave Detroit no incentive to try and make more efficient vehicles instead of bigger, bigger, bigger and more austentatious than ever.

Sorry for my rant but this is definately one of my buttons. Bigger and more of anything, except health, never gave anyone true happiness or even put them on the road to it. Allowing yourself to fall into that lifestyle just lets you become more and more isolated from those who cannot follow your lead and that breads indifference.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/02/2005]