Something's wrong with my muscles & I'm scared to see the doc.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by abbylee, Oct 13, 2005.

1. abbylee

abbylee New Member

I don't know what is going on but for the past few weeks I've noticed that I am very jerky when I walk, I can't walk very fast, and I'm staggering. I look like a wooden puppet when I walk.

I have no idea what this could be and I'm scared and don't really want to know what is wrong.

I don't get much exercise and that might be the problem, but a couple of weeks ago I had a really hard time going up 4 steps. My legs didn't want to lift and I had to pick them up.

Also, with my hands being so numb and cold (MRI was fine), I can't imagine that the 2 things could be related, but I don't know.

I'm so tired of everything being blamed on fms, but I've not seen anyone else with this problem, and that's what scares me.

Do my symptoms make any sense?

Thanks so much for your help, I really need you guys right now.

abbylee
  2. jbsgoodolebear

jbsgoodolebear New Member

Hi there,

Yup, gosh you sound very much like me!

As I refer to it with my husband, I have the shakes, rattles, and hopefully not to often, the rolls (falling down).

I have used my husband's arm as a "stablizer" when we're walking, and I also have a cane. I can't stand using that though really and I go out of my way not to use it as my arms feel like they are crumbling half the time, and added pressure only makes things worse.

I gotta say, blaming everything on FM can be quite frustrating but at the same time, when MRI's etc come out normal (been there myself and earned the t-shirt .. GRINS), its kinda hard not to really, and at the same time you just want to scream cause you think.. my God... what in the heck is going on here! I'm X years old and I look like an 85 yr old woman that is crippled over.

Well... my spiteful little nemesis, FM, likes my 36 yr old body to feel that way. I have no control over it.

I can't help but laugh when the dr.'s go - you have anxiety! My usual reaction is - really? of what? falling down? ~LOL

or... the better lines of - it's all in your head.

My response usually then is to say.. come live with my body for 24 hours to a week. THEN tell me its in my head!

Hang in there. At times that's all I can tell myself. There are the good days and then the bad days, and then when you least expect it, hell freezing over inside your body. ~rolling eyes here LOL

Just remember this...

YOU ARE NOT NUTS
    YOU ARE NOT ALONE
    YOU ARE VALID IN YOUR FEELINGS, ETC.

Take things one day at a time... and a minute at a time when you have to.

Hugs,

Leslie
  3. hoodnanny

hoodnanny New Member

i havent run across anyone yet on the board that fits these syptoms until you wrote....i walk like a drunk..i havent picked up a cane yet. my feet and legs , the muscles give away and make me fall often, and i do hurt my
    self...
    do your legs and muscles seem to freeze and lock up when you walk,.
    have you been to the doctor yet and if so what did he say. i hope that you do get better....it is something that embarrased about..cause i feel like people think i am drunk..or on something...
    wishing you the best and hope that you can find out what it is..

shirley
  4. stinker56

stinker56 New Member

I was diagnosed with FMS quite some time ago and it seems like everything I complain about is blamed on this. It is difficult to understand how one disease can cause so many symptoms. If I ride any distance, I can't get my legs out of the truck and have trouble getting them to move. When they do move, I walk just like a drunk and it is embarrasing. I don't use a cane but sometimes I wish I had a walker to steady myself with. At least people wouldn't look at me like I "am" drunk or something. I can walk thru the supermarket and when I get back to get into the truck, I have to pick my legs up with my hands to get back into the vehicle. I feel 90 at least but I am 49.
    I hope knowing that a lot of us share this same problem helps a little bit but be sure and tell you doctor. He really needs to know.
    Stinker56
    [This Message was Edited on 10/13/2005]
  5. abbylee

abbylee New Member

Thank you so much for telling me about your struggles to walk. I don't feel so alone now. This problem has just started in the past few weeks, and I've had fms since I was 12. I'm 54 and so confused as this problem is so new.

I've done the same things for the past 4 years, yet now this happens. I don't know what to think about all of this now.

abbylee
  6. abbylee

abbylee New Member

7. rigby

rigby New Member

I was falling and dropping things before I knew I have CFS and FM. so I know mine isn't due to meds. Chrio. has helped alot with this problem. when it gets really bad.
  8. abbylee

abbylee New Member

Thank you sssoo mmuuuch. I'll probably contact my doctor, but I really don't to know.

Knowing my symptoms are a part of fms, I'm not as worried, though they came about fairly quickly.

abbylee
  9. rileyearl

rileyearl New Member

Dear Abbylee,

I'm sorry another thing has popped up. It's just too much. I wish I could tell you what it is and what will fix it, but I can't. Your posts are always so strong and positive. I hate to hear you like this.

It always amazes me that everytime someone posts about some strange symptom, there are always people who know exactly what they mean.

About a new symptom suddenly appearing, that's what I've had happen since I can remember. Some of them stick around and some are temporary. I'm hoping yours is temporary.

Here's a hug!

Francie
  10. brie

brie New Member

Honey , Welcome to the world of FM.Nothing makes sense and most tests come back normal. I have been dealing with this for years ...your body betrays you in so many ways. I complained to my Dr. that I feel like my upper body is on a pair of stilts. I have taken more falls thanks to that stiffness . So they gave me a cane and believe me it helped. Mine lasts for most of the day also and thanks to the CHF I also have there is no exercise. So good luck and know you are not alone.
  11. abbylee

abbylee New Member

Thanks so much for your input. I've had fms for so long that I thought I had all of the symptoms already. Now I see that there are more?

I've tried to be so positive but this is getting to be too much. I thought Xyrem would be the end of my problems and I'm better, but I'm not as good as I had hoped. Especially when it's $526.00 every 22 days!!

I recently had to add oxycodone to my methadone but I'm sleeping!! Go figure....

abbylee