sometimes i swell up

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by FMsolider, Sep 8, 2006.

1. FMsolider

FMsolider New Member

Sometimes, mostly during flares I feel like my joints swell up. This only adds to my alreadly uncomfortable physical feelings. Sometimes, when I mention it to others they say I am not swollen. I went to the doctor last week and get a ton of test results back...no RA ...no arthritus ...no nothing except good olde fibro. Why is this happening? Am I losing my mind?
  2. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I get very swollen too and yes it causes more pain. Fibro and CFS dont show up on tests, the tests are taken to eliminate other things.

You're not losing your mind, it's a very difficult illness to cope with especially when the medical profession dont know what causes it and how to treat it.

When I flare I just remember that it will pass and I'll have some 'good' days.

love
    Rosie
  3. FMsolider

FMsolider New Member

Anyone else, experience this and not have any other medical cause for it?
  4. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I don't care that medical texts say its non-inflammatory, i have it, I know it is. They are as wrong about that as they are about it not being progressive. My SED rate doesn't seem to show much on testing, but you can SEE and FEEL the swelling that crops up in various spots.

jeanne
  5. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I am going threw this now. My left hand is swollen and painful only on half of it,top and bottom. I did not bump it or anything.

I also get swelling that I feel, but it may not look like it to somebody else.

Mine are not always in the joints. it can happen in the middle of my arm or my thigh or top of my foot. Its so weird cause there is no reason for it that the doctors can come up with.

Today the whole right side of my face hurts it stings like an infection or swelling but you can not see anything.

I think the medical profession when they start really hearing us is when they will have break threws into these darn D.

6. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Thanks FMsolider and Jeanne for you comments about swelling in your joints. I have complained about this a lot to my Rheumy.

My hands, my feet, my ankles, my ribs. Sometimes my sandals feel too tight on my feet. My Mom pats my hands everytime she sees them and says "your poor hands".

I have had tests for RA too (my grandmother had severe RA and her fingers were all twisted sideways).

In the last year xrays finally show a little bit of OA in my hands but this doesn't account for the way my body swells.

Jeanne I too believe that FM is inflamatory and progressive. Since I have had this condition for 30 years I can feel and see the difference. Perhaps there is another kind of arthritis involved but I have had all the tests and nothing is showing up!

hugs Marion

7. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

I have swelling too, which my docs say is not FM...

I could wake up with pain and stiffness and no swelling...
    Then I can be getting out of the shower about 2 hours after wakening and be swelled up...Then the more things I physically do, the more I swell...

Right now it's 4:40pm and it looks as if I swallowed a pumpkin (whole, tehe) and my head is the size of that same pumpkin...

I have been HIGH positive for RA in the past (3x) but normal lately and only one rheumy in NY told me I had RA in remission...My joints are sore and HOT but no visible inflammation...Again, the more the day goes on, the more I do, even if it's just sitting here typing, the bigger the 'pumpkins' become...I dunno, we can't all be crazy, we are swelling aren't we? It also seems to go along with the fog too, the more fog, the thicker the head and belly...Maybe my brain is swelling too, hence the worsening fog? Don't laugh, there hasn't been any other explanation...

I am running out of things to wear cause by the end of the day, I need a moo-moo, something so loose that doesn't touch any tender areas that are swelled...

My hubby still thinks I have a heart issue that the docs haven't caught yet...All those tests have been negative tho, what am I to do?

Someone find a cure for this crap Now, Please, this is all getting old for us...

Peaceful days ahead~Alicia
  8. FMsolider

FMsolider New Member

Wow. Glad I am not alone on this one...but, sad to hear others are having this aggravating problem too. What the hell is it? What can be done to stop it? I would like to wear my wedding ring someday! I am on large doses of NSAID's, like most of us....so why does it not help the swelling.
  9. tobelct

tobelct Guest

I was lucky i guess, my fibro doctor gave me something to help with the inflamation without me asking she just mentioned that it would.

Also I noticed if I over do it I get swelling in the parts of me that hurts for that painfull part.
  10. MsOnlyMe123

MsOnlyMe123 New Member

About once a week my feet, ankles and legs swell up. There is no salt that I know of in my diet. I do not drink soda or eat canned food. They hurt so bad and look like elephent legs (stumps). Both my feet on the sides and on the top including my ankles are black and blue from this. My doctor refuses to prescribe me Lasix unless he actually sees them. I can't walk never mind drive to his office.

Next time this happens and it will, if he doesn't call something in for me, I'm calling an Ambulance and going to the E.R. Also, I don't want just a fix I want to know what in the world is cousing this to happen to me. I can't even put shoes or sneakers on, I have to wear slippers or flip/flops.

Enough is Enough.

Eileen
  11. nanala

nanala New Member

I have noticed the swelling occurs where it hurts. I also was told swelling doesn't accompany FM. That is why I came to this message board, to check with others. Right now my knee is swollen and hurts, no injury, it's never done that before. It swells just a little bit, but you can see it if you compare my fat knees closely. ha ha Aqua therapy helps me quite a bit, also I'm on Cymbalta X 2 yrs, and it seems to help.
  12. llama

llama New Member

Hi FMsoldier and all,

My joints also swell when I'm in a flare. I can tell for sure because I normally wear a size 7 shoe and when I flare I wear a 7 1/2. It's bad enough that through the years of being overweight that I have several sizes of clothes.

Now due to these DD I even have to have several sizes of shoes! Been tested for all the usual RA etc. all negative.
    Another Fibro mystery???.......Jill............
  13. blonderescue

blonderescue New Member

Hi Soldier,

No you are not losing your mind.

I frequently had hot swollen joints with no apparent outside swelling.

I have long since given up on tests - I get exhausted getting them, they come back negative - but don't explain being constantly bedridden.

There is only 1 thing that will help you. Save your money and your mind and your time.

Get some temazepam (Lorazepam there?) find a quiet place (hotel room?)and sleep till you feel better. If this takes a week, a month, a day, only you will know when you feel better. (Ps. please research this drug to ensure it does not affect other medication you may be on or other condition you may have first).

Then read the posts on here as often as possible. Ask every crazy question on your mind. The answers will come and you will start to feel better. Accept that pushing through the pain does not work with this illness.

Hope this helps.

xxx

Kaz

14. shep

shep New Member

I have had fibro for 20+ years and have never had a doctor who could tell me what causes this to happen.
    My feet, legs, face and especially around my tummy swells and becomes so bloated ..it is very uncomfortable. The swelling around my abdomen makes it hard to breath.
    I have kept a journal for many years ..as I have fibro fog ..to help me remember factors present when I experience these strange episodes among others.
    I have noticed that when the weather changes and it starts getting cloudy and is going to rain..I start to swell. The pain is worse as the "front" moves in..the pain and swelling remains as long as the clouds are full of rain. When the "front" begins to move away the swelling goes down. The barromertic pressure is a good pain predictor also. My pain is worse when we have HIGH HUMIDITY; and less painful when we have a bright clear sunny day with low hummidity.
    This swelling is not fluid! I take Lasix every day for B/P and it will not rid my body of this "fluid" if that is what it is. The doctor doesn't know what causes the swelling..if it is fluid, air, or inflamation.
    This conditon has a "Mind of it's own." It comes when it wants to..stays as long as it wants to..and leaves when it gets ready." Where does it go????
    When I have this, my skin feels hot.like a sunburn. Sunburn skin feels like it is sttetched too thight..like there is not enough skin to cover the area..that is how my skin feels. I cannot stand anything to touch it. I cannot stand a shower spray to hit it..it feels like a thousand needles going into my skin at one time!
    I am so sorry to hear all of you suffer with this also. I have donated my body to Science for the specific purpose of Fibromyalgia Research to try to find a cause and a cure.

God Bless,
    Shep
  15. desertlass

desertlass New Member

I swell up and look and feel sunburned as well. I feel like my nose looks like Miss Piggy, and my upper lip like I had collagen injections. Eyelids puffy, skin looks bright red and mottled or blotcy. Sometimes I feel like my vision is affected-- kind of blotchy vision, too.

All of my body will swell, but my stomach will look like I'm six months pregnant and is red, I can't wear my wedding ring because I'm afraid of how much my hands will suddenly swell, and my ankles and feet look pudgy.

The WEIRDEST part to me, is that no one ELSE thinks I look swollen!! My husband will say, Well, maybe a little. And then sometimes, I can feel it and I look swollen to myself, but why does no one else see it? Is it just one more crazy-making part of this DD?

For those doctors who say swelling is not related to FM, now that is just crazy because I have seen a lot of things on various sites, pamplets, and even from a rheumy that mentions swelling of at least the face, hands, and feet, even if they don't go into it any further. My DO says she has come to believe anything someone with FM tells her, no matter how bizarre it sounds. So, at least she doesn't think I'm nuts, but there's nothing for it, as far as I can tell-- I have not been able to relate it to anything except for it coinciding with a bad flare up. Not meds, not sun exposure, not amount of time lying down or standing up, not any food, chemical, nothing! arg!
  16. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I had a similar thing happen a couple of weeks ago. I have FM but went into a horrible fatigue/pain state that seemed very different from what I usually experience. My glands in my neck were all swollen and sore.

I actually went to the Dr. without my hubby telling me to. My face was swelling (I'm hypothyroid too) and my glasses were leaving marks from the puffiness. Everything hurt that touched my skin.

Sure enough, he did every blood/urine test under the sun and everything came back completely normal.

You're not losing your mind.....we have FM. That's why it happens.

All the best,

Eileen

17. 1faith

1faith New Member

then I guess we all are!haha Yes I swell too-and get terribly stiff even when there is no swelling.
  18. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

I have the swelling problem, too, especially in my feet and ankles. Once in awhile my hands. My worst area is the top of my left foot. It gets worse later in the day. My shoes feel so tight. My FMS doctor put me on a water pill (can't think of the name), but it hasn't really helped that much. I will have to ask him about upping the dosage when I see him next week.

Ellen