Sometimes It Pays To Clean Under The Sink

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, May 18, 2008.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

My ESP, or whatever one wants to call it, has been more active lately. I try to listen to my "hunches." Because of my recent flare, my condo is a mess and I had planned to do what I could to clean it up a bit. I walked past the kitchen sink and something told me to clean it out underneath. Now, in the overall scheme of things, this would not normally be a high priority. But, I listened and am glad I did.

There was a leak which was relatively new but became quite a gusher when I touched it. Just like on a comedy TV show, it sprayed all over. I shut the water off and got everything out of there. It was a plastic hose connection and the hose had broken off at the connection.

I had a plumber install a water filter under the sink a few years ago before I got my new fridge with the built-in filtered ice and water. The guy obviously didn't know what he was doing. It's a convoluted mess. Eventually, I hope to have a decent plumber in to make sure it doesn't do that again. In the meantime, I'll keep checking where I fixed it. So far, so good.

I was married to "Mr. Home Improvement" for 26 years and I took notes. I'm glad I did. I can do all kinds of things around here but I really hate plumbing.

I'm very thankful I found this leak and that it didn't leak all over while I was at work. It would have made a mess for me and the folks downstairs. Aack!

Soooo, my friends, if you hear little voices in your heads, you may not be crazy (then again, you may be :) but I may just have a little ESP or an angel on your shoulder.

Love, Mikie
  2. sisland

sisland New Member

What an unfortunate event! we just never know when something is not going to work right! Thank goodness for your ESP! I also have that at times,,,,although i've never had to deal with a plumbing problem yet,,,,I'm glad you caught it in time!

Whats the saying they have about repairs,,,,,,If it moves and it's not supposed to ,,Duct Tape,,it,,,and if it doesn't move and it is supposed to,,WD-40,,it,,,,,lolol,,,,,,

i've learned how to change a Vacum cleaner belt and to install a new dryer hose outlet and some other stuff!,like car matience and small repairs,,,,it's hard not having an "Mr. Fixit" to call when we need one! ,,,,,us gals just need a good tool box and a repair manual!,,,,,,,sis
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Ha, ha! I always say there isn't much one can't fix with WD-40 and duct tape.

So far, the fix is holding, not even a drop. It almost makes me wonder whether I should turn off the water to the condo when I go to work. A lot of damage can happen in a very short time. My dishwasher and hot water heater are 16 yrs. old. I've had to replace my washer and dryer and my outside A/C unit this year, so am hoping they keep running for a while.

It's always something. Still, I find it so comforting to know that I'm not totally helpless and dependent for small repairs. I'm sure you know the feeling.

Love, Mikie
  4. joyfully

joyfully New Member

You didn't say how you fixed it. Was there a hose clamp at this juncture??? I'd definitely use a hose clamp if at all possible.

Overtightening hose clamps can cause the metal clamp to cut through the hose over time.

If that hose has become brittle and oxidized, I'd replace it so you don't have an instant replay sometime in the near future.

5. You go girl! Good for you for fixing it! Darn I was hoping with the fibro fog you found some money you stashed ! LOL!
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Joyfully, it's a very small plastic hose which runs through a plastic cap which screws to a metal valve. The problem is that something got shoved on top of the plastic hose, causing strain on it where it goes into the plastic cap. I don't think there's a problem now. The hose isn't brittle.

I do have a frozen valve for the hot water to my washer and eventually, I need to get a plumber out. I think I'll just wait until I replace my hot-water heater. Then, I'll have him check out under the sink.

Fibrobutterfly, yeah, I love finding money but it's always just a few dollars or some change. Thanks for the thought, though.

Love, Mikie
  7. PVLady

PVLady New Member

You might want to spray some bleach water in the area to prevent mold. It is very common after leaks like this to have mold develop.
  8. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

Good for you. I follow my instincts too.

Don't think I'd have been able to fix a leak though.

9. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

It certainly does pay to listen to your gut AND to be a fixer yourself....especially when things like this happen on a weekend or holiday when a person can't get a repairman out. I don't know how many times our pipes froze on Christmas and no one could come out. Thank God my father new something about little patch jobs to get us through until something more permanent could be done.

Well done, lady!
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I certainly appreciate all your feedback and interest. I think back in the day when I was growing up, girls didn't take things apart to see how they worked or, at least, it wasn't considered appropriate. I was always a Tom Boy, though, and was fascinated by how things worked.

My rule of thumb now is that if I couldn't possibly do permanent harm and could probably do at least as good a job as a "professional," I'll give it a try. I recently gave my master bath an uplift and tore the old porceline towel bar holders out and installed the new towel bar in a different location. It involved cutting out the drywall around the holders and patching them with new small sections of drywall. I also moved the old porceline toilet paper holder from the wall to the side of the vanity. You cannot tell where they used to be on the wall.

We can do all kinds of things and there is plenty of help if we need it. There are books, DVD's, and help from people at Lowe's and Home Depot.

Love, Mikie