Sometimes My Teeth ache

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tandy, Apr 4, 2007.

1. tandy

tandy New Member

Like now,..again.
    :(
    I get regular check ups, and granted,..I've been thru alot with dental problems.
    But every once in awhile for no reason my teeth will ache. Feels like almost all of them!!
    I'm not sure if its related to our illness, or if others get this as well???
    does anything sooth or heal teeth and gums?

When it happens to me it lasts a day or 2, then vanishes.
    ???

its often enough that I'm concerned~
    Anyone else bothered my sore teeth and gums? (no bleeding)
    Thanks for your input~
    Tandy
  2. tandy

tandy New Member

this back up for myself.

Am I alone on this one??
    anyone?
  3. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I get the same thing. Over the years I've had a lot of work on my teeth. At this point, they're in good health and I try to take good care of them.

I still get teeth pain though. It comes and goes and usually involves the left side. I just figure it's part of the fibro. Maybe some muscle group in the face area?

I know that I clench my teeth a lot. I'm pretty sure that has to do with pain.

I'm afraid I can't offer any solution.

Regards,

Eileen
  4. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

Actually, I think Carla has something there. I also have nerve pain problems in my hands and feet. As well, they have a hard time freezing me to do dental work. It takes a ton of medication.

Eileen
  5. pat460

pat460 New Member

Could you be gritting or clenching your teeth while you sleep and not be aware you're doing it? Recently, I had to have all my teeth pulled except six up front on the bottom. Granted, I was always terrified of the dentist so I didn't take care of my teeth as I should have, but they were all very loose in the gums. My top ones were extremely loose as I could wiggle them with my tongue. The dentist said it was caused by clenching and/or grinding my teeth in sleep. My teeth were often sore and achy, but I never put it together! You can buy an inexpensive guard at Walmart that stops it. You could try the guard just to see if your teeth get better. Like I said, I wasn't even aware I was doing it and neither was any dentist I went to until it was too late. That little guard could have saved me not only thousands of dollars but, my natural teeth. It's worth a shot!

Hope you find a solution. Pat
  6. CAAnnieB

CAAnnieB New Member

Hi Tandy,

I have intermittent tooth/jaw pain also. It comes & goes...No rhyme or reason. I know that I grind/ chomp my teeth at night for sure. I've worn a TMJ-dentist-made tooth guard on my upper teeth at night for years.

As Carla points out; the guard does not necessarily stop the behavior. I was told it protects the teeth. I have had oodles of dental work done over the years...crowns, bridges, root canals galore! Sometimes I wonder if my bite might be off from all the work & it is affecting the muscles in my jaw?

As long as you receive good dental care; I wouldn't worry about there being a hidden problem with your teeth or gums...But it is important to know if you grind at night...The nightguard is essential for those with bruxism.

I have found that using a microwaveable "bean bag" type hot pack on my jaws helps when I am experiencing periods of increased bruxing/ painful TMJ joints.

You are definitely not alone.

Hugs,
    Annie
  7. tandy

tandy New Member

I just pursued my dentist office for a script for 800mg Motrin. They're gonna call it in today.
    Since I have teeth in need of repair.

I'm not aware of grinding my teeth at night.
    But I bet I do. I catch myself clenching sometimes even during the day. Like I'm tightning my jaw without even realizing it. ??
    Could be TMJ too.
    I'll try a warmed beanie on my jawline.

Thanks alot for all your help~
    Tandy
  8. Yes I have on and off over the years gotten that. I was told it is neuroalgia in the teeth. My sister gets it too occasionally. It feels like you want to pull all the teeth out. I just take a high dose of advil for a couple days and its gone. Its strange isn't it what we all suffer and so sad.
  9. cajunv2001

cajunv2001 New Member

sorry to hear you are in pain,i had sinus surgery and had a lot of teeth pain and it was all from my sinuses causing it.
  10. tandy

tandy New Member

I have tons of sinus trouble!!

I know I'm stuffy all the time.
    I use vicks rub almost every night just so I can breathe.

I wake up all stuffy,... sometimes with a headache.

Thank you for the added replys/thoughts :)

11. millymolly

millymolly New Member

If I go to the dentist for a check up, I ask they only do the xray and ask they do not do the pick and clean part as my teeth ache for weeks afterwards, it drives me nuts.

I dread having to have treatment done, nearly puts me in the loony bin!
  12. oesmom

oesmom New Member

I have teeth pain almost everyday, but if I can get a small nap in (even 10 min) or chew gum, it seems to help. I think mine is from stress and the way I am holding my mouth. Pain meds don't help, not even muscle relaxers.
  13. ravenpaige

ravenpaige New Member

Ok, this may sound strange, but I too had a lot of pain with my teeth. I was seeing a dentist regularly, and I would report this pain, and they'd x-ray, and check, and couldn't find anything wrong. One time I was at the dentist and my one tooth hurt terribly, and the dentist poked and prodded a bit, and I about jumped through the ceiling. They gave me a mega-ibuprofen before I left because I had so much pain, even though they couldn't find anything wrong. I actually left the office and backed into a car in the parking lot because I was still in so much pain.

This happened several times (not the car accident, but the tooth aches ;-) ). At the same time, I was experimenting with my diet and discovering that I had an intolerance to wheat and corn. So, I started noticing that when I messed up and ate one of these two, my teeth would start to hurt again. After I was good with my diet for a few days, the pain would go away.

I managed to keep my teeth from hurting this way for a few years. Just recently, I started on probiotics and had what I guess were several weeks of herxing. Towards the end of that, one night my teeth hurt one day all day and all night. Next morning, I felt a bit better and my teeth had stopped hurting.

From all of this, I have decided that somehow the tooth pain is related to the FM/CFS, and for me anyway, is also somehow related to what I put in my stomach (or maybe what grows there). So you may want to look to your digestion as a key to controlling the teeth pain (even though that sounds like it couldn't be related).

Meanwhile, if you're looking for a short-term fix, I found that peppermint essential oil on the gums where it was hurting gave temporary relief. You could also try clove oil, but I found the peppermint worked better (and tasted slightly better).
  14. tandy

tandy New Member

Everyone~
    So glad I'm not alone.
    I"ll try the peppermint on my gums, around the most painful areas.
    Maybe I'll just dip my whole head in a bucket of peppermint oils~
    :) LOL

Regards~
    Tandy