Son Had Another Grand Mal Seizure!!!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Crispangel66, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Crispangel66

Crispangel66 New Member

I have been so worried b/c my son had one grand mal seizure at school, and yes that bothered me and I have been trying to get him in to see his neurologist, the neuro is just dragging his feet and seems to not care.

Tonight I was fussing at him for not going to sleep so I went in his room to explain again why he needed to get to sleep, when I walked in his eyes were rolled back in his head and he was stiff as a board.

Once he came to he had a terrible headache, so I feel really bad having fussed at him for not minding.

It seems like he must have had one of his complex partial seizures and then went into the grand mal.

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers, Pamela
  2. Crispangel66

Crispangel66 New Member

I am just wanting to thank you and am hoping this will all be resolved soon.

Hugs Pamela
  3. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i know they are scary for everyone...
    hugs to you both

jodie
  4. Crispangel66

Crispangel66 New Member

I called the dr office again today I figure the squeaky wheel gets the oil!

But I still haven't heard anything.

He is 12yrs old.

On of you asked how old he was with onset: birth.

Current meds are: Depakote 500mg 2x day & Zonegran 150mg at bedtime.

He has been on the Depakote for 5yrs and I think that may be the problem.

Thanks for all of your thoughts and prayers.

Pamela
  5. FMhurts

FMhurts New Member

back in 1985 my husband had a brain anurisium, and brain surgery. several months later he begin to have gran mal seizures.It was the hardest thing we'd ever went thru in our at that time 4 years of marriage.
    I had two jobs and two small kids and a husband that couldn't be left alone at any time.
    He was allergic to meds. no matter what they gave him they'd have to take him off of it.
    Our Life seemed truely hopeless.
    I had to take him with my small kids to his parents every day while I worked.
    My husband had already been disabled by ankolosing spondilitis. His spine was a solid reed.
    But the seizures was beyond us.
    I would stop at a park on the way to work in the mornings and pray to God for help. I would say what I'd always heard that God wouldn't put more on us than we could bare.
    In my oppinion I was at the end of my rope.
    The Dr. had told us that the seizures were coming from scar tissue.And that he'd have them for the rest of his life.
    So we begin to pray for God to shrink it.
    His seizures kept on coming.
    I really felt like I was at my witts end.
    After three years.My husband would make the comments that he didn't want to live any more. He told me He'd prayed for God to send someone to our home that had been heal of seizures,so he could have some hope.
    Well God does answer prayer.
    One day two men came to visit. they begin to tell him how they'de both been healed of seizures.
    One man had over a 100 seizures per day and the Dr.s wanted to split his brain in half to stop them.
    But he said he begin to pray and God healed him, He and the other man had been without seizures for years.
    Needless to say we were both encouraged.
    We just kept praying.Well after awhile we noticed they wasn't coming as often. Then they just stopped.
    He went to see the neurologist, in a major teaching hospital, in upper northern Florida (Shands) they did a cat scan, the nurse came out to me crying, she said you guys have had a miracle .I was in shock.
    The Dr. took my husband and I into a room, and told us the scar tissue was gone and that He had , had a miracle ,He gave him a letter that day saying he could go and get his drivers licsenes back, he said he would never have another one. Well its been 18 years now and he's still seizure free. I can't thank God enough for hearing our prayers.
    We will be praying for these that are having them as well. If God can do this for my "Family" (husband) He can do it for your family. Never loose hope.
    There is a God and He does care about us all.
    I hope this has encouraged you .
  6. CinCA

CinCA New Member

My good friend's daughter has temporal lobe epilepsy, and they have been through so much since she was born almost 5 years ago. I cannot imagine what you are going through!

It appals me that your son is having grand mals, which could be life-threatening, and your neuro isn't being more responsive. Can you try to push it more, or get in to another neuro? Things like this never cease to amaze me...what is healthcare in this country coming to????

I so hope you find answers soon! Again, you and your son are in my thoughts and prayers.

Take care,
    C.
  7. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Dh has seizures and has not had one since he switched to Trileptal rather than the older meds like Depakote etc.. The trileptal does not have such a blood level need and no blood tests necessary. Also is a greta mood stabilizer.

I hope this may help. Also, you can request the school allow him to wear tinted glasses as the flurescent lights can trigger seizures. BY LAW they cannot refuse except offer to change every light in the school.

Love Anne C
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

To get him to a good doc who can help. Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  9. FMhurts

FMhurts New Member

N.A.: "Magnesium is vital in helping prevent heart attacks....After a heart attack, it has been found that supplementation provided a much higher survival rate and showed far less life-threatening dysrhythmias....It has also proved beneficial in the treatment of neuromuscular disorders, nervousness, tantrums, depression, sensitivity to noise, and hand tremor....Supplementing helps control dizziness, muscle weakness, twitching, heart disease, and high blood pressure,....reduce blood cholesterol and keep the arteries healthy....used for controlling convulsions in pregnant women, premature labor, and epileptic seizures."