son out of army cannot go to sleep??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hensue, Mar 12, 2010.

1. hensue

hensue New Member

Of course when he was getting out they said it was add! He cannot take anything like a drug.
    He will be drug tested and trying to figure out where to start.

I have read melatonin or gaba or l-theanine. Please help he does not have pstd. We know for sure or he would be getting help.

Frightening sounds like me getting energy around afternoon and feeling wired at night.

I know he will get random drug test could he take melationin? What about benadryl?

I know we have answers on this board. God forbid we have to correct his sleep now.
    Dr gave him ambien cr and he says he oversleeps or it does not work.
    He is down to two mountain dews a day.
    That is a huge step.

Thanks a bunch
    hensue
  2. spacee

spacee Member

Stop all the Mtn Dew. It has the most caffiene AND it stays on your teeth and causes cavities.
    Course, cavities is the least of his concern right now.

Has he gone to the Post's doc to have it in his file that he can't sleep?

Robitussin makes me sleep. And the benedryl you mentioned.

So sorry for this! Hope others have good advice.

Spacee
  3. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

Stop all soda. Stop all caffeine. Stop any and all aspartame in the food or drink.

There are a few things to take that help. Hops/Valerian/Skullcap herbal combo. Can be combined with benadryl. If that doesn't work, Donnatal, prescrip used off brand and combined with benadryl. Donnatal is a prescrip that is made from the herb belladonna. It soothes the central nervous system and when combined with benadryl does help you to fall asleep.
  4. hensue

hensue New Member

donnatal I dont think he could use if it showed up in a urine test for job. Could he?
    The doctor said he thought it was due to ADD??? He has never been add before or taking any substance.
    He is very much against them he would not give them to his son.
    I see people that use add drugs and they cannot sleep at night. So I just think they were trying to put it off to something else imagine that.
    That is when they gave him ambien cr.

I told him tonight he needs to lets try the benadryl he is a big guy. One dose would make me groggy I dont know about him.

J thanks about the alpha stims we will have to look into it.

Spacee you are always there.

Keep um coming he has applied for a big job and waiting for his clearance. He deserves it all our veterans do.
    He is in good shape mentally but I think physically his knees are blown but I dont see the energy in him.
    He is very happy and I know when he is not he goes into a quiet mode like his mom.

It has been going on quite awhile though and doc told him take the tv out of bedroom.
    Do nothing but sleep not watching tv.

He is def cutting down the caffiene. Sleeps till one when he goes to sleep.
    You cannot wake him up when he gets in the deep sleep seriously. He is afraid he will not wake up on time.

hensue
  5. JLH

JLH New Member

Is he being treated at a VA?

If so, he should ask them to order a Sleep Study for him. That may tell him what his problem is.
    Or ... has he already had one?

I know that taking Benedryl really knocks me for a loop. So, when I really need to sleep, I buy it in the caplets and cut one in half and take it about 4 hrs before I plan to go to bed, then it helps me sleep, but it will also make me sleep longer the next morning. So I probably could not take it if I had to get up early to go to work.

My brother-in-law was in the Army in the Vietnam War, and was on the front lines. When he got out and came home, he could not sleep for a long time. The problem that haunted him until the day he died (at age 54) was that he could no longer sleep in a bed. He had to sleep on the couch fully clothed. He said this was because he felt like he had to be ready to jump up at a moments notice to go .... like he did in the Army when they were attacked, they had to be ready to jump up, grab their weapons, and be ready to fight in seconds. He returned from Vietnam, though, with PTSD, with flashbacks, etc. He entered the Army at 18 and had to live like this the rest of his life. But, I got off the subject, because you son doesn't has PTSD. Sorry.
  6. victoria

victoria New Member

My son continues to have sleep problems and uses 1 mg/night, his Lyme MD said it was ok even tho he was 18 or 19 when he tried it. But there is a 'window' of time to go to sleep with it - about 1/2 hour-45 minutes it seems; if you push past it, it won't work well.

Re: Benadryl... everybody's different despite body mass. 1 25 mg pill works for me for about a week, then I have to use the full dose of 2 (50 mg). That only works for about another week - then it keeps me awake and hyper, and not in a good way!

hope that helps,
    Victoria

7. hensue

hensue New Member

All the testing and taking care of vets is a bunch of crap. They are the ones who tells him it is add causing him not to sleep!!

Does that make sense?

He went to bed at 5am this morning working on his car.

No booze no drugs I watch him very carefully and my husband does.

My husband is a vietnam vet.

All this they say they do for veterans dont believe it. His children have tricare till he goes to work hopefully.
    That is through Va they dont take tricare in my town you have to go hour and half away.
    Just for a sore throat.

If they cannot take care of veterans health care and I know we need something done about our health care.

The government handling our health cae would be so scary. When the backlog and not treating our veterans.

This is what will happen to us.

Believe they deserve the best of care.
  8. Didoe

Didoe New Member

hi hensue

I am truly sorry for the hurt in your son, after serving and protecting us back home. VA medicine is a mess. They diagnose whatever is convenient because they can only treat for what is being diagnosed. The VA and government does not want to expose the staggering emotional toll our soldiers are taking in fighting on the current war fronts.

A friend died at my home a number of years ago, he was vietnam vet and visited me with a duffel bag filled with meds prescribed by VA docs. He took 16 aspirin daily for pain, which did nothing for his pain. He was supposed to be at the VA hosptial each week for group therapy, but even before the current wars, the VA was overbooked and unable to handle the mental health issues of the vietnam vets. My ex brother n law until today cannot speak about his experience in vietnam, he smokes dope daily to keep his rage in check, the VA couldnt help him either.

Your son is likely suffering PTSD-it takes many forms. If you can afford to get him into a civilian clinic to be diagnosed and he is willing to go, that might be the best course.

I wish you all the best and my prayers go with him.
  9. hensue

hensue New Member

If he gets the security clearance since credit is in the pic and we all know how that goes.
    Like I have told him apply pray and God will lead you. He lead him right out of those wars both of them.

I am not a go to church every Sunday wish I could. I have seen miracles in my life though and tragedies.

The prayers of all the churches in Tennessee fort Campbell Ga and florida.
    All his friends they have always been there for him.

10. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I recently found an herbal sleep aid called "Sleep-MD", I got it at Rite Aid. I can't take Benedryl or other OTC sleep aids cuz they make me antsy and restless all over. This is working quite well for me. You might want to check it out. I just wanted to try an herbal remedy before asking for another rx.

Here's the ingredient list from their website. You can just google Sleep-MD. It cost about $10 for a 30 day supply.

QuickSleep™ 384 mg

White willow extract (as Salix alba) (bark) †
    Standardized for 25% salicin
    Valerian extract (as Valeriana officinalis)
    (root) (deodorized grade) †
    Lemon balm extract (as Melissa officinalis) (leaf) †
    Hops extract (as Humulus lupulus) (strobile) †
    Lavender powder (as Lavandula officinalis)
    (flower & leaf) †
    Melatonin (featuring Nano-Diffuse™ technology) †
    Passionflower extract (as Passiflora
    incarnata) (aerial parts) †
    Standardized for 3.5% flavanoids
    Coenzyme Q10 †
    Scutellaria lateriflora powder (aerial parts) †

Oh, and thanks and congrats to your son for making it back home safely.

[This Message was Edited on 03/14/2010]
  11. hensue

hensue New Member

I listen to everyone of you. I am so sorry for all the veterans that have had such a hard time.
    I am blessed my son came back alive and well. As well as can be expected I think all of you know what I am saying.

Of course he has changed but some things are good. He takes nothing for granted! He has seen how other people live and he feels fortunate.

To me the veterans right now that are overseas are not getting the attention they need.
    Does everyone hear about the wars? Everyday or am I just not tuning in like I was.
    It is like they are forgotten.

He was so proud when we went to sea world. They let veterans and family get in free. This was before the accident at sea world. God awful! We took his two boys 12 and 9.

When you first go in where you can sit down and watch this splendor of animals. All the beauty of it.

Sea World ask all the veterans in the audience to stand! Also their families, my son would not stand he is that humble. I stood I deserved those endless days and night of worrying. His sons stood and everyone had a huge applause for the veterans and the flag. It was really awesome and I was brought to tears.
    I wasnt the only one, he was telling one of his friends on the way home about how sea world treated him and the family.
    He had tears in his eyes yet he was excited that these people acknowledged what they have been doing for the US.
    His sons were sooo proud and his MOM.

There were people that came up to him and shook his hand people from overseas.
    They all wished there country would have a 4th of July or treat the soldiers so well!
    So with all the griping and a lot of us who did not believe wars. I am proud to live where I am in the USA.