Son symptomatic?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ayhatch, Mar 2, 2007.

1. ayhatch

ayhatch New Member

Maybe I'm being paranoid because of my bad health, but I know that statistically 50% of kids with moms with Auto-immune issues also have auto-immune problems.
    Anyway, I'm starting to have some concerns about my 5 year old (almost 6) son.
    He is fatigued very easily. He doesn't endure at sports. He complains about aches in his body, mostly the legs. He has very dry skin on his legs. He gets stomach cramps easily. (I'm suspecting gluten, I'm intolerant.) He gets croup and viral asthma, he has had some trauma in his young life already too. He was born early (3.5 weeks), he had emergency double hernia surgery at 7 weeks. He fell 3 feet through a glass table when he was about 1 year and only got a few minor cuts.
    He's had some close calls with his coup and asthma. He had an ambulance ride last fall due to being altered and his sed rate getting very low.
    I know I'm missing something...but beleive me I have an instinctive feeling that something is not right with him.
    I know I can have him tested for the gluten intolerance.
    Do you think I should have his ANAs tested? If they are positive, like mine, that would be a good indicator to keep looking. What else should I look for in a child this age to be an indicator of FM?
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

I watched my son at 15 develop my symptoms of CFIDS and then go on to symptoms of FM (muscle/joint migrating pain)... all regular blood tests were normal, even tho his pulse was 50 and sometimes below, also abnormal BP (low) and had lost weight... his doc agreed there was something wrong, but didn't know what or where to send us.

But after reading how many were being found to have Lyme, I had him tested. He came up totally positive twice on Western Blot.

He's now 19, still being treated, but making improvements. It is in Northern California as well as here in the south... read the info at the Lyme message board here; also check out ilads.org for more info and links. And never give up, research, research, research, even if you don't think it's lyme ultimately - there are lots of other stealth bacteria and virii out there.

I hope you find out what's wrong. I know how heart-wrenching this can be. I don't know that it is my problem (altho I suspect it) as I haven't been tested, but a protocol that I'm following (the Marshall Protocol) operates on the assumption that there is some type of infection causing organism(s), and it is working.

all the best,
    Victoria

[This Message was Edited on 03/02/2007]
  3. boltchik

boltchik New Member

What test is done for gluten intolerance? Sorry that your son is going through this, I hope you find some answers soon. My daughter has pain in her legs all of the time. She also gets stomach aches on almost a daily basis. Next week she gets blood/urine tests to check everything out. She is also 5, (6 next month). Anyways, she does not seem as active as my 8 yr. old, but she does enjoy playing outside and with friends.

I am concerned that she complains about her legs and stomach so much. She seems to have too many aches and pains for a little girl. I think I will go to allergy testing and food intolerance tests next. Please let me know your progress in your situation. I will say a prayer that everything turns out fine. Kim :)
    [This Message was Edited on 03/02/2007]
  4. monicaz49

monicaz49 New Member

my son is 3 and tells me throughout the day his stomach hurts, no matter what he eats, what he doesnt eat, what time of day morning or night he mentions it.
    He also started saying his back hurts on the bottom and rubs his calves too!

It makes me sick to my stomach cuz i am SO ill and i dont want my little boy to suffer like me.
    I am igenex positive for lyme....and i cant bare to know he might have to go through all the blood tests, herxing, etc.

Not sure what advice i can give. Jus tkeep an eye open for new symptoms too.
  5. victoria

victoria New Member

consider hemochromatosis, called iron overload, and more than the usual blood test for serum iron levels needs to be drawn.

You might want to look at the www.hemochromatosis.org/ and read, I'm not sure how many children have been found to have it, but I think anything is possible.

Please let us know when/what you find out...

all the best,
    Victoria

6. ayhatch

ayhatch New Member

I'll check it out. He has his annual exam soon. I'm going to bring up all my concerns then.
  7. ayhatch

ayhatch New Member

I have read this article, but it's good to look at it again. I'm concerned that most youth are diagnosed from age 9 and up. My son is almost 6 and is showing a lot of these traights. AND when I palpate the tender points on his lower back, over the hips...he practically screams bloody murder.
    He has restless legs, always looks like he's doing the potty dance. He wakes every night and is very hard to waken in the morning. he also compalins of pains in his legs and stomach cramps and has irregular bowels. And he is tired ..alot!
  8. Shalala

Shalala New Member

and I have noticed things too, but he is not willing to listen and doesn't believee I have a real problem.
  9. ayhatch

ayhatch New Member

to be vigilant I guess. I'll be requesting my son's pediatrician to order tests this year at his annual exam.