SONG GAME Home

Discussion in 'Homebound/Bedbound' started by rockgor, Dec 19, 2014.

1. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi Kids

One of the nice things about going home from school for Christmas break, was
    the Christmas shows on TV. In those ancient days, dormitory rooms did not
    contain TVs, phones or video games.

My favorite song on my favorite show was this one. What other songs can
    you think of that mention home, house, dwelling, abode, etc.?

Rock

2. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Good subject Rock. :) I miss all of those old Christmas specials. Andy Williams, Perry Como, The Osmonds.
    My daughter and I were talking last night about our favorite Christmas movies. We both watch Miracle on 34the Street, 1947 version, every year. Also Holiday Inn, White Christmas, and she likes It's a Wonderful Life and The Christmas Story too.

Here's some 'Homey' songs.

"Going Home" Sad song from a sad movie, The Snake Pit.

"Home on the Range" A Western song

"This Old House" Rosemary Clooney

"Star Spangled Banner" O'er the land of the free, and the home of the brave.

"Homeward Bound" Simon and Garfunkle

"On the Street Where You Live" From My Fair Lady.
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  3. rockgor

Nice list, GB. I doubt if I would ever have thought of the Star Spangled Banner.

As you probably know, "Going Home" is another song based on a classical piece. The
    New World Symphony by Dvorak. It was sung in the film by Jan Clayton, Lassie's
    mother, and the first Julie in Rodgers' and Hammerstein's Carousel.

Yes, I like all those Christmas movies although I think "It's a Wonderful Life" is
    somewhat overrated.

Was on Youtube earlier. Daniel O'Donnell sang a song called "At Home in
    Ireland."

Rock
  4. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Rock, I don't watch It's A Wonderful Life anymore. It got tiresome to me after awhile. Never cared for Christmas Story either.

I could watch Micacle on 34 st. every week though and not tire of it. Loved Natalie Wood. I was 7 the year that was made so she must have been close to my age at the time.

I remembered that Jan Clayton, who sang Going Home was the one on Lassie but couldn't remember her name. She was my favorite mom on Lassie, better than June Lockhart, I thought. GB
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  5. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

Home is where the heart is. Don't remember by who...
  6. Willow77

Willow77 Active Member

the only one I can think of is,

A Home, a home on the range.
    Where the deer and the antelope play
    Where seldom is heard,
    a discouraging word.
    And the skies are not cloudy all day.

wow, never used the hyperlink before that is so cool
  7. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Soul, I looked up Home is Where the Heart Is, I'ts by Peter, Paul and Mary. I don't think I've heard that one before though. I'll give it a listen when I get my speakers back on my laptop

Willow, The thing I remember most about Home on the Range is a funny joke I heard on tv once.

"Oh give me a home where the buffalo roam and the deer and the anelope play...'' the guy said "Show me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a dirty house!" Too corny, right?

GB
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  8. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Rock, I was reading through the posts on Chit Chat and saw what you wrote a few days ago. I hope you're feeling better now. I know it's so discouraging to be sick for so long and then have so many other conditions added to the mix.

As you know, I'm in that same boat, and sometimes I feel like it's sinking too. :)

It'll be 37 years for me on June 19, 2015. I also have multiple other stuff going on and feel like the clock is ticking. Maybe we'll just hang in there and see what happens. There could be a breakthrough one day soon. Nothings impossible! Take care and don't give up, GB
  9. rockgor

Ok, Folks, Here are a few more homey songs.

The Green, Green Grass of Home.

Don't Step on Mother's Roses, written by Johnny Cash.
    "We all were called to come back to the old home on the farm."

Home Again from the musical Fiorello. The musical won
    several Tonys including best musical. And, it won a Pulitzer Prize.

Come Back, Paddy Reilly. "Come home Paddy Reilly to me."
    Old Irish song by Percy French.

Bless This House.
    Doesn't Anybody Know My Name? One of Rod McKuen's
    best songs. You can hear Johnny Cash sing it on Youtube.
    Contains the line "The old house is falling down."

Back Home Again in Indiana.

As well as "Round my Indiana homestead wave the cornfields,"
    from On the Banks of the Wabash. The latter is Indiana's state song.

Home Again is a cheerful ditty. The rest of these songs are
    nostalgic and/or mournful. You can hear all these songs
    on Youtube of course.

Thanks for your thoughts, GB. I had a shock yesterday. Found out something
    that I thought happened last summer actually took place two and a half years
    ago. My mind has deteriorated more than I thought. Good thing I don't have
    to work anymore.

Rock

10. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Rock, Those are great songs! Lots of Irish ones too. :) Oh, and I just watched a Christmas special of a choir. It was Christmas in Norway, St. Olaf choir. Really pretty.
    GB
    rockgor likes this.
  11. rockgor

Hi Kids

GB, I saw part of the St. Olaf concert too. Contrary to what Rose (Betty White)
    claimed on The Golden Girls, there was no such town as St. Olaf in Minnesota.
    But there was a St. Olaf College. My aunt went there. And she and my uncle
    were married there in 1950. I was present; ten years old. The only thing I remember
    is the punch bowl at the reception. It was made of ice.

Anyhoo, the St. Olaf College choir has had the reputation of being the best in the state
    for decades. They used to have a famous choir director who wrote arrangements
    for choirs. I remember seeing his name on sheet music: F. Melius Christiansen.
    After his death his son took over. What was his name? Olaf!

"The Hills of Home" is a song that's been around for a long time. When I was
    a kid we had a 78 rpm record of it by the American opera singer Claramae Turner.
    I was pleased to see the recording is on Youtube. Wasn't so pleased when I tried to
    play it though. No workee.

Anyhoo, here is Frank Parker's version. Frank used to be the vocalist on the Jack
    Benny show. Was later part of Arthur Godfrey's gang. Recorded several albums
    in the 50s. Some with Marion Marlowe, the dark haired, beautiful soprano. She
    was also on Godfrey's show. Played the part of the Baroness in the original
    "Sound of Music" on Broadway.

Rock
  12. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Rock, Gee Whiz, I'm disappointed that there is no St. Olaf in Mn. I always loved to hear Rose talk about her home. Dorothy used to roll her eyes every time Rose said "back in St. Olaf....."

I don't remember any of those singers you mentioned. I used to listen to Arthur Godfrey on the raido and then saw his show on tv for years. The same with Jack Benny.

I also recall Ted Mack's Amateur Hour. I was listening to them on the radio when Eddie Fisher and also Pat Boone won the competitions. It was the old time version of American Idol I guess. :)

They introduced Pat Boone as the ggggggrandson of Daniel Boone. (Not really sure how many ggggg's.) And Eddie was always Private Eddie Fisher. Golden moments, huh. GB
    rockgor likes this.
  13. ConfusedInPA

ConfusedInPA Well-Known Member

Hi y'all .....

I've been reading, and re-reading this thread. Some songs I know. Most I don't know.

BUT, I'm stuck in the '70s, just from reading ROCK's TITLE:

HOME, DAWN featuring Tony Orlando, 1970 (on 45 rpm -- remember those??)
    This was the B side to TIE A YELLOW RIBBON

Oh the jukebox in my head!!!!.........LOL

Diane

PS: In case y'all can't tell, I'm a fan of Tony Orlando & Dawn. :D

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  14. ConfusedInPA

And another one ....

Country Roads, Take Me Home, John Denver

GB -- I don't know if you have speakers (yet), but just watch this video (even without sound). It's so cool, the scenery. I've been to West Virginia. That's where Kevin is from. :)

Later, my music lovin' friends ....

Diane
  15. rockgor

Hi Kids

Great video, Diane. I first heard Country Roads following a barbershop concert
    in Ventura, CA. Went to a friend's house afterwords. Some of the singers
    came along. Everybody sang. Country Roads was sung so many times I
    learned the lyrics.

Wikipedia says the song was played at the funeral of Senator Robert Byrd who
    represented W. V. I read that earlier this year West Virginia changed its state
    song to C. R.

In the 60s John sang for a few years with the Chad Mitchell Trio. I talked to the
    group after a concert. Met one of the other members a few years ago on Youtube.
    We had a long phone conversation. He was living with Leo Herlihy, the author
    of "Midnight Cowboy."

Remember the old joke about Tony Orlando and Dawn? Which one is "And"?

Rock
  16. ConfusedInPA

Hi Rock!

Loved reading your reply! You know sooooo much about sooooo many topics. And you've met lots of people (famous or semi-famous). :) I enjoy your posts.

Here's another, probably little-known song:

YOU'RE MY HOME, Billy Joel, 1973
    (from his album Piano Man)

"When you look into my eyes
    And you see the crazy gypsy in my soul
    It always comes as a surprise
    When I feel my withered roots begin to grow
    Well I never had a place that I could call my very own
    That's all right, my love, 'cause you're my home"

Diane, a Billy Joel fan

And PS: I never heard that Joke about T.O. & Dawn! So who exactly was "AND". LOL LOL LOL
  17. rockgor

Hi Diane

Tony Randall was talking to Mike Nichols about jokes. Mike said, "Well, they're all
    new if you haven't heard 'em." This helped motivate Tony to assemble a book of
    show biz anecdotes. Titled "That Reminds Me." Lotsa good stories. I should
    read it again.

I just posted on the porch. There's a video I found on Youtube of Whack a Mouse.

Never heard "You're My Home" or Billy Joel before. Not bad. It does sound
    reminiscent of Country Roads. Terrible picture though. He looks embalmed. :)

Rock
  18. ConfusedInPA

Rock, LOL.

I did not like that album cover pic of Billy Joel. CREEPY! Billy Joel is a talented singer and songwriter, with a multi-decade career.

Yes, I saw the Whack a Mouse video on the Porch. LOL

Here's another "home" song. It's a "newer" song.

BON JOVI, Who Says You Can't Go Home, 2006

"Who says you can’t go home
    There’s only one place they call me one of their own
    Just a hometown boy, born a rolling stone, who says you can’t go home
    Who says you can’t go back, been all around the world and as a matter of fact
    There’s only one place left I want to go, who says you can’t go home
    It’s alright, it’s alright, it’s alright, it’s alright, its alright"

Diane :)
  19. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Diane and Rock, I'm enjoying reading this post so much. Brings back lots of memories and I'm learning about some songs I've never heard before.

Diane, that is a beautiful video. Georgeous scenery, a lot like TN Smoky Mts. I'll replay it when I bring up my newer computer, this one is finished. I always liked John Denver's voice, so mellow.

Tony Orlando and Dawn brings back great memories. They sang such happy songs. Aw, to be back in the 70's again! I grew up in the 50's but the 70's were my favorite years. I felt the best I ever have during that time, I was in my early 30's. Kids were older, I was in college part time, life was good. Then, (CFS hit in 1978.)

Rock, I enjoy all your show biz stories too. Sounds like a dream life! Let's come up with another game folks, more cool songs. GB
  20. rockgor

His Kids

I posted a song on the "Mother" thread that also has the word home in it. "I'll
    Tell My Ma When I Go Home", the boys won't leave the girls alone.

I'll Be Home For Christmas, if only in my dreams. Came across a song with a
    similar but shorter title on Youtube sung by Pat Boone. "I'll Be Home."

Pat is still with us. He's very old; 6 years older than I. His wife Shirley could
    sing too. In the days when I still had my record collection, I had a duet record
    of Pat and Shirley. She was the daughter of Red Foley, a country western star
    in days gone by.

I love the name of Red's birthplace. Blue Lick, Kentucky. Reminds me of the
    time I was in the mental health ward at St. John's hospital. A fellow patient was
    a young gal from Gunflint, Tennessee.

My Old Kentucky Home. Nelson Eddy sings it on Youtube. And speaking of
    Nelson reminds me of Jeanette MacDonald. I used to have several of her records.
    I think one song she recorded was about a little thatched cottage by the side of
    the road of something. Can't remember. It's terrible to lose your keys or phone
    or wallet. It's even worse to lose your mind. Argghh!

Well, anyhoo, speaking of Jeanette reminds me of Old MacDonald. He lived on
    a farm.

I don't think anydobby has posted Home, Sweet Home yet. Seems to me Jeanette
    recorded that too. Australia's great soprano Joan Sutherland did. Never saw Jeanette
    live, but I did see Nelson in a concert and Joan with the Met.

AHA! I got it. The song is called Smilin' Through. Jeanette starred in a movie of
    the same name during WW II. The male stars were the British Brian Aherne and
    her husband (in real life) Gene Raymond. Gene was a successful actor, etc.
    Wikipedia reports he has two stars on Hollywood's Walk of Fame. Just a hop,
    skip and a jump from my own little cottage. (Actually it's an old 2-story house
    near Sunset Blvd. and close to downtown LA.)

"There's a little brown road windin' over the hill
    To a little white cot by the sea
    There's a little green gate at whose trellis I wait
    While two eyes o' blue come smilin' through at me."

So it wasn't the cottage that was brown; it was the road. LOL

Rock