Song Game Musical Instruments

Discussion in 'Homebound/Bedbound' started by gb66, May 23, 2014.

1. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Here's another song game idea for us to work on. (Thanks to Judy's suggestion.)

Names of songs with musical instruments in the title or mentioned in the song. Anything referring to writing or singing songs too.
    Last edited: May 23, 2014
  2. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

"Piano Man" Billy Joel, 1973

"I Write The Songs" written by Bruce Johnston in 1975, sung by Barry Manilow

On one I Love Lucy episode, 'Ricky' sang a song about his guitar. I think it was Cantar Guitarra. Not sure though.
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Well, let's see. One of our greatest song writers was a guy who who came to this country
    from Russia when he was five. Don't think they ever made a movie bio of him, but his
    songs were in lots of movies and Broadway shows. Here's one of my favorites by two
    of my favorites.

Rock
  4. rockgor

Oh, Oh! Another Ooops! I meant to post the name of Irving Berlin. Somehow I didn't.
    Anyhoo Irving wrote lots of hit songs: No Business Like Show Business; Alexander's Rag
    Time Band; This is the Army; White Christmas; Always; Remember, God Bless America.

The above clip is from the film Easter Parade. And Irving wrote songs for several movies
    and Broadway shows.

I don't remember which version of Beautiful Dreamer I posted. There are pages of
    them on Youtube. By pop singers and opera singers and country western and choirs
    and instrumentals. Was it the one with Marilyn Horn, American opera singer? There
    are two version by her. If you like Americana, Tom Roush has recorded dozens of old
    song. He sings and plays all the instruments too.

He's recorded several Stephen Foster songs including BD.

I think I might do a separate post about 1958. Back in the days when we were
    healthy and cute. Funny how different the world looked then. And it really
    was different too!

Rock
  5. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

Jo met de Banjo, en Lien met de Mandolien, Kaatje met het mondharmonicaatje, Truitje met een luitje, je moet dat stel eens zien. Wij zijn zo doooool op een Man, dol op een Man, dol op een Mandolien.

(It's a sixties song I think... about three sisters who play Banjo, Mandoline, and Mouth organ and who don't want anything to do with Men :p Still they sing we love Man, we love Man, we love Man...doline.)

And there is a lovely song about the guitar by the muppets, Scooter I think, let's see if I can find it.

Six string orchestra:
    Last edited: May 24, 2014
  6. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Good videos Soul. Thanks.
  7. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

More songs:

"Danny Boy", Oh Danny Boy the pipes, the pipes are calling, from glen to glen and down the mountain side.

"Strike Up The Band," A song from the musical Strike Up The Band by George and Ira Gershwin.

"Seventy-Six Trombones", from The Music Man written by Meredith Wilson.

"With a Song in My Heart", From the musical Spring is Here by Rogers and Hart. Recorded by Jane Froman, Mario Lanza, Doris Day, to name a few.
    Last edited: May 25, 2014
  8. rockgor

Hi Soul

Love the videos you posted. They are both cheerful. Make me want to dance. A polka maybe. I note the Sesame Street song refers to a saxaohone as a horn. The crossword puzzles do the same thing with oboe. But saxophones and oboes belong to the reed family, not the horn family. The sax was invented by Adolphe Sax who was from your neck of the woods: Belgium.

GB, I was gonna post 76 trombones too. What a kawinkydink! The writer of the song (from
    "The Music Man) was Meredith Wilson who was from Mason City, IA. I was there about
    40 years ago. Walked across the Meredith Wilson footbridge.

Meredith and I had a lot in common. He composed; I listened. And we both played the
    flute. He also played the piccolo (same fingering). I played badly in the High School
    Band. He was a virtuoso. Played in John Philip Sousa's band.

More songs: Phil the Fluter's Ball (Irish song). The Trumpeter. Little Drummer Boy.
    Tennessee Flat Top Box (a guitar); written by Johnny Cash.

Rock
  9. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I made a mistake on the 76 Trombones but corrected it. Thanks.

I was looking at the wrong one. I think my brain was crossed as well as my eyes.

My daughter played the clarinet in her high school band. She was pretty good too. I never played a musical instrument but did sing a lot in choruses and choirs. GB
  10. ConfusedInPA

ConfusedInPA Well-Known Member

Hi GB, Rock, Soul, etc.,

Another music thread. Woo hoo!!! :)

Here's a few more ---------------

Different Drum, Linda Ronstadt & The Stone Poneys, 1967

Green Tambourine, The Lemon Pipers, 1968

Baby Grand, Billy Joel & Ray Charles, 1986

I enjoy reading about all the songs posted, and watching the videos! :)

Diane :D
  11. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

Rock did you know Bing Crosby and David Bowie did a duet of Little drummer boy. Let's see if I can find it:

Still gives me goose bumps... :)

I played the recorder in 'high school' (? age 15/16) . There where 8 of us who picked music as a seventh optional exam year subject and it was a really nice time. I don't have to good high school memories but music was fun and a safe group to be in. Someone played guitar, flute, soprano recorder, alt recorder, clarinet, piano, drums and not sure what else we had in there...
    Last edited: May 25, 2014
  12. HomerCole

HomerCole Member

13. windblade

windblade Active Member

I think this musical game will work out fine.

"Seargent Peppers Lonely Heart Club Band' - The Beatles.

GB - I love Linda Ronstadt's Blue Bayou. And I think she's the only other person who sang Smokey Robinson's 'Oooh, Baby, Baby" as well as he could! What a wonderful voice she has!
  14. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

It's working wonderfully well, it may just be a little confusing to those who didn't read the first post and think that this is about musicals instead of musical instruments :p
    QUOTE: Names of songs with musical instruments in the title or mentioned in the song. Anything referring to writing or singing songs too.
  15. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Hi Judy, I don't recognize the Ooh Baby Baby song. I've probably heard it but just can't place it. She does have an unusual voice. Kinda mellow. Did you see the new game I just posted a little while ago? It's, any song with love in the title or lyrics. Lots of those I'll bet.

Put on our thinking caps! GB
    Last edited: May 27, 2014
  16. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Soul, I think this is a fun game. Have you seen the new one with songs that have the word 'Love' in the title or lyrics?

I just changed the title on this thread to include the word 'Instruments'. maybe that'll help. GB
    Soul* likes this.
  17. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

Yes I already posted there Gb :D
  18. ConfusedInPA

ConfusedInPA Well-Known Member

GB said: "... Anything referring to writing or singing songs too."

Which reminded me of ...............

SING A SONG, The Carpenters, 1973
    Sing, sing a song
    Sing out loud
    Sing out strong
    Sing of good things not bad
    Sing of happy not sad.

I remember singing this one in high school glee club.

Diane

[​IMG]
    Soul* likes this.
  19. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

Oooh I think this one was on the muppet show too :D
  20. windblade

windblade Active Member

"Hey Mr. Tambourine Man, play a song for me
    I'm not sleepy and there is no place I'm going to.
    Hey Mr. Tambourine Man, play a song for me
    In the Jingle, Jangle morning I'll come following you. - Bob Dylan, and later sung by The Byrds

That one brings back lots of good memories. I was a teenager and exploring New York City for the first time.

Going to go back and listen to Soul and Diane's videos. They're so much fun!