SONG LYRICS GAME No. 4 CLOSED

Discussion in 'Homebound/Bedbound' started by rockgor, Feb 23, 2014.

1. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

OK, Kids

In accordance with Freida's wish, I am starting a new thread.
    Take your pick:

1. Somewhere over the rainbow, way up high.

2. I've got sixpence, Jolly. jolly sixpence.

3. On top of Old Smokey, All covered with snow,

BTW, Over the years I've found that many sites do not have the lyrics correct. I think the
    poster is sometimes guessing at the lyrics based on listening to the song. Remember the
    theme song for "Golden Girls"?

"And if you threw a party,
    Invited everyone you knew!
    You would see,
    The biggest gift would be from me,
    And the card attached would say,
    Thank you for being a friend!"

For years I thought "card attached" was "heart attack"!

Rock
  2. Darrae

Darrae Member

I pick all three. Good song suggestions Rock!

There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.

I've got sixpence to last me all my life.

Ok, I can't stand it!

I've got two pence to spend and two pence to lend
    and two pence to send home to my wife, poor wife!

No cares have I to grieve me,
    No pretty little girls to deceive me.
    I'm as happy as a lark believe me,
    as I go rolling, rolling home!

I just had to go on with that one! Rock, I haven't heard or thought about that song in years! We sang it in chorus when I was in elementary school. Such a jaunty little tune. That one will be running round in my noggin the rest of the afternoon. LOL :D

I lost my true lover come a courting too slow?
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  3. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

"For courtin's a pleasusre, and parting is grief, but a false hearted lover is worse than a thief." (On Top of Old Smokey). (I've been there. It's Clingman's Dome in Gatlinburg TN!)

"There's a land that I heard of once in a lullabye>" (Somewhere Over the Rainbow")
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  4. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

More on the sit-com themes. Anyone remember this sit-com song from the 80's, I think. "This is it, this is life, the one you get so go and have a ball".
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  5. rockgor

Hi Kids

Very good on the "Over the Rainbow" lyrics, Frieda. I read that after the film was completed,
    some of the execs at MGM wanted to cut the song from the film. They didn't think it was
    appropriate to have some one singing in a pig pen. After all, the guiding principle at MGM
    was "Do it big; do it right. Give it class."

Of course, it wasn't really a pig pen. It was a farmyard. Another version of the story (There
    are always multiple version of show biz stories) is that the idea was just to speed up the movie.

GB, I never heard of Clingman's Dome before. Found several videos of it on Youtube.
    What a beautiful place. It never occurred to me that "Old Smoky" might be a real place.
    Oh yeah, never heard that sit com song. I pretty much quit watching sitcoms a couple
    decades ago. Then I watched some later ones like The Golden Girls and Roseanne.
    I like that current show Betty White is on, but seldom see it.

Dar, the sixpence song is jaunty, alright. We used to sing it at Bible Camp on the shores
    of Lake Pepin. Right across the river from where Laura Ingalls lived. (That was before
    she became a Wilder.) The river in question was the mighty Mississippi, and Lake Pepin
    wasn't really a lake. It was just a wide spot in the Mississippi. The locals claims it
    is where water skiing was invented.

Going back ta bed.
    Rock
  6. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Rock, I've been to Gatlinburg a number of times and the Smoky Mtns. are really beautiful. Clingman's Dome is over 6,000 feet. I couldn't make it all the way to the top. I already had come down with CFS and FM when we visited there but was still able to do a good deal of walking back then. When I get well, I'm going back.
  7. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

The next line of my song is: "This is it, straight ahead and just be sure, you can't be sure at all. So while you're here enjoy the view, just keep doing what you do and some way we'll muddle through... One day at a time."

(This song kinda fits our situations!)

This is from the tv show "One Day at a Time"
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  8. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

Somewhere over the rainbow, way up high.
    There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
    Somewhere over the rainbow, skies are blue,
    and the dreams that you dare to dream
    really do come true.....

I wish upon a summers day and all the clouds have gone away behind me..... (something like this)
  9. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Soul, your line is beautiful. You're very poetic.

"Some day I'll wish upon a star and wake up where the clouds are far behind me, where troubles melt like lemon drops away above the chimney tops that's where you'll find me."
  10. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Freida, that made me think of Pippi Longstocking too. lol
    Yes, we posted together, same words.
  11. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

Ooooh now I just have to sing the Pippi Longstocking song but I only know the Dutch version:

Drie maal drie is zes wiedewiedewie wil van mij leren
  12. rockgor

Hi Kids

Good for you, Diane. You posted a video. Why don't you drop by this afternoon and show
    me how to do that. I've read how to do it. Just can't understand what I'm reading. Oh,
    the humanity!

Anyhoo, I recognize the lyrics you posted. I even know the melody that goes with them, but
    I can't think of any additional lines. Maybe "On a something cloud of something"? My guess
    is it's a song from "The King and I". The show that made Yul Brenner a star. The song title is
    "Shall we Dance".

I remember Pippi Longstockings. There were several books. Used to read them to my son.
    As well as Winnie the Pooh, Curious George, Dr. Seuss, and lottsa other I can't remember.

GB, I remember the "One Day At a Time show". The theme song was catchy. There is
    another song titled "One Day At a Time" written by Kris Kirstofferson and Marijohn
    Wilken. Both were singers, songwriters and alcoholics. The song is the 12 step program
    set to music.

Kris was married 3 times, I think. One of his wives was Rita Coolidge. I used to play
    bridge with her manager. He gave me several of her tapes. Alas, I didn't care much for
    her tentative way of singing or the songs she picked. Or maybe the record company
    picked them.

Freida, Pippi did not live in Minnesota, although lottsa Scandinavians were settlers there.
    I think Pippi pretty much lived in Sweden. The author's first name was Astrid. I knew
    an Astrid. Used to see her at meetings of The Sons of Norway.

There was a Swedish born opera singer named Astrid Varnay. The family moved to the
    USA when she was young. A great voice which she ruined by singing roles that were
    too "heavy" for her. That is, a bigger voice was required. Singers have been doing that
    for a long time. Jose Carreras, one of the "Three Tenors" did the same thing decades later.

Soul, you're avatar cow looks so wistful. I almost expect her to sing, "Someday my
    Prince will Come". I'm sure it would be a very mooving experience.

Well, I've been sitting here for an hour. My back is starting to act up. Better go lie
    down. Gordon has gone to Alhambra to buy groceries at the Chinese store. It's
    not the Alhambra in Spain. It's in the San Gabriel valley, about 10 miles from here.

Hugs
    Rock
  13. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

Diane, yes that's the song :p

Rock my little calf was saved from the concrete floor it was laying on as I drew it a much more comfy field to lay in :D She's way to young to dream of princes, it's a newborn calf.

I already drew the prince (frog) once. On another occasion will post it as my avatar. But it already has a frog princess.
  14. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

First time I heard it in English, only know the Dutch one but the lyrics seem quite different. In the Dutch song she is singing all kinds of wrong math sums and ask who wants to learn from her :p
  15. rockgor

Hi Kids

OK, I followed your instructions, Diane. We'll see what happens.

I"m not surprised you mentioned Karen Carpenter. She and Rita are very similar. I
    just like the one and not the other.

Soul, is your a calf a painting? I thought it was a photo.

Rock

OMG!!! It worked! I'm gonna try it again. I'm so excited. Like learning to ride a bike.
    Soul* likes this.
  16. rockgor

OK, this is launch number two.

This is the Kristofferson-Wilkin 12 step song. It was a platinum record for Cristy Lane.
    I used to have several different recordings of this song. The 12 step program was a
    great help in combating my depression.

Thank you, Diane!

Rock
  17. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

Yes it's a painting I made on my phone :D
  18. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Diane and Rock, I'm glad to see others who remember Karen Carpenter. I put part of one of her songs on one of our song threads but nobody knew it! Maybe I'll try another.

I love the Statler Brothers too. Used to listen to their gospel stuff back in the '60s. GB
  19. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

The Karen C. song I had on before was: "Talking to myself and feeling old, nothing is really wrong, feeling like I don't belong.......:

Here's another: "L.A. is a great big freeway, put a hundred down and buy a car........:

An Elvis one: "Well it's one for the money, two for the show, three to get ready now go cat go......."
  20. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

Why don't you step on my blue suede shoes, you can do anything but lay of of my blue suede shoes.