SONG LYRICS GAME No. 8

Discussion in 'Homebound/Bedbound' started by rockgor, Mar 18, 2014.

1. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi Kids

Here's a song with intricate lyrics by Howard Dietz. Dietz was half the team of Schwartz and Dietz, a successful song writing duo that wrote, among others, the hit song "Dancing in the Dark". He was also a Vice President at MGM.

Rock
  2. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

Since we don't have a new song to guess yet, here's a line of a song we used to sing in the choir I was in. I bet Rock knows it.

Oh we ain't got a barrel of money
  3. rockgor

Good one, Soul. You got it, Freida.

"Oh, we ain't got a barrel of money. Maybe we're ragged and funny.
    But we'll travel along, singing our song, Side by Side."

A popular duet for many decades. Under current Federal law, this song may only
    be sung by two people. They are required to wear matching straw boaters or,
    in states West of the Mississippi, tasteful cowboy hats such as a Stetson.

Rock
  4. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

Through all kinds of weather, wether it rains or storms
  5. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

Ha I probably could get those somewhere :p When my mom turned 50 we kidnapped her blindfolded to paris in an oldtimer dodge with my brothers both wearing cowboy hats :cool:

Disney land Paris just came into existence then I think, wasn't completely finished yet.

Small Parisian parking basements aren't made for Dodges by the way, we got stuck.

In the state of Confusion is a special law that anyone can sing the song as long as they look ragged and funny, we'll be fine Leah :D
    freida and rockgor like this.
  6. rockgor

Shame you don't have the required hats, Freida. You will have to take up
    that issue with the government which is always doing its best for us. :eek:

Next part is something like this:

Through all kinds of weather, what if the sky should fall?
    Just as long as we're together, it really doesn't matter at all.

So when we've all had our troubles and parted,
    We'll be ...

Gee, haven't heard this song for a coon's age. Hafta go find it
    on Youtube.

Rock
    freida likes this.
  7. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

When they all have there troubles and parted
    We'll still be here where we started
  8. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I started a song at the end of (#7). It was ("Look at me, I'm as helpless as a kitten up a tree." (hint: Julie London)

Diane, was that song you posted "50 ways to leave your lover" ?
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  9. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

10. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

By the way I just noticed these fellows aren't wearing any hats :eek:
  11. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

As long as we sing in the state of Confusion we are safe Leah, they opted out.
  12. rockgor

Well, I recognize "Look at me, I'm as helpless as a kitten up a tree." Just don't know what
    song it is. And I never even heard of "The Boxer" even though I had some Simon and
    Garfunkel records.

Anyone remember the singing duo of Sandler and Young? I listened to them sing "Side
    By Side" on Youtube. Used to have one of their records.

Are there any singers of today who have good voices? Kinda doubt it. Oh yeah, am
    reading the joint autobiography of Tony Martin and Cyd Charisse. A great look back
    at the entertainment world during the Golden Age of radio and movies.

Rock
  13. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I've never heard of the boxer either. That kitten up a tree song is "Misty". It was sung by Julie London and several others. I do remember that mellow voice too. Johnny Mathis or Nat King Cole maybe?

Sandler & Young sound familiar but can't quite remember why.

End of "Side by Side": "Through all kinds of weather, what if the sky should fall, just as long as we're together, it really doesn't matter at all..When they've all had their quarrels and parted, we'll be the same as we started...Just traveling along, singing our song, side by side. (Or something like that).

When I was a teenager one of our local radio stations had a weekly talent contest. Three of my friends and I auditioned for it with the song. We stunk! :)
    Soul* likes this.
  14. windblade

windblade Active Member

I kept my brown suede floppy 60's hat, so I'm sure I have permission to post those days of songs.

Must I wear it while I type? Important consideration.

Diane - thank you for bringing my lyrics here from the last thread.

The beginning words are:

" There is a town in North Ontario
    Dream comfort memory to spare
    And in my mind I still need a place to go
    All my changes were there.

Hints - the song came out in 1970 (which was still part of The Sixties). Written by a member of a popular group
    with 3 other male singers.

The Simon and Garfunkel song has been popping up in my mind since I watched their concert in Central Park, but I couldn't place the title. Happy to come here and listen and find all the lyrics. Had forgotten the title too.

The words as I remembered them from listening to their record at the time were:

" All lies in jest
    Till a man hears what he wants to hear,
    And disregards the rest."

That sounds more hopeful to me, so I'm going to keep my version in my head. It sounds like an important discovery, instead of cynicism. Sorry S&
    G.
  15. rockgor

Thanks for the Martin and Lewis video, Soul. Did you know who Jerry was imitating?
    Al Jolson and Jackie Gleason. You guys ever notice that with comedy teams, it's
    always the straight guy who gets first billing: Martin and Lewis; Abbot and Costello;
    Burns and Allen.

Of course with some comics, there is no straight man. E.g., Amos and Andy or
    Laurel and Hardy. And then, some comedy teams aren't duos: The 3 Stooges,
    The Marx Brothers.

Diane, The Boxer song was great. Wonder why I never noticed it before. But the
    lyrics don't matter much when Simon and Garfunkel are singing. They are pretty
    much indistinguishable.

GB, any existing evidence of your audition? Inquiring minds want to know.
    I was a winner in a talent show when I was in 6th grade or so. Won 2nd prize
    for turning cartwheels and playing something on the piano. Not simultaneously.

Freida, a special thread on hats would be novel. I only owned two hats in my life.
    One was a straw hat I wore to a Dodger baseball game at nearby Dodger Stadium.
    The other was the formal kinda hat that businessmen wear. I think I wore that twice.

Windblade, you look very spiffy in your suede hat. I like hats, but they don't like me.
    Soon as I put one on, my head starts sweating. It's like being in a shower.

Rock
  16. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

Searches youtube for Rock turning cartwheels on the piano.... :p

Oooooh that looks amazzzzzzing, did you know someone taped that Rock?
  17. windblade

windblade Active Member

Diane - hmmm, I don't know country, so those words don't ring a bell.

Another clue on my song and you would probably know it if you heard it. I had forgotten most of the lyrics too.

Okay the starting lines are:

"There is a town in North Ontario
    Dream comfort memory to spare
    And in my mind I still need a place to go
    All my changes were there.

Blue, blue windows behind the stars
    Yellow moon on the rise
    Big birds flying across the sky
    Casting shadows on our eyes
    Leave us helpless, helpless, helpless .

(Last 2 lines new clue)
  18. windblade

windblade Active Member

Here is a real old time one from the 30's I think:

"The very thought of you
    And I forget to do...."
  19. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

"The little ordinary things that everyone ought to do" Is the title of the song "The very thought of you" ?

I can't remember anymore lyrics but I think it has lines like "I see your face in..................? I think the last line ends in "My love"
    Unless I'm thinking of another song. :)
  20. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Here's another '50s song: "..............., too young to really be in love"