....Sons of God marry daughters of Men...Genesis 6:1 et seq.

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by Cactuslil, Jul 31, 2002.

1. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

Sometime ago I was asked about where I got the notion of the "sons of Gods" et al. Well here it is:

"And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them, 2. That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose. 3. And the Lord said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh; yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years. 4. There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown."

I always just "presumed", yes dangerous to presume, that the intermingling with the women, born of the flesh of both man and woman, when they had sexual relations with the "sons of God" and I have seen that written "sons of Gods", produced what latter became known of as the "Giants".

Anyway, surely I have no answer except to answer whoever asked me months ago where I came up with the business of the sons of God and the daughters of women.

A purely academic reply! CactusLil'
  2. j9miller

j9miller New Member

Hi CactusLil',

I read that to mean the wickedness and judgement of man. The sons of God are angels. You can also find that in Job 1:6, 2:1, 38:7). These angels took human wives. This produced an unnatural union which violated the God-ordained order of human marriage and procreation. I have heard some people say that the sons of God were the sons of Seth who lived with the daughters of Cain. Others believe they were human kings wanting harems. The New Testament identifies the sons of God with fallen angels who indwelt in man. (2 Peter 2:4-5, Jude 6).

Don't know what the question someone originally asked you was but I thought I would throw in my opinion. Hope I didn't tread on unwanted territory. Just like to read the Bible.

Janine

3. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

It is a truth that all angels mentioned in scripture are male so what you said made some sense. We, atleast, me, forget that along with Lucifer went one-third of the host of heaven. I also knew, but forgot, we need discernment because the fallen Lucifer and his angels at one time were our brothers; I will look up your ref's and see what it says..

I'm doing a re-study of the scriptures. For the last year and a half I have not been able to get to church and therefore got lax on study. I home school my 10 year old son and he was even shocked how much he had forgotten.
    Love, CactusLil'