Son's OK, (apaches collide Iraq) Stressful year

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by IntuneJune, Dec 30, 2005.

1. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

PARAGRAPH IS AN ADDENDUM ADDED TWO DAYS LATER 1/1/06 (Below is the original post, the responders words below evoked a new question in me for all on the board which is in the post about six posts later) I am curious how folks feel about the question.

Original post:

Some of you may remember, my son is an Apache helicopter pilot in Iraq. We heard on the news two apaches collided north of Baghdad. This is the area my son patrols. My husband drove faster than usual from work (he has a long commute) to get home to the phone for any messages, none was there. He fired up the computer, checked email and before the military had gone to "communications black-out" Mike was able to send an email stating he had just heard of an apache accident and that he was safe on the ground.

We have heard nothing since. The military allows no communication until the families are notified. However our illustrious MEDIA has to BE THE FIRST to tell us in their never-ending rating wars.

I would like someone from the media to explain to me why I or say any member here on the board, needs to know the MOMENT a helicopter crashes in Iraq, or a tank gets blown up KNOWING the stress their actions are imposing on military families.

Is there anyone on this board who would MIND if you were not notified of the crash until AFTER the families inolved were notified?

We have had a very stressful year, my husband is recovering EXCEEDINGLY well from his accident. Two weeks later he had surgery from which he recovered quickly. He is still in a cast on his left arm from the break. His face is back to as normal as it probably ever will be again.

News folks are dumping more unnecessary stress on our lives.

Intunejune

[This Message was Edited on 01/01/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 01/01/2006]
  2. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Thank you for the prayers for my son. We appreciate them so.

Thank you for your heartfelt words......

We try to avoid tv news, but the radio is a little different. My husband listens to a station that gives good traffic reports which help him re-route when there has been an accident on the highway.

At work, the supervisor has the radio on all day.

On one accasion when an apache went down, we had an emergency that day at work. Our entire office area flooded. The supervisor was on vacation and I was acting supervisor. We were in a total mess. There were no radios on that I was able to hear. HOWEVER, every co-worker heard about the "apache down" and didn't want to tell me. They knew I didn't hear it, and were holding their breath for the moment when I caught wind of the news.

My other two sons had heard the news and were scrambling for more info before they called me.

All of this was TOTALLY unncessary!

New media has such a lack of respect.

Thanks everyone again, your messages were soul-soothing.

Love, June
  3. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Thank you for your prayers............ The power of prayer is strong.....and being on the receiving end of that power gives me and my family strength.....it's almost tangible.

Thanks everyone.....

And I hate to break this wonderful place I feel I am in right now......but there is one more thing.

I agree with the statement that our media has at times put the US in dangerous, harmful situations.....

Also, when my son was home for his two weeks R&R and caught "news" programs, his remark was of the news on Iraq, "that is not the Iraq I know." Now Mike has been there almost a year.

He was not saying that the horrific things we hear and see do not happen such as the car bombings. But he was saying that the atmosphere in the country as a whole is different. He says there are a lot of wonderful things happening.

More than being fired upon by the enemy, an apache helicopter pilot's worst enemy (now in Iraq) in flying the helicopter is all the NEW construction cropping up every where. "Like weeds" is the term he used. The pilots don't know from day to day where new obstacles will have cropped up. Communication wires, poles, etc. Apaches fly slow and low.

This Iraq sitation is a War, and media chooses to tell us only the most negative. This is not BALANCED reporting which should be done in political and war news reporting.
    Otherwise, the reporting is slanting the outcome. The outcome is no longer the whole truth.

Most news has become negative because it is more sensational which brings me to another point/question. How does the news affect you? Do we internalize all the bad we hear?????? Over time do we forget the particulars of the news but have our brain tissues/memory hold onto negativity??? Do we view the world as a negative place????? As a fearful place????

Being bombarded with headlines --usually negative--- over a period of time does that make us depressed---on a deeper tissue level without our realizing it?????

Thinking out loud. Thank you every one, keep those prayers coming.

Fondly June

4. pspatnode

pspatnode New Member

I have a daughter in Iraq, stationed in Baghdad. Thankfully she should be home this month or at the latest next and approval had gone through for her to retire in July. It has been a long, hard year for her and her family.

The first thing I check when an incident is reported on the media is where it happened and then I look for what group was involved. Like you, I hope for an e-mail from her.

I am happy to have the media report as they do - otherwise we would never hear anything!
  5. Jana1

Jana1 New Member

My son left for Iraq on the 30th of November. I thought I was the only one holding my breath every time I heard the "news" until I heard from my son again. I detest the way the media handles things here about the war and the country of Iraq. My son has also told me how well things are going there, and how grateful the people seem to be to the soldiers for coming there and giving them a chance for freedom.

I am glad your son is home any day now...and I admire all the people here who have braved sons or daughters in the war.

Jana