Soo Saddd...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by joannie1, Dec 23, 2002.

1. joannie1

joannie1 New Member

Here I am completely ready and waiting for Christmas. Gifts are wrapped and under the tree or hidden for Santa to arrive and we get a call last night at 9:30. My Grampa is very ill. Just turned 89 in November. A week after that he broke his leg just by stepping out of bed. He has emfazema really bad and couldn't handle the surgery to set his leg. The day after Thanksgiving he is hospitalized for pnemonia and we discover he has also advanced stages of prostrate cancer. He came home and was hospitalized again a week later. He just came home on this past friday with oxygen and we were excited. At least we have one more Christmas with him And the Holidays we can take to him to him this year. Last night at 9:30 we got the call... He could not breath and was blue we need to pull the family together. Got his breathing somewhat under control and did tests this morning, not good. He has in both lungs what they fear is severe cancer. One has already collapsed. He has been brought to a bigger Hospital here in town and tomorrow morning has to have a biopsy to test the lung tissue. The family had to discuss whether or not if he has problems to put him on a ventalator, we declined. Our biggest fear is he strong enough to pull through? We were given the worst news ever, he will never come home to us again. After he is stable he will be moved to Hospice to spend the rest of his days.
    Please everyone pray for my family. I am so sad for my Mom and her nine sisters having to go through this on Christmas. It is suposed to be a joyous time. I think I am still in a big disbelief cloud or --Fibro Fog-- from no sleep. Still have hours of baking and i hope i can do it.
    Thanks for listening i appreciate it.
    Happy holidays.
    Joannie
  2. teach6

teach6 New Member

Prayers are going up for you and your family. Death is never easy to face, but I think it is especially difficult at this time of year.

In the meantime, take it easy and don't overdo it. You won't do any one any good lilke that. Maybe you can cut back on the baking and buy a few store bought things to add to what you can do.

Barbara
  3. 1Writer

1Writer New Member

and so is your family...God be with you all and stay well and try to have a Merry Christmas.

1Writer
  4. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

You and your family will be in my prayers. It sounds as if your Grampa, indeed, has been very blessed in life with such a wonderful, large, loving family. I just lost a dear, elderly friend in June of this year to cancer. He spent his last month at a hospice, that was wonderful. They keep him comfortable and pain free, but as important, it was not a clinical, hospital, atmosphere. He was given a CD player so he could listen to the music he so loved. His room was so homey, and comfortable. The staff was exceptional. There were no set visiting hours--family and friends were encouraged to be involved.
    I am sorry you are going through this during the holidays. Please do remember, to take time, to care for yourself, as this is such a stressful time.
    Best wishes,
    Karen
  5. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Annette2
  6. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I`m going through the same thing this week. I sympathize
    with you. My uncle just died Sunday morning of cancer.
    He is my mom`s twin brother and they were very close so it
    will be very hard for her to lose him.

He was doing better lately and we really thought he would make it past Xmas and New Years but he took a turn for the
    worse and passed on.

Our funeral is Saturday so we`ll have a few days between the funeral and Christmas. It makes you wander why though
    this has to happen during the Holidays. That makes it even tougher on the loved ones.

My thoughts and prayers to you and your family.
  7. ohmyaching

ohmyaching New Member

Sending up prayers that God will be with you at this trying time. Sounds like things are pretty stressful. Take it easy and take care. Peace.
  8. joannie1

joannie1 New Member

I want to sincerely thank all of you for your prayers and your kind words of reply. It truly means so much to have so many people you can reach out to here.
    Sandy, i am "so very sorry" to hear about your Uncle. It is so heart breaking to lose loved ones and especially during the holidays. It is so hard in our family. We are a very large family obviously and we have only lost a couple of people. So, in times like these they seem so unbearable. None of us know how to take it actually.
    I thank you all with all of my heart for the prayers and the kindness you have given me.
    Love,
    Joannie
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

My prayers are with you this Christmas. My cousin is in Hospice with failing kidneys and isn't expected to live long. We just lost my Mom in July, and my daughter just lost her old dog. It has been a rough year for us all around. I understand how hard it can be. Bless you and your family.

Love, Mikie
  10. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I am sorry you are going through this with your family, and especially at Christmas. I just wanted to say, though, that you all have made a wise decision to use Hospice care; I have a number of friends who have used hospice services for a loved one who was terminally ill, and no matter where they were located, couldn't say enough good things about the program and the hospice caregivers; many said they could not have gotten through those last weeks, days & hours without the incredible hospice providers. I have personally never had need for their services in my family yet, but I have always donated (in my friends' relative's name) to hospice, knowing what a help it was & how grateful my friends were. I think you will find it a great comfort in your Grandpa's last days. I will be praying for your family, too.

Supportive Hugs,
    Pam