Sooo Helpful

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by xanderlee, Sep 23, 2002.

1. xanderlee

xanderlee New Member

This is such a great site...I have been diagnosed for 4 weeks, and am amazed at the attitude to CFS in the UK...When it was thought I had MS, everyone rushed around to be helpful, now it is CFS there is no one to be seen...Same symptons, weakness so bad that I cannot walk some days, and today my fingers went...temporary paralysis it may be but with three chidren, the youngest two...it is no joke. Even medical staff have just 'ok fine, CFS, arent we clever for diagnosing so early...now go away'. I have been told nothing about the illness, and am amazed at how it has affected me mentally! I thought I wa becoming useless, a wreck who can do little around the house, and cannot even drive her children out...now I know it isnt just me, it is part of the illness, it is an illness...(God bless UK tabloid press for 'yuppie' flu...)and I am not a psycohotic or hyperchondriac house wife... Thank you for helping me to come to terms with this and for all the helpful info...
    gaynor
  2. xanderlee

xanderlee New Member

This is such a great site...I have been diagnosed for 4 weeks, and am amazed at the attitude to CFS in the UK...When it was thought I had MS, everyone rushed around to be helpful, now it is CFS there is no one to be seen...Same symptons, weakness so bad that I cannot walk some days, and today my fingers went...temporary paralysis it may be but with three chidren, the youngest two...it is no joke. Even medical staff have just 'ok fine, CFS, arent we clever for diagnosing so early...now go away'. I have been told nothing about the illness, and am amazed at how it has affected me mentally! I thought I wa becoming useless, a wreck who can do little around the house, and cannot even drive her children out...now I know it isnt just me, it is part of the illness, it is an illness...(God bless UK tabloid press for 'yuppie' flu...)and I am not a psycohotic or hyperchondriac house wife... Thank you for helping me to come to terms with this and for all the helpful info...
    gaynor
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Sometimes just finding that you are not alone is helpful. It is also good to find a place where your illness is taken seriously. There is a lot of info available here. Try our library; it has a search function. Dr. Cheney, whose articles are in the library, is one of the foremost experts in CFS. He has been a tremendous help to me through his articles. Welcome aboard.

Love, Mikie
  4. GILL

GILL New Member

I also live in UK. I have had CFS for 5 years and after being diagnosed got no help at all. We have 2 drs in our practise and 1 doesnt even believe in it! Support from people was varied, those who knew me well fully believed but lots of Not so close friends vere unsupportive. Only just found this board but i think its brilliant!!

Take care

Gill
  5. ohmyaching

ohmyaching New Member

You've described so beautifully what happens with CFS. The medical system is right ready to help as long as it's something else, but tell them you think it's CFS and they not only ignore you, but they slam the door in your face. There's a complete refusal by so many doctors here (US) to address the problem. I don't get it either. Do you think that because there is NO established method of treatment by the medical association the doctors are afraid of venturing out on their own for fear of being held liable for any treatment unsanctioned by the medical association? If so then we need to bring pressure to get some model form of treatment that every doctor can follow.