Soooooo tired...how to deal?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by laurakay, Jan 28, 2003.

1. laurakay

laurakay New Member

How does everyone deal with the fatigue? I have found myself feeling so tired over the last few weeks that I have had to go to bed by 8:00 and can hardly keep my eyes open at work. I work all day and have a two year old and I can't really take a nap anywhere in my day. Cappuccino helps for a few hours, but I don't like the idea of using that all of the time, (plus it hurts my bladder!)

Does anyone have any advice for coping with fatigue?

Laura
  2. desertlily

desertlily New Member

I've been dealing with CFS/FM for two years now, and for the first year I was working full-time as an L&D nurse. I didn't know what was wrong with me, so I kept pushing myself to do all the things that I could before. The only problem was that my body wouldn't let me!! I would crash on my days off and barely make it through my shifts (in fact, I don't really know how I did it) But eventually I started making mistakes that I never would have before and emotionally I was a wreck from trying to keep going while feeling so sick. I finally listened to my body and realized that I had to let it go and take care of myself, so I quit (actually, my husband almost demanded that I quit!) and we're dealing with that financially as best we can.

My point is in all of this, if you keep pushing yourself, you're liable to crash and burn because after awhile your body just can't take it anymore. I heard someone describe our energy as like a bank account - you can keep taking money out, but if you don't put any back in, eventually you're going to be overdrawn - and these illnesses can be very unforgiving.

So, if at all possible, if you can make even some small changes that would allow you to rest more, it would help. It's hard, but you do need to make your health a priority. After all, if you take care of yourself, then you're better able to take care of your family. But, if you keep pushing yourself, then you will end up not being able to do anything.

Hope this helps some!
  3. laurakay

laurakay New Member

...I can't quit my job. My husband is a teacher and anyone who has experience with that salary knows that it doesn't pay the bills (ever tried to live on $1200/month take home pay?) I can't hire someone to clean my house (too expensive). I already have someone watching my daughter while I'm at work, and I want to spend as much time with her in the evening as possible. The result of all of this is that on the weekend and at work I am struggling to stay awake.

Has anyone had any luck with changing diet and/or supplements in terms of having more energy?

Laura
  4. debbiem31

debbiem31 New Member

I'm sorry I can't give you much advice. I'm always tired, no matter how much sleep I get. I guess part of that is because I don't sleep well (always in pain) and never get to stage 4 sleep. I have ordered some SAM-E, and should be getting it very soon. It's supposed to help fatigue and depression as well. It's highly recommended for FM patients. I hope it works, cuz I never seem to get anything done while I'm so fatigued. I don't have any motivation left and it's all I can do just to take care of my son all day.
    I'll let you all know if the SAM-E does any good...

LOL, Debbie
  5. Kimba

Kimba New Member

My doctor put me on two antidepressants. I take effexor at night and take wellbutrin in the morning. I am still tired but I don't have the bone tiredness that I used to have.

I don't know if it is something for you, but you might want to ask about it. The fatigue can come from a lack for seratoine (sp) or dopamine
  6. Fireball

Fireball New Member

Hi Laura,
    I too wish that I had a magic wand to make the fatigue and pain go away. I can't quit work either and I have found that when I get home I have to prioritize what is important and stick with those activities. Usually for me that means,
    getting dinner and a few other necessary things like paying bills. I only occasionally go places in the evenings--very few meetings etc. and I am usually asleep before 8:00 p.m.
    I usually do not sleep through the night so sometimes I am up reading or doing computer. On the weekends, I play catch up but even then I restrict my activities and my husband (who also is a teacher) helps clean most of the house. On the weekends, I always take the time for naps!!!

I don't take a lot of prescription meds as I cannot find anything for the pain that doesn't make me more tired. I have started to exercise but I have to do it in the very early morning before I go to work. Hope this helps.
  7. coyote

coyote New Member

my doctor told me to rest an hour and a half every day. If I don't do that, I KNOW it.
    It's important to get your sleep at night.
    I noticed in the "STORE" on this site, you can look up supplements that can give you energy.
    I'm with you. I've been more fatigued this past week than ever before. We are having a long coooooooold streak, and I'm wondering if that is effecting the way I feel. I don't even want to go out. I would just as soon stay in the house till June.......
  8. karen55

karen55 New Member

First of all, the cappuccino is probably doing you more harm than good. Once the caffeine rush is over, you crash and you are more tired. Maybe you aren't getting quality REM sleep - that's the problem I have had for many years. I wake up constantly during the night and when I get up in the morning I feel like I haven't slept. I'm taking meds at night to help me sleep.

If you have a history of depression, that could be adding to your fatigue problem.

Maybe it's time for a good physical checkup with your doc. A different anti depressant may help you too. Good luck.

Karen
  9. catgal

catgal New Member

Hi Laura~~I also have to work as I am my sole financial support. I have FM/CFS, IBS, degenerative disc disease, nerve damage from neck to feet, osteo/psoriatic/rheumatoid arthritis, asthma and allergies. When I worked full time, I was so exhausted, yet had all of life's chores and responsibilities to take care of myself. By pushing myself so hard to do it all, I was forced by my illnesses in 1993 to resign from my high paying job with great benefits to go to work part-time (3 days a week) with a serious cut in pay, lifestyle, and NO benefits.

This drastic economic change took alot of adjustment and sacrifice, but at least I had time in my life to rest and take better care of myself.

Three years ago, I started taking the vitamin Enada (NADH) for the CFS. I took 10mgs first thing in the morning on an empty stomach chased by a bottle of water. It is important to get it out of the stomach as soon as possible before the stomach acids eat it up. The first 7 days I saw no change. On the 8th day--it was like a Miracle happened! My mind cleared, and I could hold concentration; my mental and emotional attitude became increasingly positive; that feeling of doom & gloom that hung over me was gone; and for the first time in decades--I had energy! I became fast and efficient at work and life again. And the longer I took it--the more energy I had and the better I felt. By the 2nd year, I only had to take it 3 times a week to get the same affect, and by the 3rd year now--I only take it twice a week and get the same results. Though medications, vitamins, herbs, etc. work differently for people--NADH (which you can buy at the best price on this site) literally worked a Miracle for me.

At work, I prioritize my to-do list; I rest at noon, or take a walk, or listen to relaxation tapes, or soothing music.

In the evenings, I have certain days that I do different chores so that everything doesn't gang up on me at once.

At night, I take .5mg klonopin for rest, muscle relaxation, and restless legs. This helped me to finally get quality sleep. And when I wake up in the mornings, I am not nearly as stiff, sore, or tired.

On weekends, I carve out time for rest and naps. There is just no substitute for rest.

With working and having CFS, you have to find ways to rearrange your life to take care of yourself or the CFS will eventually rearrange it for you. Make a list of things you can do for yourself; carve out time to rest--not just sleep. Eat healthy. Reduce stressors as much as possible. Delegate chores to your family. And see a physician about something to help you get quality sleep--or an anti-depressant if depression is a problem for you.

Be creative in learning how to take care of yourself, and learn to ask for help. Blessings to you, Carol...

10. Chrissy2

Chrissy2 New Member

Hi to Laura and the rest of us tired folks!

I can so relate! The fatigue is the worst part of this disease for me. Before I was diagnosed, I couldn't understand why I would need to sometimes pull over on the way home from work to nap for a while. Sometimes I feel like doing that on the way to work, after I've only been up one hour! During the summer months, I sometimes drove to a nearby park during my lunch break, locked the doors, and napped. My husband hates that - says it's too dangerous. He suggested napping in the parking lot at work, where it's safer. But I just feel so goofy about doing that. I may try looking for an office area that is empty and bring a sleeping bag. Sounds funny, huh? I really think naps are SO helpful, it's just hard to find time to fit them in during the week.

I work full time, and am the sole bread winner in the family. I cannot cut back on my hours, so I have also been looking for ways to get the other tasks of life done, and still have time for my daughter and husband. It's really hard some days.

About the caffeine thing---I know it makes FM worse, but when you're ready to fall asleep at your desk and you know the caffeine will help for a while, you just do it because you have to. I drink about 4 cups a day (awful I know!). However, I also take some energy supplements from my chiro, which REALLY help (I'm out of them now and haven't had time to get more, but will soon). My goal is to keep cutting back on the coffee down to one cup a day. It's hard--it's a habit that I "thought" had kept me going for many years.

I know that I have to take responsibility for some of the factors that increase my symptoms, including this awful fatigue. I have an AWFUL sugar habit, and I am fighting a binge eating habit. I am 70 pounds overweight. All these things are within my control. With the help of my Lord, I can have victory over these issues.

Thanks for listening -- I'll be praying for us today :eek:)

-Chrissy

11. laurakay

laurakay New Member

for your ideas, advice, and compassion. I am going to talk to my doctor about all of it...again... and maybe find a new doctor who might have better ideas. I know that things could be worse and I will have good days and bad days. Now if I can just convince my husband that we need to move somewhere warm and sunny..... ! :)
    Laura