Sore nose caused by FM???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TerryS, Feb 26, 2007.

1. TerryS

TerryS Member

Hi Everybody!

When I went to blow my nose this evening, I discovered it was incredibly sore...felt broken on one side at the opening of the nostril. My hubby took a look and couldn't see a thing.

Has anyone ever had FM cause pain in the tissues of their nose?

TerryS
  2. Amethyst77

Amethyst77 New Member

Hi Terry,

I have had sores inside my nose for months now, I never had the problem before.

I do know it can be a sign of lupus so I am assuming that your doctor has ran test to eliminate that as a possibility.

I have been checked and don't have lupus, so I am guessing it is with either the fibro or the CFS

if the tissues are dry, vasiline on the end of a q-tip brings fast relief.

I have also been applying peroxide with a q-tip to the sore places in my nose.

not sure it helped but this is all the experience I have on it.

best wishes to you

Tammy
  3. TerryS

TerryS Member

Hi Tammy:

Thanks for your reply.

I actually don't have any signs of a sore in my nose. It feels like the bone is bruised or broken. It's interesting that you mentioned lupus. I have a lot of the signs and symptoms of lupus, but, other than a positive ANA, the other blood work specific to lupus is negative. My rheumy is not a huge fan of trusting the labs and told me that it is quite likely that my lupus labs will show up positive eventually.

I'm seeing him on Friday and I'll have him check out my nose. Just thought it was strange that it was so sore but yet there was no sign of a lesion inside my nose.

TerryS
  4. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Terry,

The end of my nose hurt for months! Everytime my husband kissed me and bumped the end of it it hurt!

No sores, no bruises, nothing visual, just really sore like it was broken but since it was the end of my nose where there was no bone or cartilage I knew it couldn't be that.

After about 4 months of it the end of my nose started turning red and looked like a huge pimple was coming up. It got even more sore. I was sure I was gonna look like Rudolph!

After two days of looking red, but not bad, it just started fading away and the soreness is gone. Even the bruised broken feeling is gone.

I guess it was something deep in the tissue that just took a long time to resolve.

That wasn't much help but I am watching to see if you get any other response that might explain mine, too.

Hugzz
    Greenbean
  5. TerryS

TerryS Member

Holy Cow!!! That's weird. I hope my nose doesn't hurt for months! Seems like almost every week or so there's a new pain or symptom to deal with!

Maybe someone else has an explanation...we'll see!

TerryS
  6. TerryS

TerryS Member

So, if I remember correctly, you're saying that you actually had some blisters and that it stopped after you started Valtrex...is that right? Do you think it was a form of a herpes virus in you?

This isn't that big of a deal to me...just really bad sore when I try to blow my nose. Feels like there is a sore there, but nothing right now. Something may show up in a day or so. I seem my rheumy this Friday and I'll have him check it out.

Thanks,
    TerryS
  7. Shalala

Shalala New Member

I got some nose sores like someone else mentioned. Haven't had any in a while (knock on wood).
  8. findmind

findmind New Member

Thought I could save you some money by not going to your dr. about sores in your nose, LOL.

I have just one, but it has been there for years...about 3...

Went to ENT, she scoped it (I told her I had heard EBV can cause nose and/or throat cancer, and was worried).

She said these are "common", nothing to be afraid of, definitely not cancer. So I just ignore it as much as possible. It never never heals!

Drives me nuts sometimes.

There's always hope!
    findmind
  9. TerryS

TerryS Member

You're kidding, right? You've had a sore for THREE YEARS! That's just not right. I think that docs tell us "it's nothing" when they have no idea what to do about it.

Sorry about your sore...have you tried "willing it away"??? I've done that with fever blisters before...the tingling would start and I would just imagine in my mind that the fever blister would not erupt and would go away...and it did!!! I've done that multiple times. (Please don't think I'm a lunatic!)

TerryS
  10. Amethyst77

Amethyst77 New Member

found what you wrote, 3 years, ouchies.... and yes it is very bothersome and doesn't go away :(

Thankyou very much for sharing the information with me

(((hugsssss))))

still amazed at all the similarities in so many people and just how this stuff effects I think every single part of you inside and out all most.

Tammy

I posted a picture of my sore lol, where ever the icon is located on this message, sorry I love to try and make people laugh its the best medicine I have found so far :)
  11. findmind

findmind New Member

Not to be alarmed, dear terrys...

She offered to biopsy it, but was so reassuring, even gave me the name of they type of sore, and a lecture on how common they are, etc...

Believe me, as a 2x cancer survivor, if I had any doubt, I'd have had the biopsy done. She said if I get re-worried about it, I could come back.

Ok, that settled me..

findmind
  12. findmind

findmind New Member

Sure didn't find a pic of your nose sore under your profile (that's where pics end up), LOL.

But did see you're from KY. My mom and dad were from Bowling Green. I learned how to swim at the U there! All the Millers (tons of them) lived there at one time.

Hope you are having a better than expected day, considering the storms that blew through there recently!

findmind
  13. TerryS

TerryS Member

In my case, I think I may have figured out why my nose is sore at the entrance to my right nostril.

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea on 1/2/2007. I've been using a CPAP machine since; however, sometime during the night, I always end up tossing the mask off.

Well, the last few nights I have actually managed to wear it all night. I tend to lie on my right side. Where the soreness is just happens to be where the nose piece touches my nose. I put 2 and 2 together this morning when I went to take off the mask. It hurt that spot as I took the mask off. It makes sense to me because that's the side I tend to lie on most of the night.

So, I think it's just a pressure soreness from wearing the mask for so many hours and it will probably resolve pretty quickly. If it doesn't resolve within the next two weeks, I'll let everyone know.

TerryS
  14. Hootie1

Hootie1 New Member

Oh, good!! I love when that happens- a simple solution. :) Doesn't happen often.

Incidentally, I used a cpap for 2 years a while back. In November 2005, I got the surgery and actually threw it away yesterday, as it was collected dust in the closet. Just fyi- I'm glad I did the surgery!
  15. TerryS

TerryS Member

I tried to reply once and somehow it disappeared!!! I'll try again:

Good for you! I'm glad you were able to get rid of the CPAP.

My rheumy kept insisting that I must have sleep apnea because I sleep anywhere from 10 to 14 hours per day!!! So, I finally gave in and had the sleep study done. I was SHOCKED to find out that I really did have it. It seems that mine is very mild, but apparently I have been SNORING. I don't mind wearing the mask, and at least I'm not waking up my hubby now.

My hubby, on the other hand, has a serious sleep apnea problem. I've been telling him that for years. He's finally going next month to get a physical and is going to talk to his doc about doing a sleep study. I told him we'll just have matching machines and masks...what a funny looking couple we'll be!!! As far as surgery goes, my hubby really ought to consider it because he, like I said, has a SERIOUS problem. He stops breathing over and over every night, plus he shakes his darn legs over and over and over...drives me crazy. The whole bed is shaking!

TerryS
  16. last week i noticed that inside my nose felt very sore,and it also felt like a pulsating pain,sort of throbbing and extremely painful.

this morning i got that very nasty taste in my mouth,that ive always thought might be conected to oral thrush.but my tongue isnt coated white.so i blew my nose this morning,and after wards,that horrible tasteing liquid went away.

i do feel that im allergic to soil,and as im a evening cleaner.i think maybe that white crusty discharge that i get on the outside of my nasal passage,is probably a reaction to the soil particles that i sweep up at work.

so im thinking that maybe that horrible tasting fluid might be due to soil allergy in my case.some sort of nasal inflamation.

kind regards

fran
  17. Amethyst77

Amethyst77 New Member

Bowling Green isn't far from me at all, so I think that is kind of neat (do you ever go there?)

and one of my best friends last name was miller.

Terrys, have you saw the post with all of the symptoms listed for both FM and CFS, believe it or not its on it! you might want to find that post and print it out to keep, I am going to do that and use it to update the doctor every time I see him on any changes.

take care friends! (((((HuGssss))))
  18. TerryS

TerryS Member

Thanks for the info. I took a list for mitral valve prolapse syndrome (I have MVP) in once to my EX-PCP and he totally blew me off. But my new PCP is much more agreeable. Maybe I'll take some lists in to him!!!

Thanks,
    TerryS
  19. Islebabe

Islebabe New Member

I tested a positive ANA in 1998 and my Doc thought Lupus, but then the Rheumie didn't find anything, you know why? Cuz it was CFS/ME and there is no test to show that unless you spend alot of money and send off your samples to a special lab. Yes and I have had sores in nose in mouth and on outside of face since Sept.06. In case anyone needs to know that. LOL! Blessings~~Islebabe