sore scalp/head.hurts when move hair..anyone else?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kirsty28, Nov 10, 2005.

1. kirsty28

kirsty28 New Member

i get this symptom and usually then breaks out into a few days of face/head pain...i had been feeling so good too..always makes me dissapointed..
    anyway, under my scalp is pain,,,all over at mo but can be patches...when i move my hair (long hair) from side to side or try to massage the pain it feels like when you have pulled your hair tight but 100 times more sore!
    like all the nerve ending under every strand of hair are inflamed...when i don't touch my head there is still the horrible pain there...then it will go just like it came..
    any one know of any trigger points that cause the pain on head/scalp? or why this happens????

thankyou from the u.k
  2. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

It feels like my "hair hurts" is what I tell my dr. He can't really explain why it happens - there is not a trigger point point there.

It is weird though. It should not hurt to run your fingers through your hair!

3. adberens

adberens New Member

When I was first sick, I could hardly stand to brush my hair it hurt so bad. A ponytail was out of the question.

At that time I was looking for a doctor. Being sick with no test that proved it was bad enough but the look the doctors gave me when I said my hair hurt put me over the edge. After a couple of years it went away.

Hope your pain goes away too.

4. orachel

orachel New Member

Goodness forbid my husband brush my hair away from my face...the follicles on top of my head feel like hot incredibly sore! I just about jump out of my seat! LOL

Worst ever, though, was when I had to go to my sleep study, and they had to RAKE the top of my head with a comb of steel, then blow incredibly pressurized air on me...then gather chunks of hair in weird positions to use superglue to glue great large electrodes to my soft poor ouchy head! Man...I had a migraine for 3 days after that!

They called me a few days ago and said that I had to go back and get a CPAP machine and spend another night. I told the tech I couldn't believe they were sticking me back in the torture chamber!

But oh well...maybe it will make me feel better. I guess that's worth the torture!

I've even taken to wearing my hubby's baseball caps with hair out back through hole, as its autumn in ohio, and even the WIND blowing over my head hurts sometimes! LOL
  5. teacher

teacher New Member

I'm African-American with hair almost to my elbows. Talk about heavy hair!

In the early stages, my hair hurt like crazy! Couldn't stand to comb it, wear it up or down. Could hardly stand to wear clothes either. Skin hurt all over. Nightwear was bad. Daytime attire was pure torture (think bras)!

Don't know why it disappered just thankful it did! :)

Are you into essential oils? If so, try rubbing some lavendar oil on your scalp. You can use 2 or 3 drops. Put it on your fingertips and gently massage your scalp. Lavender is a soother and just might help.

I've also learned that I can't wear my hair up everyday anymore. The weight is too much. Am playing with snoods right now. The hair is not up but is kept in place neatly out of my face.

Also gone to plastic and cloth hair accesories (sp?). I found that the metals in the barretts and hair pins caused major burning areas. Tea tree oil helped with that problem.

I hope this disappears for you like it did for me. I remember well and it wasn't pretty.

6. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

I know exactly what you are talking about! It's a horrible feeling, are your scalp also red and hot?
    It looks like I've got permanent sunburn on my scalp.

Here's something you could try, instead of conditioner I rub Elizabeth Anne's Baby shampoo into my scalp, sometimes I add a few drops of tea tree oil, that is the only thing that gives me some relief.

A naturopath once told me that it could be a symptom of candida, maybe you should get that checked out as well!

7. lmmillion

lmmillion New Member

and I don't think anyone really understands how my hair can hurt!! I've only had a few episodes of this, but when it happens, it does feel like every nerve on my head is exposed. I totally sympathize with you and know what you are feeling. When I had my very worst flare-up this summer, I could not wash my hair for almost a week because just the stream of water about sent me through the roof.
  8. auntcon

auntcon New Member

My head feels like I have paper cuts or (can't remember how to spell boils ? right? anyway or i like that cigar statement. I've gone through that thing where your skin hurts too.

My pain Dr wasn't surprised when I told him my head hurt. I showed him the areas and he said he would give me shots there if I needed them. After he did the shots in my back they weren't as bad.

We had a lady come to show us self massage and she started at the top of the head and made small circles all over your scalp. She massaged her face every area in small circles or pulling on the skin. (like the eye brows -- said that's where a lot of her pain was)

Also, I read where PULLING on your hair will release some tension.

I've tried both and do get some relief

I also try to keep my hair (VERY thick) thinned out and shoulder length.

9. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

I have had that all my life, if I wear my hair up, and then try to comb it back down, It hurts like, you know what.

I really didn't believe that I had, FMS/CMPD when I was first dx. Back in 2000.
    Then when I was reading Dr. Starlanyls book, and came across this, under the SCM trigger point, I knew, the Dr.s had finally figured out what was wrong with me.

Having the Combo of FMS & CMPD, makes life, rough, to say the least, but I finally know, what cause's that gosh darn HAIR Pain, lol.

You can check out the other Symptoms that are caused by Trigger Points, like the Sternmocleidomastoid (SCM) Trigger point , there are quite a few things, that this affect's. Besides the Scalp Pain;

Like Chronic dry cough, trouble glancing down, looking down causes me to become dizzy.
    Deep Ear pain, which is complacted by my having Mastoiditis Infections.

Does the Tip of your chin hurt too, or your throat ache but your not sick?
    IT's the SCM's at work.

You might want to check out the Chronic Myofasical Pain Disorder, a lot of folks have these symptoms but blame it all on FMS, because they have not been dx with the CMPD.

I tell you having both Syndromes, is a real challenge, grr! but if you can figure out, which Trigger is causing the Symptoms, and treat that TrP, it will reduce the Pain.

Bet that was as clear as Mud huh? ;o]

10. kirsty28

kirsty28 New Member

thanks to all that have repied about the scalp pain, it is better the aching back is back!
    anyway i always feel better knowing i am not alone with all these problems...i always get replies...thanks a bunch from the u.k......
  11. Empower

Empower New Member

I get this too, makes it hard for me to brush my hair at times

My mother has polymyalgia rheumatica and I believe I read somewhere that sore scalp is a symptom of this, or it's companion disease temporal arteritis. I often wonder if I have PR, since our symptoms are similiar.

I think alot of us see Rheumatologists and they would certainly be able to diagnose if this problem is caused by polymyalgia not fibro

With polymyalgia, you usually get a fever when you are in a flair though
  12. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

I do see a Rhuemotoligst, and when I asked her about it, on the 2nd visit, I thought at first she was kidding.
    It's a fine line between other Condition's, when we share so many Symptoms with them.

The main thing to keep in mind with FMS, is that it Mimics other Condition's. So you have rule other Symptoms out in order to know for sure what is causing the Pain, etc.

I go through a lot of Blood Test's, every 3 months, and so far, I have OA and not the other Arthritis condition's, so far, knock on wood, and all that. ;o)

I have also asked, to have a lot of other Tests run to rule out other thing's, that I found on the Internet, with similiar symptoms.
    Like Lupus and RA, also Ankloysing Spondilitis, like my Brother has, it's Arthritis of the Spine where you fuse togeather.
    Yep, I had my Poor Dr. running tests for this and for that, and so far, it keeps coming back as FMS/CMPD or one of my other Co-exisiting condition's.

Bummer. I keep Hoping, there's something that a Pill or Operation , etc, would fix.
    Don't We All,

Glad your feeling better on the Head, but sorry , for the Pain in your Back. like if it can't hurt in one place,, it'll do it in another.

Have a good day, and hope it's as Painfree as possible.

13. Alyssa-Admin

Alyssa-Admin Active Member

I was also going to mention CMP - and Devin Starlanyl's book - Fibro and me it all makes sense - we have trigger points all over our body. However...many of us also have allodynia, which is a sensitivity to the touch ....and can be anywhere. Including the scalp. I agree in regards to choosing comfortable accessories in regards to long hair - metal products and even putting your hair in a ponytail can be very painful....Not sure I can add much else other than what was already suggested....A.x
  14. Zeedra

Zeedra Member

I've never heard of anybody, in my whole life, whose head/scalp hurt on windy days and where I live we have a lot of windy days. I almost thought it had more to do with the summer (I don't like heat and humidity) but now I think that I cover my head in winter. Now I cover my head almost all year round. I've had people snicker when I mentioned this and one cousin thought I should donate my brain to science because of the weird things I say, ie, no sympathy. I'm so happy to hear on this site that others are experiencing the same thing. My doctor, as sweet as she is, was no help.