sore scalp?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Skelly, Aug 28, 2002.

1. Skelly

Skelly New Member

Hi from the UK! I was wondering if anybody with CFS/ME had ever experienced an extremely sore or tender scalp related to their illness? I am a mid-thirties female who has been ill four years quite severely. At certain times of my cycle I have such a sore scalp that I can't even lie on it in certain positions, let alone wash that part of my head. Every doctor I have told about this condition has shrugged their shoulders - surprise, surprise! Would be interested to hear any other accounts of this. Thanks.
  2. Skelly

Skelly New Member

Hi from the UK! I was wondering if anybody with CFS/ME had ever experienced an extremely sore or tender scalp related to their illness? I am a mid-thirties female who has been ill four years quite severely. At certain times of my cycle I have such a sore scalp that I can't even lie on it in certain positions, let alone wash that part of my head. Every doctor I have told about this condition has shrugged their shoulders - surprise, surprise! Would be interested to hear any other accounts of this. Thanks.
  3. Dara

Dara New Member

I have areas on my scalp that are extremely tender and sensitive. I have FM & Chronic Myofascial Pain. I remember reading in one of my books that this is a common complaint, I believe it has to do with the nerves in the scalp. There are days, like you, I can't even run a brush on that area. It is never the entire scalp, just a portion of it.

Dara
  4. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

The top of my scalp gets sore during flares. Sometimes the back of my skull gets tender between the back nodes. I believe this is tension stemming up from the neck. I tend to get a dull headache there. Anyway, my remedy is to wash my hair in warm water and then the hair dryer. The heat tends to soothe the soreness.
    Tania
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Skelly, glad you have join us on the board.

Yes, at times my scalp actually hurts. I have long hair, that most times I wear pulled back, braided or a french twist. But when my scalp is sore I have to just let it hang loose. Even a small band to hold it back or the braid itself will cause pain.

It only happens sometimes, like someone else said, I wash it in warm water and use a blow dryer on warm, that seems to help.

Have you ever had small crystal like particles in your hair? I wake up with them around my hair line and on my forehead sometimes. Thats when my scalp usually hurts.

Don't know what it is.

Again, welcome to the board.

Shalom, Shirl
  6. Skelly

Skelly New Member

Hi Dara! Thanks for answering my query. It's good to know after 4 years that I'm not alone! I was actually quite worried about it. Do you find it relates to times in your mentrual cycle? It's worst for me during PMS. Anyway, thanks again. tc, Skelly.
  7. Skelly

Skelly New Member

Hi TanyaF: thanks so much for replying to my query. It's good to know you're not alone in bizarre symptoms. Like you, I get it most sore at the back of my head to where you described. I can hardly touch it when I wash it. No doctor I've ever talked to has seemed concerned or interested. Well, maybe it's not dangerous then, but they should take our symptoms seriously which is sooooooooo frustrating! Anyway thank you. tc, Skelly.
  8. Skelly

Skelly New Member

Hi Shirl: thanks for your welcome, and for your sharing your own experience of this strange symptom. In answer to your question, I have never had crystal like particles in my scalp or anything like that. Just really tender points, and extreme pain even when touched very gently. I usually get it worst during PMS, so I'm thinking there's a hormonal connection somewhere. Don't know what though, and, surprisingly enough, neither does my doctor! Glad to be 'aboard'. Will visit again soon. tc, Skelly.
  9. nathan

nathan New Member

Yes, I will catch myself massaging my scalp in my sleep. Since the Fibro onset my dandruff is turned to psoriasis, my Dr. says there is a theory that dandruff or white flaky dried sebum is a neurotoxin byproduct that is excreted during certain phases. I notice a tender scalp, and extremely worsening psoriasis during my flare-ups. All I know is it looks like a snow storm on pillow when I don't wash my hair due to scalp soreness that leaves me skipping the hairwash during flareups. Good luck and Good thoughts; in trying times a little love is always good medicine. Love your way from my way, Cheers! Nathan
  10. brightlights

brightlights New Member

I get this every so often. I don't think mines is related to my cycle, as much as it is to my flares, but I will make sure to make note of that in my journal, so I can see if there's a correlation.

A few haircuts ago, I had this problem. I was in so much pain! First, I tried to lie my head in the sink, so that the pressure was on my lower neck, but my hairdresser kept trying to move me. I tried to explain to her that I was really sore, but I just don't think that people that don't have our condition really understand what we mean. She even tried to give me a massage as she washed my hair, thinking it would help! OUCH! I finally had to tell her to just leave my scalp alone. I even dried my own hair with her towels because each of her fingers pressing against my scalp really hurt!

Sandra
  11. pepper

pepper New Member

Hi, Skelly

I have tender places on my scalp that hurt badly when my hairdresser is drying my hair with the blow dryer on high. I get my hair done once a week because I cannot hold my arms up to blow it dry so this happens often.

We finally figured that it seems to be worse when my candida is worse, such as after a round of antibiotics. She can see red splotches on my scalp where I say it hurts and my CFS doc said he thought it was very likely yeast/fungus related.

Just a thought. Pepper
  12. teacher

teacher New Member

I'm glad you brought this up. I figured that is was just me.

I, too, have long hair. I used to wear a French braid all the time, but that got to be to heavy. I then got a big clip. Not a good thing on sore head days. Sometimes, even a bun anchored with chop sticks is too heavy! I have invested in 6 snoods. They keep my hair neat and I can tolerate the wieght of the elastic for the length of the school day. At 3:00, off it comes and it just hangs around the rest of the day.

I don't wash my hair every day (I'm Black). I have found, though, that most wash days at the beauty shop find me asleep under the dryer. Between the massage and the heat, I'm ready for bed when I leave!

I do have problems when I go to the shop for a relaxer. The chemicals used to straighten my hair zone me out for a couple of days!

teacher
  13. Lanie

Lanie New Member

Actually only the very top toward the back of my head, sometimes. It feels like each individual hair follicle hurts and feels pully.
    Lanie
  14. Skelly

Skelly New Member

Thank you all for your replies - it's reassuring to know others have the same symptom as I thought maybe it wasn't connected with the CFS/FM at all. Nathan: excess sebum sounds like a possibility which could also explain why it's connected with the female cycle. Like most, my hair is oilier during PMS when the symptom is also worse. Pepper: Candida/Yeast infection could tie in here too as my Candida is usually much worse with PMS. I've also just had a short course of antibiotics and noticed a worsening of the soreness/tenderness.

Generally I have noticed that washing and drying my hair helps too but maybe it isn't just down to warm water and the dryer but getting rid of the excess oil. The tenderness is worse when I've not washed my hair for a couple of days (due to fatigue).
    Thanks again.
    Skelly
    [This Message was Edited on 08/30/2002]
  15. nje

nje New Member

HI I READ ALL THE REPLIES AND NO ONE MENTIONED ANYTHING ABOUT THEIR SCALP ITCHING. SINCE I`VE HAD FIBRO,MY SCALP ITCHES A LOT, AND THEN I SCRATCH IT TILL ITS SORE. ALSO I`VE NOTICED MY ARMS AND LEGS ITCH AS WELL AT TIMES. ITS AGGRAVATING,HAVING TO GO AROUND CLAWING YOUR HEAD AND BODY ALL THE TIME.HOPE YOU FIND THE ANSWER YOU`RE LOOKING FAR. HANG IN THERE, NJE
  16. PMangels

PMangels New Member

In fact Iv'e had this problem for some years. It is sore to touch and will itch sometimes. I use a tar shampoo (Tegrin) recommended by a dermatologist. I've also been prescribed special shampoos and ointments you can only get with a prescription. That seems to help some. I will use it three times or so a week. When my scalp itches it drives me crazy. Not a pleasant feeling. My hair will also fall out a little more than usual. That's really all I've been able to do about it.

Arlene