[[[[ sore spots inside nostrils]]]]

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by MamaR, Feb 13, 2006.

1. MamaR

MamaR New Member

Does anyone get sore spots inside the nose? It takes forever to heal and is so tender.

I have had this off and on for years.

I sometimes have sores inside my mouth ....but that isn't as bad as it was at one time.
  2. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

...brain fog, just lost last part of the name. Be very careful with them. Threy can be a mild(if there is such a thing) staph, and they need antibiotic ointment, and if this does not work, oral.

They can spread into sinus cavity and back to brain, so please don't take this lightly.

Another cause is of course having dry nasal passages, and saline spray three or four times a day can help this,

Anne
  3. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I get them more in the winter when there are viruses around. I guess the dry air contributes too. Thanks for the warning Cromwell. Perhaps I should be more careful.

Kathy.
  4. MamaR

MamaR New Member

for info. I will try the saline spray and see if it helps. The other sounds bad. If they don't heal soon...then I will contact the doc.

Thanks again.....Mari
  5. sabs

sabs New Member

from time to time. I use antibiotic ointment applied with a q-tip and they go away.
  6. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

This is the first post I have seen on this, and just yesterday am, I was wondering if this was another one of thoes weird Symptoms.

I get on on the left nostril, it hurts, and on the outside of the nose, I noticed, I get a small Red spot. It goes away when the Inside sore goes away.

I have Mastoiditis, which mean's constant Sinus problems.
    I thought this was happening, due to the dripping,runny nose I get, and then when I sleep, (what little I sleep) I wake us with it all dried out. Crusty and hurtn.

I guess I need to get back on my Z-Pac, I haven't been taking them, with this current infection, get tired of pills, but I see, now that it could be from the Mastoid infection and not just FMS.

I'd due for my check up with the ENT Dr. too.
    Rat's.

Thanks for bringing this up, it helps to answer my wondering about this stupid Sore.

Have a Sunshine Day,
    sharonk
  7. tandy

tandy New Member

Not all the time but way to frequent.
    My Mom gets them also,..and she has FM.

I use warm salt water to speed up the healing.
    They hurt like heck and take forever to go away.

Its like a big scab inside your nose but it hurts like a cut. (kinda like an ulcer or canker sore inside your nose! yuk!)

8. MamaR

MamaR New Member

Sabs.....I will try the antibiotic ointment...thanks. I didn't think to use it...great idea!

Bruin......The same here....the red sore spot on outside and then it starts on the inside. I have sinus problems and that could be my problem. I don't feel like a wierd one now that I know that I am not alone! Thanks for the info.

Tandy....mine does the same as yours...it is SO painful!

Thanks all!

Mari

[This Message was Edited on 02/14/2006]
  9. MamaR

MamaR New Member

I don't remember that post! I feel so medically dumb sometimes.

What is the z-pak? Also, the tube type abx?

Mari
  10. wyattsmom

wyattsmom New Member

You should probably have it looked at? I had them in my nose which caused tumors. I had to have sinus surgery to remove them and believe me it was no fun!! Good luck! I'm sending positive vibes your way!!!
    HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY everyone!!!
  11. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

This is wild that someone posted on this.I was just wondering what could be causing this sore to develop in my nose.It has hurt but not too bad.It is getting better.Glad this was posted.Gives me more information to think about.
    Sheila
  12. justlooking

justlooking New Member

I recently got a cold sore type sore on the outside nostil, it is healing though. I put hydrogen peroxide and Neosporin on it.

But I also have sores inside my nose that I just can't get to heal. The dryness (in So Cal) makes it worse. I've discusse it with 2 different Drs and no one seems concerned. One told me to use Saline, didn't help the sores but did with the dryness. I did try vaseline on them but it gave me a whopper headache!!

Is it ok to use neosporin INSIDE your nose? If so I'll try it because I'm desperate. They are getting worse and even though peroxide and water mixture cleans them up they just never heal...

I'm so embarrassed to tell anyone about this! Makes me feel like people will think I'm a nose picker LOL

JL
  13. SPR30

SPR30 New Member

I see that there is alot of feedback for this, but still would like to share what I know.
    Some types of sores and infections in the nose can be serious. Antihistamines and some sleep (or ---PM) meds can cause nasal dryness and irritation. (Many meds labeled as "PM" contain nothing more than antihistamines/cold meds).
    This gives me bad restless leg...and my son gets dry nose and nosebleeds when he tries to take may cold/allergy meds.
    Back to the subject...for people who get cold sores/fever blisters (seems to happen alot among people with chronic fatigue and such)frequently they can spread (they are most contagious during the water blister stage prior to scabbing over). I often get them in my nose and have had outbreaks on my fingers and thumbs...the cold sore/fever blister causing virus is herpes simplex...not in any way related to genital herpes.
    This can breakout with illness or stress and may be alleviated with OTC meds and oinments and lysine.
    I usually have one somewhere to varying degrees in size and much of the time they look like red cracks at the corners of my mouth....this can be helped sometimes with vitamin supplements, though mine have never completely ceased.
    {{{{{{{{HUGS))))))))))

[This Message was Edited on 02/14/2006]
  14. tandy

tandy New Member

when or if your nose sore gets scabbed over,..?
    use a Q-tip, or your finger if your not shy
    (oh who cares! lol)
    and I put a lil tiny bit of vaseline on it.
    Helps to soften/moisten it.
    I do this a few times a day~
    It does help :)

Hugs
    Tandy
  15. MamaR

MamaR New Member

I see that I am surely not alone here. I have read each post and some great advice.

They are really bothering me tonight. I will put some ointment or vaseline on it for sure again tonight. I try to keep it from getting dry. It burns really bad if it drys out!

I have been under alot of stress lately. I wonder if it could be affecting me this way.

I also take the P.M. meds sometimes to help stay asleep.

I just now know that it can be serious....and will watch it.

My hubby is here tonight...so gotta go!

See ya later.

Mari
  16. WoodstocksMusic

WoodstocksMusic New Member

I had a sore spot inside my nose a couple days ago now....winter time allergies and I was taking benedryl to stop the drainage during the night that was keeping me up with a cough...welp it dried my nose out and a couple days later I've got a bleeding nose from blowing it so much and it being dried out in the am's.... I take a vitamin E capsule and break it open and using cotton tip I swap my nose with it...gone the next morning....

I also use the same thing on my son's chapped lips. He is 9 years old and licks his lips at recess while out in the wind.... and comes home with a red ring around his lips and whining about it hurting.... I break open the old faithful vitamin E capsule and coat his lips and send him to bed and all is fine the next morning...

I use the vitamin E oil from the capsule when I get a cut and also for pimples that find my chin (I thot at 45 pimples were a thing of the past grrrrrr) But it only takes 1 or 2 nights to clear them forever with the vitamin E oil from the capsule.

It has turned into my miracle oil!
  17. JLH

JLH New Member

I also have these continuously. My rhuemy says they are from my lupus, which also causes sores in the mouth.

However, I don't think so.

Our house is dried out due to using a wood stove -- any my recliner is closest to the stove (in order to have the best TV spot in the house!).

I also sleep with a CPAP machine on -- all that air going down my nostrils to dry them out.

So I put a bit of Neosporin Antibodic Ointment on a Q-tip and dab on the inside of my nose before bed each night.

However, I blow my nose a dozen times a day and when wiping with the Kleenex, the scab in one nostril always comes off leaving an open sore every day.

I was glad to learn the info about infection going up into the brain -- I'll have to check into that more the next time that I am at the doctor -- and darn it! I just went to my PCP today!

Hugs,
    Janet
  18. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Once hubby has the console humidifier up and running, they go away. I usually use a vaseline type of ointment as other things never helped much.

My sores and tender spots (raw spots) was directly caused by the lack of humidity even though it was hard for me to believe, but I get it every single fall.

The sore spots in the mouth are called canker sores I think and I don't know what causes them. I get them too.

Hugs,
    Faye
  19. MamaR

MamaR New Member

Woodstock, Janet, and Faye....I do believe it could be a winter thing....dry air, etc.

I am seeing some improvement. I will continue to use ointment. The vitamin e...is good idea too.

Thanks!

Mari
  20. jake123

jake123 New Member

Everyone in Texas has these and everyone has to pick their nose :0D because of the dry air, heating in the winter and air conditioning in the summer.
    Texas has a state full of scabby noses all the time. Wish there was a cure. I use the saline spray. It is a life saver and it doesn't have any medicine in it so it is not habit forming like some nose sprays are.