Sore spots on chest anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Line, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Line

Line New Member

I have all these sore spots on my upper chest and sometimes in the breast, that I cannot even touch myself. They wax and wan thoughout the day and seems the more I move around the better they feel. I have been getting them for years but it seems like they are here to stay now. They are more above the breast into the shoulder and collarbone area. Sometimes I have severe neck, shoulder, upper back and arm pain with them and other times just the spots. Sometimes I do not even know they are there until I shower or touch one area other times they let me know they are there. The spots also seem to move. I have been dxed with costro.

Just posting to see if anyone else has this problem. Line
  2. Rose_Red

Rose_Red New Member

I've had it twice. I'm still recovering from the second bout. I don't know what caused it the first time but I went to the doc thinking I was having a heart attack it hurt so bad.

This time I was in a car wreck and actually ripped the cartilage off my ribs. This was 2 months ago and now it hurts as much as it did the 1st time.

I feel for you, honey. There's not much I can sugggest other than taking it easy and real gentle stretching just to help loosen up.

((((((((((((line))))))))))

At least cyber hugs don't hurt.
    -Michele
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

There are several tender spots on the chest area. These are only the "officially recognized" tender spots. We can have them just about anywhere.

Many of us suffer from Costo which can cause a lot of pain in the chest. This pain can radiate from the original inflammation and extend to the back, sides, and down the arms. Usually, with Costo, the pain is on one side, but it can be both. One way to find out is to feel along the breast bone at the edge where the ribs connect. If you find a spot so tender to pressure that you can barely stand it, it is likely Costo.

I have had mine treated with small injections of steroids and it clears it up until something infalmmatory, like bronchitis or pneumonia, makes it flare up again. Mine is always on the right side and the injection point is always in the same place.

Love, Mikie
  4. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I don't know what you call it but I have pain in the breast bone area above my breasts. Sometimes to the point where I can barely stand to wear a shirt. Then it goes away and I won't have it again for a month or so, then it's back.

You might say it's a real "pain"!

Hugss,
    Greenbean
  5. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

I have sore spots above my breasts - it goes from shoulder to shoulder - this is why the dr asked about FM. It is tender to push those tender points. I don't think it is abnormal with FM - they are two of the 18 trigger points used to diagnos from I read. It is a pain to have them flare - the area I have pain sounds like you - shoulder to shoulder, front & back.

I have started PT to have the trigger points worked out - ultra sound, moist heat & massage - seems to be helping:)

Kelly
  6. SingFMAway

SingFMAway New Member

Wow! I've been wondering about this kind of chest pain. It sometimes hurts to breath deeply, and I have a very tender spot (or two or three). I have similar pain on my side near my breast. I totally baffled my dr when I went in with excrutiating pain in my ribs. My rheumy was confused since my pain was mostly on my side and under my shoulder blade. I hadn't yet developed the pain on my chest. We tried all kinds of anti-inflammatories. They worked for a little while, but then stopped. Thankfully, the major flare-up passed, but I still have the localized pain points.

Nice to know we're not alone!

SingFMAway
  7. abbylee

abbylee New Member

Line - two of the fms tender points are in the chest. Based on your description of neck, shoulder, upper back, AND chest, you must also have fibromyalgia.

abbylee
  8. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

that soreness is very common in FM patients, and I believe it! I get really tight and sore in my upper chest, into the front and sides of my neck and shoulders. Tight, tight, tight! Grrrrr! Pain Pain go AWAY!
  9. brit_17759

brit_17759 New Member

I have very sore and painful areas in my chest, breasts, shoulders etc. My doctor told me it was all to do with the FM.
    hugs,
    brit
  10. susabar

susabar New Member

Before I ever knew I had fibro I had a pain in my breast that felt like a hot poker going into it. I work with all women so when I said, " Ok who's had the hot poker in the breast feeling ? " they all looked at me. I had an emergency mammogram that of course was negative. Then last week I went to the family doctor because I had a sore throat and chest pain upon deep breaths. My lungs were clear so he attributed it to fibromyalgia and he cultured my throat because he said I had thrush , but I work in a microbiology lab and it grew a pure culture of Klebsiella pneumoniae ( a gram negative enteric rod ) Yuck... Any way it went away on it's own. We certainly are " cases" aren't we ? I am afraid that some day I'll chalk a symptom up to fibromyalgia and it will be something else that gets missed or overlooked. Scary !!!!
    Good Luck with your chests
  11. lease79

lease79 New Member

I have them too. Agonising to push on :eek:
    For me, they're always there, though the do get worse if I do too much :(

Lease
  12. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

around the side under my arms. They are always sore to the touch, but sometimes they sort of "pulse" and I can feel the soreness without touching them.

Sonya
  13. judyraye

judyraye Guest

Hey everyone. This is my first post on this board. I have CFS/FM diagnosed 10 years ago. Lately my entire chest has been sore and sometimes I feel like a brick is on my lungs. Sometimes difficulty breathing and sometimes sharp pains like a knife through my chest. I was sure it was my heart, but the Doc gave me Advair inhalent (2X a day) and Albuterol for attacks. These are Asthma meds and they help a little, but the soreness stays. Last night I read the feature article from the Sept 7th Immune Support Email "The Heart of the Matter". I strongly suggest that all who have these symptoms read this. It's 30 pages long and some confusing Medical talk but very informative. I take Provigel and am upset because the article clearly advises against it. I can't get out of bed without it.