SORE THROAT--GLANDS HURT--DO I ASK FOR ANTIBIOTICS??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cshellz, Sep 25, 2005.

1. cshellz

cshellz New Member

Hi all--
    still new and finding my way thru this dd! Started to feel better after being "sick" since about may 2005. Then--tried to do "NORMAL" things--and now I feel terrible. Woke with MONSTER headache, body aches--almost wanted to go to ER but knew this was fibro. Anyway--tonight have that recurrent sore throat--hurts up into ear: Glands swollen. May be allergies--but have had recurring bouts since june or so--last couple of days and go. No temp, but feel like flu--(tho I don't think it is--Fibro sucks!! :( )
    Will use saline gargle: but wondered do you ever get Rx'd antibiotics for this stuff???
    Any suggestions??
    Thanks, good wishes to all....
  2. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

Sure sounds like CFIDS to me. One of the hallmark symptoms of the disease is recurring flu like symptoms following any kind of physical or mental activity or stress of any kind. These symptoms can be debilitating and usually reduce the person's activity tolerance level by as much as 50%. How do you know you have fibro? Marie
  3. jake123

jake123 New Member

Another thought on the sore throat thing, you might have acid reflux that is washing back into your throat which is not good.
    It can indeed wash into your ear canals also which can be painful. I saw a doctor on the local news talk about it and he says to drink plenty of water "the solution to the pollution is dilution" (of the acid) as well as don't lay down after you eat, leave out the tomato foods, pickles, vinegar salad dressings, anything that might drag on your throat (for me it is cornbread) - take little bites.
    I'll bet the best thing for it is Nexium - I'm not sure it you can get this over the counter now, I'm going to look tomorrow.
  4. hidlyn

hidlyn New Member

I agree with the others. I have both CFIDS and FM. One usually outweighs the other at certain times, but I definitely have both. Don't let doctors tell you they are the same, because they're not. When the rheum. dx me with FM I asked him about CFIDS because I felt I also had that. He told me they went hand in hand and were the same thing. He said FM just simply comes with fatigue so that's why people think they have both. He's just plain wrong. I've been having a lot of problem with my throat lately, especially when I'm tired. The lymph nodes and glands feel very swollen around my esophagus near my thyroid and up to my jawline. It's been very annoying lately, especially since I'm on antibiotics for a sinus infection too. I never know which to believe is the culprit for the pain. Good luck!!

Take care.

Heidi
  5. JimB

JimB New Member

Could be a virus tho.

You clearly have some cfs or cfids symptoms.

(I'm not saying that you DO have CFS or CFIDS).

One symptom that many CFS people have is
    having a subnormal temperature.
    You think "oh I must be OK then,-
    but you KNOW you're not.

(not ALL patient have All the symptoms tho).

CFS and FM seem to be associated (same source?)
    But they are NOT the same illness.

That Doctor's comment could not be further from the Truth.

Wonder what planet he's been living on the last 20 years.

EVERYONE used to be ignorant about these illnesses,
    but a DOCTOR has a responsibility to NOT be ignorant.

An Ignorant auto mechanic wouldn't have a job very long.

6. angeldust

angeldust New Member

I had swollen glands and sore throats almost constantly throughout my first 2 years of cfs - olive leaf extract 1 capsule 3 x per day made a huge difference. I used solgar brand. Could be candida due to poor immune function, in which case antibiotics will make it worse!!
  7. hidlyn

hidlyn New Member

Isn't it crazy that the doctor who said that was from Johns Hopkins and was a younger doctor who should have been more up to date since his schooling was more recent. He was very unhelpful!!

Heidi
  8. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Hi,
    It sounds like CFS symptoms to me, but they should always be checked by your doctor.
    May I insert a word of cauton? For about 15 years before I was diagnosed I had recurring sore throats, "flu" and bronchial problems. Each time I was prescribed antibiotics, sometimes for as many as 14 weeks in a row. As a result, (I beieve) I am now allergic to all antibiotics. It turns out that I had been over prescribed.

I don't know what the answer is. but please, have or Dr. check you out, and don't diagnose yourself.

Good luck, and feel better soon,
    Terry