Sorry, I've Been Offline

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Seems Comcast has installed new broadband equipment which required my installing a new surfboard 3.0 modem. My old Flintstone Age modem no longer works and was soooooo slooooooow.

Well, it took two days and two hour-long calls to their tech support to install it. Oy! Then, I had to reset everything to get my router to work. I'm tellin' y'all, I'm now almost competent to be a card-carrying geek.

If I missed answering anyone, please post to me again or bump your question. I'm having a Herx-like purge right now so am still not up to a lot. Also, I think I used up all my brain power on that modem. There's only so much a girl can take.

Anyone else notice that companies which sell hi-tech products expect us all to be techies? I'm doing pretty well for an old, sick lady but worry that the hi-tech world is passing me by.

Love, Mikie
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Yes, our computers are our only connection to the world at times. For me, it has also been my only way to research treatments. I've met more kind and generous people here than I can count. I call this place my "online family."

Love, Mikie
  3. simpsons

simpsons Member

these things are sent to try us. you do pretty well for being ill. i know how these things take it out of you. so take it easy on yourself.

on the plus side spent an hour on the phone to a ninety year old lady who learnt to use the internet with my help in that hour. so you are never to old to use internet or to learn new things. something my great grandmother taught me when i was only 5. she was doing a course at college at 79.

be kind to yourself

love simps

4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

First, it's so nice to read about your kindness to that lady. Second, you are right; it's never too late. In fact, one reason I try to stay somewhat tech savvy is so that I don't lose it cause I'm usin' it. The whole problem with the modem turned out to be that the ID number on the modem I gave the first tech is not the one which ended up being in their computer. I went over that number at least three times with her, so I know it wasn't something I messed up.

I tried a Spanish class and then, an Italian class but both times, I had to stop because they were evening classes and I got sick and just couldn't do it anymore. That was a few years back. I'm hoping that when my injections are complete, I may feel more like learning new languages. I did buy a keyboard and will start spending some time learning some new songs and chords as soon as I find the music book I bought. It's time to weed through some clutter around here :)

Again, thanks for your inspiring message. Big hugs to you.

Love, Mikie