Sort of off topic - Root Canal and Antibiotics - HELP!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Empower, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Empower

Empower New Member

I started to have tooth pain this week, went to the dentist on Saturday and he said I need a root canal! This was a TOTAL shock to me as the tooth just started bothering me a few days ago.

Anyway this is a new dentist, and I am worried that he is wrong about needing a root canal

He gave me Keflex (Cephalexin) Antibiotic and I am so sick from them, even though I have taken them b4. Stomache pain, total fatigue, upset stomache

I don't know what to do. I am not sure this doctor diagnosed me right.

Besides probiotics (which I am afraid of for some reason) what else can I do?

Has anyone in the past taken a different antibiotic (besides Penicillen) for tooth problems?
  2. Empower

Empower New Member

Bump for myself
  3. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Empower,

Root canals can be very dangeerous. I just wrote a big entry on what my root canals did to me. Please read the post: TO ZENA01., before you make any decisions.

Thanks,

Terry
  4. darude

darude New Member

I believe root canals started my illness. I have five and I'm having them removed.
  5. matthewson

matthewson New Member

Did he do an x-ray of the tooth? I think they can tell from an x-ray if it might need a root canal. If you are not sure about the dentist, ask for a copy of the x-ray and get another opinion. I would have the root canal done by an endodontist anyway, so take it to one of them. They are experts in root canals.

I had one and didn't have any problems from it. My son and husband have also had one and they were fine too.

You should call the dentist and see if he can give you a different antibiotic if this one is causing you problems.

Take care and hope you feel better! Sally
  6. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

the xray will prove it...also most times there is a fistula on the outside of the gums...it's like a pimple a the root area of the tooth...

did you get a root canal scheduled...next you will need a crown for the tooth as well...

call your dentist about your med...you can take food with the keflex...and drink lot's of water...

i am currently a retired registered dental assistant....

i have seen patients literally fall asleep in the chair when they get their root canal done...it is a really boring procedure to assist on for me...

are you going to a root canal speicalist? go get a second opinion if you don't agree with it, it is your mouth...

jodie

[ advertisement ]