Sort of OT - Ragweed and Cantelope - Did You Know This

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Empower, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Empower

Empower New Member

I am severely allergic to Ragweed and am having alot of problems right now

I also have been downing Cantelope because it is sooo good

Then, I just happen to do a search on Ragweed and found that it is not good to eat Cantelope if you are allergic to ragweed...

Something about the same chemical in ragweed???
  2. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

I've been allergic to melons and ragweed most of my life. Here's a paragraph from an allergy site about it.

Jan

Cross Reactivity

The cross-reactive allergens linked to ragweed include honeydew, cantaloupe, watermelon, banana, and chamomile. Avoidance of these foods is usually recommended to reduce compounding symptoms. A cross-reaction to ragweed pollen may cause oral allergy syndrome, which is itching or swelling of the lips, tongue, throat or roof of the mouth.

Marsh elder and mugwort pollen, ragweed's botanical relatives, may also cause problems for those allergic to ragweed.

3. BxGirl

BxGirl New Member

I'm also allergic to ragweed. Do you know that when I eat cantelope it causes a lot of mucous to build up in my throat? I must be allergic to that too. It's been happening to me my whole life!

BxGirl
  4. Banka8

Banka8 New Member

Before I got CFS about 19 years ago I had no allergies. When I got sick I developed allergies to ragweed and cats. By mid August my ragweed allergy would be in full force. I found out some time ago that chamomile, cantalope, honeydew made my mouth itch when I ate them. Honeydew seemed to make more itching than cantalope. Another thing that made my mouth itch is concord grapes and muscadin grapes. I have no problem with grape jelly or jam though. I never noticed any reaction from watermelon.

Cutting out vitamin D in my diet made a big difference in my ragweed allergy. Last year I only had about 2 days of sneezing. I'm on the Marshall Protocol now and having continuting success in may symptoms.

I'm so thankful to have found the Marshall Protocol. Thank you immunesupport.com for running Dr. Marshall's article. Otherwise I would still be sitting around trying to figure out why I was sick with no hope of getting better.

Take care all.
    Judy