Soul Moments

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Dear Friends, I've been meaning to try my hand at writing. My background is business writing and probably too stiff to be considered creative. I decided to journal about "soul moments" and to share it here. This actually happened and I was so moved that I had to write it down.

Love, Mikie

A Soul Moment

I recently had what I call a “soul moment.” There are really no words which can adequately describe soul moments but there is no mistaking one when it occurs.

Spiritualists and psychics tell us that our loved ones on The Other Side communicate telepathically, without having to speak. Communication is instantaneous. For most of us mere mortals, it is necessary to speak or use the written word to communicate. Misunderstanding is common. Artists and poets probably come the closest to communicating from one soul or spirit to another but interpretation is subjective.

A soul moment occurs when two people are connected, spirit to spirit, and no words are necessary. There is an eerie feeling of being in another dimension as both people are tuned into the same feelings. Rather than sharing ideas, they share deep feelings.

Recently, my ex-husband had to have open-heart surgery. Considering the number of blockages in his arteries, he was lucky to still be alive and to have come through the surgery so well. I flew from my home in Florida to Colorado to be there for him and our children. We’ve been divorced almost twenty years and, like many other divorced couples, we are better friends now than when we were married. Our relationship has settled into a comfortable friendship like a favorite old worn sweater.

As I was leaving the hospital for the last visit before returning to Florida, we kissed lightly and told one another we loved each other. Something caused me to reach out and place my hand on his cheek. As we looked into each other’s eyes, something amazing passed between us. We both felt transformed into a place of pure understanding, forgiveness, peace and love. Gary’s eyes welled up and I withdrew my hand to keep from causing him to cry. I squeezed his hand and left.

Today, when he called, I asked him whether he experienced the same feelings and he said he did. I really didn’t need to ask because there is no denying soul moments. Still, I had to know if the intensity of feeling was as great for him as it had been for me. Our soul moment was a gift between two people who have chosen forgiveness over bitterness, love over hate. We have both moved on with our lives but we are secure enough to continue to allow our love to remain alive. Alive is an important concept. There is death in hatred and resentment. We have chosen life over death in our relationship.

I have had other soul moments but they are all too rare in this mortal life. Because this is still so vivid in my heart and soul, I decided to try to journal about it. Again, though, words cannot possibly describe what we experienced. All I know is that we shared a brief moment in an otherworldly dimension, a dimension filled with such pure feelings of love and peace. Those who claim to have had near-death experiences often describe their time in Heaven in such terms. They also have difficulty using words to describe their experiences.

My hope is that everyone has a chance to experience soul moments. I suspect all of us have at some time. It is all too easy to dismiss them. I think that is a mistake. We need to cherish them as God-given gifts. They can be a glimpse into God’s love for us. I once heard a line from a move; that I cannot remember which movie doesn’t lessen the importance of the line: “Seeing isn’t believing; believing is seeing.”
  2. budmickl

budmickl New Member

I wish the father of my kids could forgive me and turn loose of his hatred so we could be friends.

Your story is so inspirational to me.

I hope you copy it into Word or something, so if your thread should get deleted, you would still have the written words.

When is your surgery scheduled?

3. ckball

ckball New Member

What a great story. I do agree with you and have had one or two of those moments in my life.

I too have been divorced for 25 years but have a good freinship with my ex and his wife of 20 years. We have spent many a holiday, birthday, assort occasions together.It is much better than fighting and turning the kids into pawns.

I am glad your ex is doing well and you were able to be there for him and obviously it meant something to him that you were. Yes, savor the moment of pure love, they don't come along everyday. Thanks for sharing-Carla
  4. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

that was a lovely thing to read and so well written that I knew exactly what you meant.

I've experienced this only a few times in my life, it's not something that comes along often.

I wish I'd had such a relationship with my last husband but he was so filled with anger that he didn't speak to me for ten years, then he was gone a year after we were on more 'friendly' terms.

Hopefully your ex will recover well from his illness.

5. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

"Alive is an important concept. There is death in hatred and resentment. We have chosen life over death in our relationship."

“Seeing isn’t believing; believing is seeing.”

Wonderful Mikie, your words are gifts, thank you for giving.

Our world, ie daily life, expands greatly when we open our hearts ready to accept these gifts, hatred narrows our field of vision, thus we would not recognize a gift if we tripped over it.

Why can I not just end this reply here and leave gracefully..... please forgive me.

Many soul moments or other inspirational life-tools which you utilize complied together could be a ____________.

Bless, fondly, June

6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Budmickl, I pray your ex will come around. Give it time. Often, time helps to lessen the pain. When he is tired of carrying around the burden of resentment, he will be ready to heal. I hope and pray it is soon. My surgery is scheduled for Feb. 5th. It is in and out at the surgical suite right in the same bldg. as the doc's office. They tell me I can walk out without any aids, such as crutches (of course, that depends on their not finding anything else when they go in; nothing else showed up on the MRI). This post was cut and pasted from a Word document in my computer. Thanks for your kind words.

Carla, I'm so glad you have a good relationship with your ex and his present wife. It is inspirational to know that it is possible. Thanks for your good wishes. I'm glad you have had some soul moments too. They really seem to offer evidence that our physical lives here are not all there is.

Rosie, I'm sorry your ex didn't come around sooner. Thank you for your kindness and good wishes for my ex. He seems to be doing really well.

June, I'm laughing. Sweetie, this is my little attempt to get something down on paper. Small steps...small steps :) BTW, you have quite a gift with words. Where is your book?

To everyone, I just got my copy of the e-newsletter, "The Bleeping Journal," from the people who produced the BLEEP movie. In an interview with one of the quantum physicists, he talks a lot about how our conditioning keeps us from opening up to the Universal field of possibilities. In other words, our conditioning to "do" instead of to "be" keeps us too occupied to tap into this vast field of knowledge. Gary and I were both in a very grateful state of mind that day and we allowed our love to override our egos.

Again, thank you all so very much for your feedback. I really appreciate it.

Love, Mikie
  7. sisland

sisland New Member

Hi,,,I'm so Glad that you could be there for your ex during this difficult time in his life!,,,,And that now in your lives this peaceful forgiving time has occured!

This is a very Moving Post!,,I've had a few "soul moments" with My Mom when she was alive and i still feel her around me alot!,,,,It's almost like she's right in the room with me and we are having a conversation!

I know this sounds crazy!,,,But all of a sudden i will answer her out loud!,,

Example: making Christmas Cookies,,,and using her copper Cookie cutters that she treasured dearly!,,,,,All of a sudden i will say "Yes Mom i'm useing your Cookie Cutters",,,,,,,I Loved her More than life it's self!,,,she passed away of ALH,,,,

But anyway i wanted to ask you a Question about the Peaceful forgiving relationship you have with your Ex? ,,,,I would really like to have that also with my Ex,,,,But he is so Emotionaly Abusive that it's not possible,,,,How do you forgive someone who all knowinly made your life hell and still would if i give him a Chance?

Don't get me wrong I don't cause any trouble and there is a peaceful go between for the kids!,,,,,,,,,Just Wondering,,,,,,,Sis
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I loved reading your post about your Mom. I still carry on conversations with my Mom who died five years ago. I miss her so much. She sends feathers to us. They appear in the strangest places where no feathers would ordinarily appear.

I do not believe we should try to engage with an ex who continues to be abusive. We can forgive in our hearts and be civil for the children but if we cannot trust them not to hurt us, we need to keep our emotions within safe boundaries.

It's been almost 20 years since we divorced and we have both mellowed over time. The divorce was a very painful time for me and I felt all the pain and worked through it. I decided I had to forgive not only my ex, but also the woman who broke up our marriage and whom he eventually married. I have forgiven her but I do not have anything to do with her. That is my boundary. She hurt my children very badly but they have found a way to put up with her for the sake of their relationship with their Dad. He was as responsible as she for the breakup but he is still their Dad. She is simply someone they endure.

So, I guess we forgive so that we can grow and let go. I am glad the kids do have a loving relationship with their Dad. I am glad I am able to forgive because it frees me up to grow in spirit. I have no regrets because my ex gave me two beautiful girls and now I have a beautiful grandson. I love him for that and forgive him for the rest.

There are some things in life which hurt us deeply and I don't know that we can ever "get over" them. We just do the best we can. I avoid my ex's wife because it would be like tearing the scab off a wound which is healing. That is my boundary. I just don't need the pain. I don't wish her any harm and I pray for her and her family. I'm just not wanting to be around her.

Do what is comfortable for you and do not endure any more pain than you have to for your sake and the kids' sake. It sounds to me as though you are doing just fine. If, in time, your relationship with your ex can move to a higher level, great. If not, try to just accept what is. It was a long time before my ex and I got to this point. He deeply regrets what he did and what he put me through. I think that he has expressed that and asked for my forgiveness has helped us both to heal. It takes two. You can do only so much on your own.

Stay strong and God bless you.

Love, Mikie
  9. sisland

sisland New Member

Thankyou so much for helping me to clear this up in my mind! You are a God Send!,,,,Love!,,,,Sis
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I was hoping my reply made sense. Walking the path you and I have walked is like walking through a mine field. It takes courage. There is the risk of pain but forgiveness is worth the risk in the freedom we get in return. Still, we don't have to be reckless with ourselves. I have learned to be my own best friend and look out for myself. I hope you are guarding yourself and keeping safe emotionally while expanding spiritually. From your post, it sounds as though you really have it together. It also sounds as though you are healing and that, in itself, is a miracle by the grace of God and a lot of hard work on your part.

Love, Mikie
  11. sisland

sisland New Member

Thanks again! Yes we must understand what the other has gone through!,,I'm on the (Rest of My Life Road!)now with the end of this relationship that i went back to time and again Hopeing and praying that it would work out and that we could all be a whole Family again,,,,,,,,,,

But That is not to be!,,,,,,,,,And Wow is it Hard Because i loved this Man Dearly and he is the Father to my Girls,,,,,,So at First i just told myself to ignore all the problems and just to make it work no matter what,,,,Well you know what happened!,,,,,,,lol,,,,

And This is a man who professed his love daily no matter what!,,,,Married for 14 years,,,and now divorced for 16,,,,,But i find it very difficult to have another relationship with another man,,,,,But i'm Working on that daily!,,,,Thanks Dear!,,,,,Sis P.S. I Definetly have the Lord in my life!!!!
  12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Fight, I am so touched by your post. Thank you so much. I figured writing about feelings is a way to get more into personal writing and away from clinical, mechanical writing. I used to write business articles and I did some editing. I enjoyed it but it's not as creative as I'd like to be. Thanks again for your very kind words. Bless you.

Sis, I know just what you mean. The saddest words really are, "It might have been." I think the longest road in the world is from "knowing" to "feeling." The heart is slow to accept what the brain knows must be done. God bless you and your kids.

Love, Mikie
  13. laceymae

laceymae New Member

What a post...Everything happens for a reason. So many people wouldn't even have made the trip to see the ex.

I wish my mom and dad could have made peace before he passed. They both were so busy telling me the divorce was the other ones fault and why mom wouldn't let dad see us while we were growing up.

Thanks for sharing
    [This Message was Edited on 01/20/2008]
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I am sorry you had to go through that. I think after we pass over, we have perfect understanding and forgiveness. It's nice if we can effect peace and forgiveness here on earth but in the end, I think we all come around as spirits of love.

Thanks for your reply and kind words. I actually went to be a comfort to my kids as the main reason but in the process, both my ex and I were given a wonderful gift. I am always so grateful for any emotional healing in my life.

Love, Mikie
  15. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

The whole story would be much too long and detailed to share but the condensed version -
    I am the adult child of divorced parents. I love both of my parents deeply. I am VERY close to both of them. My mother has held onto her heartbreak for many years. My parents have been civil to one another but it has been obvious that there was always tension between them and for some reason my Dad was the angry one - should've been the other way around...(too long to explain)
    Anyway- a couple of years ago my father and I met in Las Veags for a few days by ourselves. We had a fantastic time toether just the two of us. One morning over breakfast, I held out my hand, across the table, he grabbed it. I said life is too short, there needs to be some forgiveness. If one of them died with things the way they were it would be a tragedy. I asked if he could find it in his heart to get over his anger. I had tears.
    Within a month, my father was coming to visit. Unbeknownst (sp?) to me, he had stopped at my mother's house for a 2 hour visit before coming to my house. "I promised you I would forgive and let go" is what he told me.
    WOW - what a gift from a father to a daughter.
    I have the most incredible parents anyway - this was really the only 'issue' sitting on the table that really needed taking care of. By doing something for me, he in turn did something for himself, for my mother, for the rest of the family. Amazing what has come out of it. We were able to spend the holidays together this year. My Dad even had his girlfriend of 5 years here with us and Mom did fine with it. This was the first in probably 20 years that my entire family was together.
    I know it is not always possible. There is abuse and other things that require much more time. Our situation was different. It was a lot of pride involved mostly and two people with differing opinions.
    The weight that has been lifted from my shoulders is unbelievable. I'm 45, but feel like this little girl is happy again.
    It takes a big person to forgive. It really does. For some reason we think forgiving means someone got away with someone or we think we gave them permission to treat us poorly or it was okay - that's not what it means. It is really a healing of one's own heart.
    Anyway - all the responses reminded me of that day at the table with my Dad. A simple request, a changed heart forever.
  16. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

What a beautiful story; thank you so much for sharing it with us. I am so very happy for you and your family.

Perhaps people will read your experience and decide to let go of bitterness and hurt or even reach out to someone who has hurt them or whom they have hurt after reading your experience. You never know.

Thanks again.

Love, Mikie
  17. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Thank you Mikie.
    I do know how blessed I am. My drive to work is the most beautiful, the view of the mountains is incredible. If you don't stop and talk to whatever higher you believe in, then well there's something wrong with ya! LOL Anyway- every morning - outloud I look at that skyline in awe and say thanks for what I have - for the people in my life.

Thank YOU, for your very inspiring post!
  18. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I never get tired of seeing CO's mountains. It snowed about 3" while I was there and it was truly a Winter Wonderland. I need to go back in the summer. This time of year, the cold, thin, and often polluted, air in the Denver area makes it difficult for me. A true measure of my healing will be when I can ski with my grandson. I'm going to try next year before it's no longer cool to ski with grandma. I've skied all my life so I think I can handle the easy slopes for a short time.

On my way to work here in FL, I see swaying palm trees and feel the sweet, soft, warm breezes on my skin. There is always something blooming or producing fruit here. There is always the beach but this time of year, you have to fight off the Snowbirds and tourists to get there. I am so grateful to have a huge pool here where I live. Life is good for me and I'm so very grateful for that and the healing I've received.

Again, your words are inspirational and healing. Thank you.

Love, Mikie