Sound Familiar? Physical Symptoms of Depression!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fivesue, Aug 5, 2005.

1. fivesue

fivesue New Member

OK...let's throw another log on the fire! From Web MD yesterday...AAGH!

Physical Symptoms of Depression (I'm abbreviating since I don't know how to copy!)

1. Headaches...if you have had migraines in the past, they may become worse. (check!)

2. Back Pain...if you have if before, it may get worse. (check!)

3. Muscle aches and joint pain. No commentary necessary! (check!)

4. Chest Pain...(check)

5. Digestive Probelms...nausea, queasy, diarrhea or chronically constipated. (check!)

6. Exhasution and fatigue...no commentary on this one, either! (check!)

7. Sleeping problems...you all know about this! (check!)

8. Change in Appetite or Weight...lose appetite and weight/gain appetite and weight. (check!)

9. Dizziness of lightheadedness...(check!)

So, now that I have been diagnosed with FM officailly, I read that all these symptoms could be the result of depression which I have had for 8 years diagnosed and longer, I suspect.

Just thought I'd give us something else to chew on. The good thing is that no one doubts depression, so if this is true, I'll just throw it all in the lap of my wonderful psychiatrist and have him handle it. I mean, who cares what it's called? Whatever, at this point, is easier to get help for and not looked at like a nut is the way to go! (Well, I am a bit of a nut...but not that kind!)

Good weekend, All.
    Sue
  2. kfinn2

kfinn2 New Member

I agree, I have all the symptoms you mentioned have been diagnosed with depression for at least 8 years. Just got the fibro diagnosis this year. I told my doc "I don't care what you call it, just make it go away!" Although I get taken much more seriously by my family and friends now that it's "not all in my head!" Whatever it takes to get people to understand I guess.

Kelly
  3. CFIDSNicole

CFIDSNicole New Member

My problem is that my GP listened to all my symptoms and told me I was depressed. I have the symptoms on the list (and many more) but I am most definitely not depressed. She doesn't really believe in CFIDS or FMS so she diagnosed me with depression even though I am not depressed nor do I have any reason to be depressed (other than feeling like crud and not having doctors believe me).

After her, I found a doc who basically specializes in CFIDS and FMS and he told me I have all the symptoms of CFIDS and that in no way did he think I was depressed.

So, lists like this can really cause problems for those of us who don't suffer from depression.

Nicole
  4. rt6176

rt6176 New Member

Having all these symptoms is depressing.

My doctor said becouse my list didn't include swollen neck glands, I did not have CFS.

My doctor then concluded that I suffered from mental illness and depression.

My doctor said I was obsessive - compulsive about wanting to get better. And that I needed professional help.

I do not see this nut anymore.

How many doctors are responsable for the depression of their patients?

Mmmm.... yogurt for dinner. then popcorn and ice tea.

Bye y'all,

RJay

5. libra55

libra55 New Member

I think sometimes we are so depressed we aren't even aware of it. Sort of denial.

I have been depressed most of my life. Years ago my doctor diagnosed me with dysthmia (low grade depression). Now due to a variety of different factors, I probably have progressed into a reactive depression.

But most of the time I just deny any of it. I think I am coping with FM, moody/abusive husband, autistic daughter, all just fine, when I probably am not coping well at all.

Michelle
  6. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I realize that I need help with both, but it is curious that I found this list the very day the FM diagnosis was confirmed. And, no, I'm not going to neglect FM stuff nor am I neglecting depression. It seems that I am having a harder and harder time with it...and not just feeling down, but feeling awful.

I'll never forget when I was diagnosed with depression. When the doctor said the it wasn't lack of estrogen, it was depression, I told him he was nuts...literally. I had no reason to be depressed as my life was just great. I told him that if I could live through a divorce without depression, there was no reason for me to have it now.

He then said that he wished there was a better word...then explained chemicals. gave me Prozac and Ativan for sleep, and in 2 weeks I was feeling so much better.

It didn't last, but I have dealt with this for a long time.I also think it's interesting because it shows how all of our systems are so intertwined that the same symptoms can be many different things. Just don't rule out depression when you think of the symptoms or the doctors tell you you may have it.

Lots to think about...with our fibro fog brains!

Sue