sounds like bubble wrap popping in neck

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by carebelle, Sep 15, 2006.

1. carebelle

carebelle New Member

Does anyone know what this could be? It sounds like I'm popping bubble wrap in my neck
  2. pastorwife

pastorwife Member

Oh, yeah! I have for years. I think it's all across the base of my skull. It's not painful, just annoying. It can be loud enough that I can't hear when I turn my neck. Sometimes goes away when I get accupuncture in that area.
  3. carebelle

carebelle New Member

Wonder why it does that?
  4. wordbyrd

wordbyrd New Member

Mine sounds like bubble wrap or finely ground-up gravel. Ewwww.

I figure it's due to further degeneration of the disks in my neck. I had spinal surgery 7 years ago (C5-6-7), so C4 and C8, the levels directly above and below the diskectomy and fusion, are probably acting up.

They'll just have to behave themselves because I don't have health insurance and can't afford to see my neurosurgeon, who would want to order an MRI and then likely operate again.

So, POP-POP-POP, crunch, crunch, crunch.

It harmonizes nicely with the constant low-pitched hum in my ears.
  5. carebelle

carebelle New Member

can other people hear this in your neck ?I havent had it happen around anyone.
  6. carebelle

carebelle New Member

7. lease79

lease79 New Member

I have this, it comes & goes over the years.
    I can hear it, but my Dr can't.
  8. kriket

kriket New Member

I have the same thing. I asked my chiropractor what it was and he said that it was inflammation causing the popping.

Kriket
  9. MsOnlyMe123

MsOnlyMe123 New Member

My younger sister always asked me "Do you hear that?, my neck is cracking" and I would laugh because I didn't hear anything and it didn't hurt her. We laughed and made jokes. Later to find out of her bulging disks problems in her back which caused much pain in her back and neck. Many, many times she could not get out of bed and still needs help getting up. She does not have Fibromyalgia. No one in my family has it except for me and of course, widespread, crippling pain.

C3 and C4 disk degeneration in my neck along with arthritis. My neck cracks about 75% of the time and no one can hear it except for me. We have always had a difficult time explaining to people what it sounds like. So thank you for "bubble wrap".

Eileen
  10. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Every joint in my body seems to have this. It is worse in the neck and top of back(wings) than anywhere else. It sounds like wrapping paper being crunckled.

My doctor listened to it with a stethescope. My knees and ankles are next on the list for these sounds. And my feet.
    Sometimes my dh can hear it when I stretch.

The doctor said it was "air". You know when you go to the chiro and he/she cracks your back or neck, (I do my own neck now) well that crack is apparently air bubbles of a sort, so I was told. I checked with a chiro and he agreed this is what it is. He also said that we should not have them when we are aligned properly. I know I only get these sounds where it hurts.

Why conventional docs think chiro is no good is that they cannot understand why releasing the "air" should make a difference. However, they have been proved wrong about that as apparently it does make a difference. I think the med term is crepidation.

My rheumy told me it is due to lax or hypermobile joints that are too sloppy.

Love Anne
  11. minkanyrose

minkanyrose New Member

doesn't hurt me either so I just figure I will leave well enough alone al though it reminds me of rice crispies.
  12. carebelle

carebelle New Member