soy affects thyroid med?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jfrustrated, Oct 29, 2005.

1. jfrustrated

jfrustrated New Member

I read that poodlemommy said she had been told that soy products affects absorption of thyroid med? Would appreciate any more details. I make my protein drink from soy whey and use soy milk to liquidize it. Is there a problem???
  2. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Does it decrease or increase it? I've never heard that, but I'll check it out. It doesn't say that on the prescription sheet I get nor has my doctor said anything. But, I really want to know what's up.

Thanks for the post.

Sue
  3. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Thank you so much for this information. I will have to stop the soy stuff and see what happens. I'll also look for it in things I buy now. I don't know...you just can't win for losing, can you? Try one thing and it hurts another.

Also, I am very interested in the info about soy formula as my son (33 on Tuesday) drank it as an infant...he's allergic to milk. I will have to tell him about the thyroid stuff.

Thanks, friends. You are a great help to me.

Sue
  4. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

jfrustrated .. The last endocrinologist I saw .. this past July had a simple but profound remark about why my medication was not working affectively .. This took how many doctors ? and almost 4 years ..
    I have Hashimoto's .. on Synthroid (.112) .. was taking the med with my breakfast which was 2 slices of whole grain specialty bread ( bran and all sorts in it ) .. well it was suppressing the Synthroid med ! .. DUH !! hahaha
    It never ceases to amaze me when such a small detail makes a HUGE impact !
    Good Luck !
    Fudge : )
  5. jfrustrated

jfrustrated New Member

Thanks a lot for the info: it is very useful - the soy milk will go in the bin and the doctor who put me on soy protein drinks AND thyroid med will get a very carefully worded email.