Soy , Calcium and Synthroid.............

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kadywill, Oct 16, 2002.

1. kadywill

kadywill New Member

Please advise. Am I taking all the wrong things in an effort to decrease the # of my meds? I take Synthroid at night, Soy Isoflavones three times daily and Calcium three times daily. I read on another post that these combinations are not good. I need these things; well, especially the Synthroid and Calcium. Please tell me what you know about this, my friends!
    Love,
    Kady
  2. kadywill

kadywill New Member

Please advise. Am I taking all the wrong things in an effort to decrease the # of my meds? I take Synthroid at night, Soy Isoflavones three times daily and Calcium three times daily. I read on another post that these combinations are not good. I need these things; well, especially the Synthroid and Calcium. Please tell me what you know about this, my friends!
    Love,
    Kady
  3. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

I have hypothyroidism and have been on Synthroid since the early 90's. I've studied up on this subject extensively because I wanted to take responsibility for my condition and help make some educated decisions. If you read the INSERT of the Synthroid box, it will tell you to be sure to take your meds on an EMPTY stomach and wait up to an hour before eating. It will also say that you should NOT take any calcium for at least FOUR hours after you have taken the Synthroid. Both calcium and soy inhibit the action of the Synthroid, so it won't work for you. Stick with the Synthroid and Calcium, taken on an empty stomach and four hours apart.....LOSE the SOY! I take my synthroid the minute I wake up....I don't even get out of bed first! (I have a bottle of water on my nightstand.) Since I work at home, I am able to go back to sleep and get up when I darn well please. Even if I did take my pill and get up right away, it takes me a couple hours to even get hungry, so I'd still be doing okay. Take your Synthroid in the morning, then after lunch, take a calcium pill, then at supper, take another one, then at bedtime too. This should work well for you!

Good luck!
    Marilyn :)
  4. kadywill

kadywill New Member

Thank you SO much for this; I REALLY hate it when I realize that I've done something stupid.....should be used to it by now. I really appreciate this..will do. I am (was) taking the soy for menopause since I d/c'd the Premarin, but the Synthroid is one of those "have to" meds and I don't wanna screw around with it's effectiveness!!
    Thank you bunches!
    Love,
    Kady
  5. Dlee

Dlee New Member

Why can't you take premarin,if I may ask?
    Donna
  6. kadywill

kadywill New Member

I was taking it anyway due to my Osteoporsis from years of taking Prednisone and my family history of heart disease, but when my liver went bad I tried to d/c any unecessary meds and this was one I thought I COULD manage without! I'm taking Black Cohosh at bedtime and doing very well with it. BTW, I take a lot of my meds at night 'cause I wake up very early for work and I have to rush around to get there in time...never eat until lunch and I have chronic morning sickness because of this...I don't wanna further upset my stomach with meds, but, as a nurse, I should've realized that this would be the time to take Synthroid (Levoxyl). You know, our docs don't order our patient's Synthroid to be taken on an empty stomach....we give it at 0900, which is after breakfast! Hmmmmmmmmmmm..........they surely DON'T know everything, do they??
    Love,
    Kady
    [This Message was Edited on 10/17/2002]
  7. Dlee

Dlee New Member

Nope Doc's don't know it all.I can't take because of the Synthriod.I was the one who showed my Dr the reseach that it could react together I really got bad and I have taking it for years together.But all at once something went wrong but I think now that was around the time i was getting FM Most of my symtoms started around 1996 after a back injury.
    Donna
  8. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

You certainly aren't stupid! The doc didn't tell you, so how the heck were you supposed to know? Who reads those inserts anyway? The empty stomach thing was right on my Synthroid bottle, yet my mother-in-law, who takes the same med, takes her with meals because nobody told her any different. What a waste of a good med, and just think that all those people taking their thyroid med after breakfast aren't feeling any benefits from it at all. What a shame!

Marilyn
  9. lilwren

lilwren New Member

Kady had asked me and I am so brain dead and in so much pain - I was afraid I would give her the wrong info. Sorry Kady. Thank you for coming to the rescue Marilyn!!

Kady it seems that we have to learn as we go with all this crap - I keep making mistakes too. I've been washing down my thryoid meds with a soy protein shake every morning! I know we have to look out for ourselves, but there is soooo much to remember and it's so difficult when we're in a brain fog anyway.

Love,

Sharon L
  10. pepper

pepper New Member

I have learned so much from this board. I have been taking Synthroid since July. The insert and monograph said nothing about taking it on an empty stomach so I asked my sister when she took hers. She's been taking it for 20 yrs after breakfast so that is what I did.

About a month ago I read on this message board that it should be taken on an empty stomach so I did some research and found out that that is when it should be taken. I now do what Marilyn does and keep it on my nightstand with some water and take it when I first wake up and before I drift off again.

Another example of how informed the people on this board are! Thanks all. Pepper
  11. PaulMark

PaulMark New Member

Dagnabbit, i feel so confused yet again, since reading that post on soy now i'm afraid to take this soy based (although fermented soy) its a medical food can't say name, the naturpath nutritionis uses in cancer and cfs patients and has me on due to my malnoursished and gut ecology problmes,

my thryoid tested normal but heck those test can vary as you all know

i e mailed the makers fo the product and even sent them the article they said today's research is the latest research and that the fermented soy in their product is not the same as eating soy, and that for every article against soy there is one for it,

i know andrew weil md is big on soy and he is no dummy

it's so confusing trying to figure out what to take not to take or what is good and what isn't

someone on here had a good point about articles on dangers of meat, dairy, etc.

just throwing it out for food for thought, Paul mark
  12. kadywill

kadywill New Member

very confused. I was taking Soy Isolavone Capules three times a day. I just stopped them until I research more. However, I am taking my Synthroid on an empty belly now...hope it helps!
    I love this board. Like I said, I am a nurse and I give Synthroid daily to many, many people, but our pharmacy and physicians have never specified to give it before breakfast. Live and learn.

Love,
    Kady
  13. MsJoey

MsJoey New Member

using soy, and he said no, use it if you want to. I haven't and now after reading this I am glad. (Since I take thyroxine every morning.) At least I knew about taking it before eating. I told my doctor the more I read the more confused I get and he jokingly said maybe I shouldn't read so much.....where do these guys get educated?!
  14. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

I was treated by GP's for the first 12 years that I had hypothyroidism and felt pretty crappy every single day. Then I started to feel desperate and lost about maybe NEVER feeling like a normal person again, so I spent hours and hours researching the thyroid online. Many of the things I learned, my own GP didn't know. When I asked her different things about the thyroid, she shrugged her shoulders. She's no expert on that part of the body and she readily admitted it to me. Turns out I knew more about the thyroid and the meds than she did! She referred me to an endoctrinologist at my insistance, and he agreed with everything I had learned online. He upped my Synthroid dosage and within 2 weeks, I felt like a new person! No fog, no pain, no weakness and lethargy and NO COLDNESS!! For years and years I slept with socks on. Now I have to stick my feet out from under the covers at night. My body temp still hovers in the mid to low 97 degree range, but my hands and feet are no longer cold,so I think that treating my hypothyroidism increased my circulation. It's amazing how many GP's don't know that much about the thyroid and the meds that go with it. Soy should NEVER, under any circumstances, be ingested when on Synthroid. I'm so disappointed that so many of our GP's remain ignorant on these issues, and it's so easy to stay updated and knowledgeable!

Marilyn :)
  15. Betsy2

Betsy2 New Member

Recently when I picked up my perscription for Synthroid the pharmacist noted that I take calcium and Synthroid. He warned me that Calcium could play on the effects of the Synthroid. I take such a small dose of Synthroid that he was not overly concerned but wanted me to know that when I knew my thryroid levels may be tested to not take the calcium because it could mask the true levels. I don't take calcium daily but will on occaision to help with pain levels so I am not really worried where I am concerned.

[ advertisement ]