soy formula hypothyroidism / fibromyalgia?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by juliemom527, Sep 22, 2007.

1. juliemom527

juliemom527 New Member

I recently ran across some info while Googling suggesting that there's a link between eating soy formula as an infant and hypothyroidism and/or other ailments later in life, because of hormone dysregulation early in life.

Since I was born in '58 and had soy formula as an infant, this made me curious.

Is this common knowledge? I mean, have other of you suspected this kind of formula could have caused these kinds of issues for you later in life?

Just curious.

Lago Vista, TX
  2. LadyCarol

LadyCarol Member

I switched from cows milks to soy milk in an attempt to reduce cholestrol. A few months later a blood test revealed I had hypothyroidism, previous blood tests showed I had normal thyroid function.

I stopped drinking soy milk and the next blood test showed a significant improvement in thyroid functioning although hypothyroidism is still present.
  3. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

I was born in 1956 .. I may have well been on soy milk formula .. I had a lot of illnesses as a child ..
    Hashimoto's ... thyroiditis .. FM .. MVP ...and assorted others .. is there a connection ? ... looks suspicious to me .. glad to see this here !
    Thank you !
  4. juliemom527

juliemom527 New Member

When I was Googling on this subject the other day, I think I read that soy formula has been made illegal in New Zealand because of the negative impact it has been shown to have on health.

The U.S. (as a whole) doesn't seem too interested in this kind of research, apparently, I guess in part because of what a big industry soy has become.

I've been trying to avoid soy lately, but it's hard to avoid it completely.
  5. froggyfog

froggyfog New Member

Other names for soy
    Soya, soja, soybean, soyabeans
    Soy protein (isolate/concentrate), vegetable protein
    Textured soy flour (TSF), textured soy protein (TSP), textured vegetable protein (TVP)
    Tofu (soybean curds)

Make sure you read product labels carefully to avoid products that contain soy and soy derivatives. Avoid food and products that do not have an ingredient list and read labels every time you shop.

Possible sources of soy
    Note: Avoid all food and products that contain soy in the ingredient list, e.g., soy cheese.

Baby formulas
    Baked goods and baking mixes, e.g., breads, cookies, cake mixes, doughnuts, pancakes
    Bean sprouts
    Beverage mixes, e.g., hot chocolate, lemonade
    Bread crumbs, cereals, crackers
    Breaded foods, chili, pastas, stews, taco filling, tamales
    Canned tuna/minced hams
    Chewing gum
    Cooking spray, margarine, vegetable shortening, vegetable oil
    Diet drinks, imitation milk
    Dressings, gravies, marinades
    Frozen desserts
    Hydrolyzed plant protein (HPP), hydrolyzed soy protein (HSP), hydrolyzed vegetable protein (HVP)
    Monosodium glutamate (MSG) (may contain hydrolyzed protein)
    Processed and prepared meats, e.g., beef, deli, pork, poultry
    Sauces, e.g., soy, shoyu, tamari, teriyaki, Worcestershire
    Seafood-based products, fish
    Seasoning, spices
    Simulated fish and meat products, e.g., surimi (imitation crab/lobster meat), simulated bacon bits
    Snack foods, e.g., candy, chocolate, energy bars, fudge, popcorn, potato chips
    Soups, broths, soup mixes/stock
    Spreads, dips, mayonnaise, peanut butter
    Thickening agents
    Vegetarian dishes

Non-food sources of soy
    Cosmetics, soaps
    Craft materials
    Milk substitutes for young animals
    Pet food

Note: These lists are not complete and may change.
  6. tansy

tansy New Member

I take nattokinase. I am not hypothyroid but for many years had swings from hypo to hyper thyroid so I did some research before taking nattokinase to break down fibrin.

In the last 18 months I have had very few thyroid related Sx, even though for some of that time I was taking nattokinase.

However, if I were chronically hypothyroid I would avoid soy, or only consume small amounts of it in it's broken down forms. Soy, as eaten today in the West, is not the same as the cultured and fermented soy foods upon which data, often used to sell soy as a healthy food, are based.

TC, Tansy
  7. tansy

tansy New Member

**Nattokinase is a systemic enzyme isolated from the traditional Japanese soy food, natto. It has been shown to support healthy blood flow by assisting the circulatory clearing system of the body.

Nattokinase Side Effects or risk

No significant nattokinase side effects have yet been reported in the medical literature. One action of nattokinase is as a blood thinner, hence those on coumadin or other anticoagulants need to be careful and discuss with their doctor the use of nattokinase supplement.

Possible mechanisms of action

Nattokinase inactivates plasminogen activator inhibitor type 1 and potentiates fibrinolytic activity. In other words, it could dissolve fibrin. Fibrin is a protein involved in the clotting of blood that is polymerised to form a "mesh" that forms a hemostatic plug or clot (in conjunction with platelets). Fibrin is made from fibrinogen, a soluble plasma glycoprotein synthesized by the liver. Nattokinase prevents aggregation of red blood cells.**
  8. inbetweendays

inbetweendays New Member

soy is dangerous...and the soy industry has used media and politics to promote its is an enzyme inhibitor,fuels estrogen dominated illnesses, creates a state of estrogen dominance in the body, promotes precocious puberty--just to name a few things...buyer beware....please people educate yourselves to what big pharma and industry do not want you to know...also if you are interested tune into the radio show called the truth about nutrition and hear all about the dangers of soy--and lots of other things they don't tell you out there.
  9. dannybex

dannybex Member

While soy may be not the health food that many have claimed it to be, and may affect thyroid function, natto is made from FERMENTED soy, which does not affect the thyroid...

A google search will turn up more info...

Just my two cents! :)

10. woofmom

woofmom New Member

You are correct. Soy is not dangerous. But a Manganese deficiency is.
  11. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I can't have soy. If I drink soy milk, I get terrible irregular period bleeding. The last time I had some, I got the worst period of my life where I was soaking pads every fifteen minutes and getting more and more lightheaded from it. It was so scary, I thought I was going to have to go to the hospital. There is definitely a link with soy and hormones.
  12. woofmom

woofmom New Member

When we take in more substances (toxins or otherwise) than the body can safely deal with then we have a problem. The correct minerals and the ability to utilize them is crucial for good health.
  13. mom3333

mom3333 New Member

This is very interesting, I'm glad I came across this!

I am curious if anyone knows what a child or adult should do if you can not drink cow's milk or soy milk? Then what do you drink for the nutrients? I know there are many things you can eat and supplements to take but what would an infant drink as formula since neither may be suitable (as if the child may have an allergy to milk)?

I may have missed the answer to this somewhere - sorry if this is repeated or already answered. I am just looking for a little clarification or where to find alternatives.
  14. woofmom

woofmom New Member

A liver that is functioning at it's optimun can help to solve a lot of health issues.
  15. mom3333

mom3333 New Member

Thank you very much for the info. After the post, I started researching to see what I could find. I found that goat's milk or rice milk are good alternatives. The rice milk needs to be fortified since it does not have everything that is needed for an infant or a toddlers nutriotional needs, or atleast much less than other alternatives. The goats milk is easier on a person than cow's milk.

I have no issues with milk, but my daughter does. She is a toddler now and hopefully this will be outgrown but the chance that she does not, I will be a little more prepared. I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis but I was never given soy. Either way, I want to make sure my daughter has a good alternative since the risk of her having thyroid issues is already higher since it now runs in the family.

I agree with you, its amazing how influential one person can be without multiple doctor's opinions to be sure everyone is aware of the risks. As well as pushing soy when all the information seems to be one sided until you research it a little. Thank you again!
  16. woofmom

woofmom New Member

Soy depletes molybdenum and homogenized milk goes through the aldehyde detox pathway and requires (has to have) molybdenum as a cofactor to be properly metabolized.
  17. woofmom

woofmom New Member

Manganese is lost in milling and absorption is also negatively influenced by large amounts of calcium, zinc, phosphorous, cobalt and SOY PROTEIN.
  18. lkraft

lkraft New Member

people trying to get me to try ReLive to help me feel better. Well . . . . the base powder for ReLive is made of soy protein. Even though I try to explain this to them, they still think it will be 'good for my thyroid'. Huh?
  19. woofmom

woofmom New Member

Underactivity of the parathyroid gland is caused by increased blood levels of phosporous. When phytic acid is removed from soy it is no longer unhealthy. It's not the soy, it's the phytic acid. Phytic acid, phenols, tannins chelate minerals. Thus soy does not cause hypothyroidism. Mineral deficiencies cause it. If it were true that soy causes hypothyroid, then we would need to eliminate all legumes from our diet. Soy beans have the highest amount of phytic acid of all legumes.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/26/2008]
    [This Message was Edited on 05/26/2008]
  20. woofmom

woofmom New Member

Manganese aids in thyroid function. There is no excuse for ANY healthcare provider to overlook Manganese and/or other minerals. Any competent health care provider is able to spot a Manganese deficiency by having the patient bend over, turn their neck from right to left and left to right. And by having the patient bend their head forward and backward. It is one of the easiest things to note.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/27/2008]