spacee – Dr. Nicolson [antioxidants and lipids]

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by DrNicolson, Sep 13, 2010.

1. DrNicolson

DrNicolson New Member

spacee – Dr. Nicolson [antioxidants and lipids]

I have read where you now are using antioxidants and lipids to fight the mycos.

Are there any specific brands you prefer?

And any you do not think are helpful?

Chronic intracellular bacteria (Mycoplasma, Borrelia, Chlamydia, Ehrlichia, etc.) increase the production of Reactive Oxygen Species (ROS) inside our cells, and our mitochondria are especially susceptible to this type of oxidative damage. When mitochondrial inner membrane lipids are oxidized by ROS, they become leaky and the electrochemical potential across the inner membrane cannot be maintained, resulting in loss of electron transport and reductions in high energy molecule production (ATP, NADH) and eventually in important cellular reducing molecules like reduced glutathione, resulting in fatigue that is not eliminated by rest.

In most degenerative and chronic diseases, this is a problem, including CFS and other fatiguing illnesses. We have found that replacement of the damaged membrane phosholipids in the mitochondria (I call this Lipid Replacement Therapy) restores mitochondrial function and significantly reduces fatigue. We have used unoxidized membrane phospholipids, such as NT Factor plus antioxidants, to replace damaged lipids in various membranes, including the mitochondrial membranes. This all natural ingredient NT Factor can be found in several commercial products that fight fatigue and restore mitochondrial function.

2. simonedb

simonedb Member

I should have asked about the bad reaction I tend to have to a lot of anti-oxidants like co-Q10 makes me feel worse. Also feel worse on N-AC (didnt test positive for CPn tho).
    I have read theories that increasing oxygen/oxidants could be worse for some cfs people but don't understand why there is difference there among patients, that can be quite significant.
    would like to understand the mechanism when supplements such as those aren't tolerated, ie very bad headaches etc
  3. karynwolfe

karynwolfe New Member

I'm in between, here

I take a supplement with Co Q-10, L-carnitine, and high amounts of Vitamin E.

For two weeks, it made me worse. But after that initial period, it helped me A LOT... I have no explanation but perhaps the worsening is only temporary, and people just don't stick with it long enough to find out if it will help? Also, I believe the doses have to be high enough, otherwise the person may just feel the worsening and never reach the improvement phase because there's just not enough supplement to warrant it...

Perhaps the initial worsening is caused by the infections fighting back.
  4. DrNicolson

DrNicolson New Member

When treatment makes signs/symptoms temporarily worse, Herxheimer Reactions are often to blame. This is sometimes called a die-off reaction, and it occurs when microorganisms are stressed and release toxins, cell surface components and other substances that initiate immune reactions and a cytokine storm. This in turn, makes you feel worse (more severe signs and symptoms) for a few days to a few weeks, until you slowly get better with treatment.
  5. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

i take a few antioxidants, vite ,c, nac, lipoic acid, q10, now i cant tell if its helping or not but take it because the science behind it is good, maybe if i didnt take them i would be worse, but i also think they have a protective mechanism from all the meds we may use as well, nac and lipoic acid are suppose to have very good liver protective effects. Some of these antioxidants are also used in diabetis neuropathy and to protect from nerve damage in ms. I think cfs being a neurological as well as immune disorder, i think our nervous system requires as much protection as we can get, hopefully minimise the neurolgical symptoms we have like memory, pain, muscle spasms etc.
  6. spacee

spacee Member

I have taken NADH for years and years. Can't be without it.
    Perhaps that is the reason I didn't do well with the NT Factors.

I don't know.Worth another try. Perhaps will do better next time.

[This Message was Edited on 09/13/2010]
  7. DrNicolson

DrNicolson New Member

Repairing mitochondria so that they can produce proper amounts of ATP and NADH is important in probably all chronic illnesses. You have apparently found a way to replenish depleted NADH, one of the high-energy molecules necessary for metabolism and life produced by mitochondria. Thus you may not require NT Factor, if your mitochondria are producing enough ATP, the other required high-energy molecule.

Many patients complain that various oral forms of NADH don't work for them, possibly because the NADH is so hard to get transported into your cells where it is required.

We always tell patients to try various methods and remedies, because you can never tell what will work with some patients and what will not work for others.