Spacee.....another student nurse bed-bath story!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HeavenlyRN, Mar 17, 2010.

1. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

I loved your description of how the guy's eyes lit up when the student nurse came to give a bed bath.

During my first semester of nursing school (I was a late bloomer, and started nursing school at age 36) I was so nervous about having to give my first bed bath.

Remember how, in nursing school, they taught us to start at the top and work down? Remember how we had to wash one area, then rinse that same area, then dry the area - all the while keeping the rest of the body covered?

Well, my first bed bath patient was a "little old lady" who suffered from pathological fractures and had to be treated very gently. I think the staff nurses gave her to the student nurses because she was quite time consuming. Anyway, I had rolled her over onto her side and gently washed her from shoulder to feet, all the while washing, rinsing, drying, covering and uncovering.

It wasn't until I heard this tiny little far-away voice say, "You're awfully slow, aren't you?" that I realized I had positioned her face right in her pillow!

I was so mortified - not to mention premenstrual - that I wanted to quit nursing school right then! I was sure that I would never be a good nurse. I found an empty bathroom and cried for 5 minutes!!

Luckily I eventually got over that!!
  2. spacee

spacee Member

I have really laughed out loud over that one!! One for the record books.

I remember my first injection. This was a man in his 50's I think. He was practically screaming bloody murder cause he didn't want the shot.

The next day he wanted to know where I was "cause the shot didn't hurt" and he wanted me to give it to him.

I'm proud of you for getting through it. I didn't.

3. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

Oh....injections! I hated giving injections as a student! I also remember my first injection. My instructor was a b*tch. Mean, mean, mean!

After I gave my first injection she told me to meet her in the hall. She said, "That was absolutely the worst injection I have ever seen." I don't think I was premenstrual that day.

When I went in to the patient's room later she said, "Oh honey, you give such good shots!!" I chose to believe her!

I'm sorry that you didn't get through it, as you said. I don't know what it was like for you - but it was stress from beginning to end for me. There were many times I just didn't think I'd make it. But, nursing school and nursing are not for everyone. We all have our own "thing" that we do. I hope you found yours.