spacee - what dose klonopin do you take?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Jen F, Jun 20, 2003.

1. Jen F

Jen F New Member

Brand name clonazepam is called rivatril here.

I started on 0.5 mg today and I have very little pain relief from it. I took a second one a couple of hours ago.

What dosage and how often are you taking the clonazepam?

What was your starting dosage?

Thanks.

jen
  2. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

I am not Spacee (well, hmm I guess that is
    debatable), but I have taken Klonipin.
    I have the .5 mg and started with either a 1/4 or
    1/5 and worked by way up to .5 I did not know it
    was supposed to help pain. It just made me
    sleepy but I hated the way I felt the next day.

Are u taking glucosamine for you neck? That seemed
    to help me quite a bit.

Hope u get relief soon.
    Lynn
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It's an antiseizure medication. It is used to stop the misfiring of the neurons in the brain to help us sleep, get rid of anxiety, and help with sensory overload. There is some evidence that it does disrupt the pain signals in the brain, but Klonopin by itself is not adequate for severe pain.

The usual dose is 1 mg at bedtime and another .5 mg during the daytime. I cut my daytime dose into quarters and slip them under my tongue as needed. This way, they do not produce sleepiness during the day.

Love, Mikie
  4. suz41

suz41 New Member

Dear Jen:

Klonopin or Clonazepam (same thing) was originally marketed for seizures. I have a seizure disorder as well and have been on Clonazepam for sveral years. However from everything I have read for FM you probably should only be taking it at night for FM and it won't help with pain. It is a member of the antanxiolytics and can be create dependecy. Also because it has a very long half life you should not get a rush as with other benzos. Talk to your physician about a bedtime dosage that won't add to morning fogginess due to the long half life