SPCA.....I am so HAPPY

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kathleen12, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

I have been battleing for several years since hurricane Katrina to get all these feral cats spayed/neutered. I've only managed to get about 5 out of the 25+ fixed so far. The nearest spay/neuter clinic to me is 30 miles away and with gas prices I can't afford the trips to drop them off and pick them up. But I've been trying SO hard to get this done.

Any way, I got a call today from a lady at the SPCA and told me that I am eligible for her new start-up spay/neuter program to where I don't have to pay ANYTHING to get all these guys fixed! They will actually come to my home with the mobile spay/neuter van and do it in my own lawn! The lady already knew that I am on SS disability and I told her of my CFS of which she already knew about this disease. I could not help but cry over the phone with her. I was just so overcome with gratitude and relief. OMG, I cryed like a dad-gumed baby! But I did tell her that I would LOVE to volunteer when I can by making phone calls, passing flyers when I'm able and whatever she needs me to do. She was so happy to have a new volunteer. And I am so happy to be able to feel needed and useful again....and of course getting all my ferals fixed!

THere ARE good people out there!!

Oh yeah, there is another lady who is coming down with lots of traps to help me get them trapped. So far, I've only been able to trap one at a time and that's only once a week! so now it will go a lot faster.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/26/2008]
  2. springwater

springwater Active Member

and Kathleen, you are one of the very best. God Bless You for the selfless work you do helping these strays.

In most disasters, all the attention goes to humans and they dont even tell us what happened to the animals, as if animals dont get petrified, or suffer agony same as humans do.

Thank God for people like yourself and those ladies you are working with.

God Bless
  3. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

Thank you so much for that sweet compliment, and I hope this thread didn't come across like I was fishing for one...LOL.

I am just so glad that there are others who are out there so willing to help me in this impossible mission. I was so beginning to lose hope.

Thank you, you're a doll!
  4. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

...oh it is so hard to do what you are doing. Thank goodness you have some financial help.

A few years ago we inherited a house with 14 siamese cats left in the yard all feral. We adopted two 4 day old kittens (one at 16 is still with us and is a doll!)We set up live traps for the others, but the big mamma cat actually broke through the cage!!! Finally we caught them all, and had a great vet who would come to the house and neuter in our home with me assisting, and would take the females (only three surviving) back to his surgery. He charged basically not much. He also gave them three year rabies and provided the racoons that were out there with edible rabies stuff.

You are doing a great job. We have four cats presently all of them rescues.

Love Annie and lots of purrs to you!
  5. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

Thank God for people like you Kathleen. I just love all my kitties and actually, Asa, my mostly recent deceased was a feral kitten I rescued. It takes a wonderful person to care for these animals and all of your hard work has finally paid off. I'm so happy for you!
  6. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

for you to do Kathleen and I'm glad you are getting the support you need.

I bet the woman is delighted that you are volunteering to help when you can.

Good luck with trapping all these little kitties.

7. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

My intent was to give accolades to my local SPCA and the ladies who are working with me....LOL..I am thankful, though that y'all recognize my efforts too. Y'all are too sweet. Thank you.
  8. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

We received 2 kittens and I called the vet and by the time they were finished with OV, shots and spaying, it was $500!

Our ASPCA is going to do it for $120 for the both of them.

How can they stop this problem if there is no place to take these cats and dogs to get fixed that is affordable?

I am so happy for what you are doing and that you found someplace to help. That is good news!

I believe our pets are angels. They give back to us so much!

I am also glad you chose to volunteer. It takes a special person to rescue the animals.