Special Soup recipe need ideas

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Granniluvsu, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Help, does anyone have a fantastic soup gumbo or chili recipe that is to die for and doesn't have 5 million ing.? I am having a " souper dinner" at my house next week for our diiner group. I need some ideas, PULEEZE !!.

It can be crock pot or not .

Thanks alot !

2. sisland

sisland New Member

Sounds FUN!,,,Lol,,,Here's one of My Moms Recipies.,,,,,Goodluck!

Potatoe Corn Chowder (Crock-Pot) Or Stove Top

4 med-large Potatoes peeled and diced
    4 cups of water
    1/2 cup diced onion
    garlic as desired
    salt & Pepper to taste
    Bring to a Boil and add
    some chopped bacon,,,,When potatoes are almost cooked then add 1 can of evaporated milk and 1 can of whole cornerl corn,,,,continue to cook until all flavors are blended well,,,,,,,We usualy have homemade baking powered biscuts with this soup,,,,,,hope this helps!

[This Message was Edited on 01/19/2008]
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Here is a timesaving tip from a 1950 Betty Crocker Cookbook.

Mix one can green pea soup w/ one can tomato soup. Add one and a half cans of water or milk.

Betty no longer looks like she did in 1950. Of course the rest of don't either, but we have aged. Betty got modified.

4. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I start by melting about 6 T. butter, then cooking one whole onion, chopped. Add 2 cloves of garlic, minced. Add 6 T. flour and cook and stir. Then add 2 c. chicken broth and 3 or 4 cups milk, cook and stir until it thickens. Add 1 qt. stewed tomatoes, salt, pepper to taste, and basil and/or Italian seasoning. I also add a small can of tomato paste....almost forgot.

Serve with croutons.....delicious!

Have fun with your souper dinner!
  5. victoria

victoria New Member

I use one box each of the soup 'bases' of roasted red pepper or creamy tomato, and creamy butternut squash (made by 'Imagine' (brand in HF section), and blend them with 1 can drained chickpeas.

This is heated in a pot with 1 jar of green salsa and 1 can drained whole chickpeas. Salt to taste.

Because of being able to choose the green salsa anywhere from mild to hot, you can make this as spicy as you want.
  6. bevy2most

bevy2most New Member

My Spicy Chicken Soup

1 whole cut up chicken
    1 bag baby carrots
    1 8oz can whole tomatoes
    4 potatoes cut up
    1 or 2 jalepenos
    2 tbs cumin
    2 garlic cloves
    1 onion chopped
    salt and pepper to taste
    Boil chicken till done. (if you are having a good day remove meat from bones) Add all other ingredients boil till done. If you want your soup extra spicey dice the jalepenos, for not so spicy soup only put 1 whole jalepeno in.
    Serve over rice, (instant is fine)
    I hope you enjoy,
  7. Granniluvsu

Thanks alot for all your recipes so far. Sis, Lin,, Alaska, Victiria and Bevy.

They all sound delicious but I have no idea of ABOUT how much each recipe makes. I think there will be 6 people besides us making 8 unless I get more added to my list.

Could you please give me some idea of I should double, or whatever the recipe ?

Linda - I think I still have her recipe but have to go search for it. Also I am not sure how much that makes. We tend to make gluttons of ourselves and usually not to much left (maybe some for lunch the next day) unless the recipe makes a whole lot (-:

Rock - Thanks also for your little tip. Yes Betty Crocker doesn't look anything like she used (and neither do we, I agree).

It will be hard to chose but I am always on the look out for easy and GOOD soups, even after this dinner is over.

Warm hugs and more thanks to all,

[This Message was Edited on 01/20/2008]
  8. Granniluvsu

Does your recipe have a name or juse "Roasted tomatoe and sqaush soup - maybe???

It sounds easy and delicious too.

9. victoria

victoria New Member

so you can call it anything you want?!

The boxes are 1 quart each, also come in a smaller 16 oz size if you wanted to use tomato, roasted red pepper, and squash...

I use 1 can of chickpeas blended per 2 quarts, plus add 1 can chickpeas unblended and 1 12 or 16 oz jar of salsa (don't have one here right now to look at).

I've mixed and match as I've felt like it, it's always been good with all 3 in any proportion (like 1 smaller pkg each of tomato & pepper plus 1 quart squash) or only 2.

As far as servings, well, it depends on how big a serving is? And what else is being served.

I would think 16 oz+ each serving for a main meal course? At least at my house... lol.

all the best,

10. bevy2most

bevy2most New Member

I use a big stock pot, I add enough water to cover the chicken I am guessing around 6-8 quarts, This will easily feed 10 people.
  11. Granniluvsu

Bevy - whqt size bag of baby carrots do you use - the BIG bag. There is also a smaller bag. I am guessing the large due to the large quantity of soup. It that correct?

Victoria - How many are in your family?

Thanks alot again.

12. bevy2most

bevy2most New Member

I use the big bag, I only use 4 potatoes, because I don't care for them too much. You can definately add more if you like them. If you need more soup, you can add more water, and another can of tomatoes.
    I hope you enjoy,
  13. victoria

victoria New Member

Well there were 4, daughter's not at home now, but our son is. My husband is a big eater tho... and my son has finally really started liking the foods that I like and is working to put on weight (lost a lot due to chronic lyme)...

so 1/2 gallon soup feeds them barely (they supplement with other food unless I make extra) plus me (more than enough lol)!

From reading recipes, I've seen portion estimates for soups anywhere from a 'cup' (4-8 oz) to whatever "generous servings" means... guess it depends on if something's meant as an appetizer, part of main course, or THE main course?

14. Granniluvsu

I know about those growing boys and trying to gain weight for sports like my son did years ago.

Stay warm and all be good. I have to go make dinner now. Not soup today although it is all great day for it COLD here in TX. Was in the 20's this early morning. Not God !!!

Hugs to you and all,

15. Granniluvsu

I have made lentil soup and enjoy it. Just curious if yours is much different than mine. If it is close by you can give it to me. Don't wear yourself out trying to find it though.

Thanks alot !

[This Message was Edited on 01/21/2008]
  16. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

I'm going to give up one of my biggest secrets to making cheese soups. If I just don't have the time to make my soup from scratch this is what I do....

2 cans Cheddar Cheese soup (Campbell's)
    2 cups Chicken Stock
    Velveeta Cheese (cut a piece about one inch thick and dice it up and throw it in.
    Salt & Pepper to taste

(if you want to make a smaller batch just use one can of soup to one cup of chicken stock. OR, if you want to make more just use 4 cans of cheddar cheese soup and 4 cups of chicken stock).

You can use whatever type of vegetables with this soup. I always use onion, celery and carrots and sautee them until tender then throw the soup together. This recipe makes awesome cheesy brocolli soup and you just can't beat putting in cooked potatoes that are diced. Put some crispy bacon on top and you have cheesy potato soup! YUMM-O!!!
  17. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

Are you all set for your big "soup" night? Just been thinking about ya!
  18. Granniluvsu

I think I will make the cabbage bean soup from Ann Theresa this time but I will try some of the others too. They all sound so good. Trying to find something substantial tht will bit in the crock pot that will feed them all.

19. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I make this often and get many compliments and requests!
    Unfortunately I don't often cook from a recipe so it's hard to type out how to make it BUT you can add as much or as little spice/flavoring as you want. You really can't screw it up.
    1 lb chicken breast (you can either boil or I do on skillet with seasonings)
    4 cans chicken broth
    1 c. water
    4 cans white beans (Northern beans or White beans)
    1 can corn
    1 small can mild green chiles
    1/2 white onion chopped
    1 tsp cumin
    1 tsp cayenne pepper
    1 tsp chili powder
    1 tsp black pepper
    After you cook the chicken, throw everything in a pot and let it simmer all day (or a minimum of an hour)If you don't like it as spicy, cut the seasoning in half
    or add more water. If you like more broth, add more water and maybe a chicken bouillion cube.

Serve hot - top with shredded Monterey Jack cheese. (don't leave this out!)

This is great the next day as well. We serve with a nice crusty bread. Very easy and as I said, you can't mess it up - add or leave out whatever you like.